back to article Wannabe Rulers of the Internet hit control-alt-delete on power plan

The NetMundial Initiative – ICANN and Brazil's plan to wrest the internet from the US and the NSA – is attempting a reboot by asking everyone what it should actually do. An online survey, opened on Monday for two weeks, will be used to develop new "terms of reference" including what its focus should be, what work it should …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

is attempting a reboot by asking everyone what it should actually do.

Die?

1. Preston Munchensonton
      Coat

Re: is attempting a reboot by asking everyone what it should actually do.

TOP SECRET ICANN/BRAZIL PLAN:

Step 1 - Reboot

Step 2 - ????

Step 3 - Profit!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: is attempting a reboot by asking everyone what it should actually do.

Don't forget that the World Economic Forum was the third leg of this naked power grab and was the place that was chosen to announce it to the rest of world+dog with the beaming approval of our elites at Davos. Sooo... now they want to consult with the rest of us and then see if they can still pull this off. Control of the flow of information, once in their hands courtesy of the traditional media channels, has slipped between the fingers of their tightened grips and some are desperate to reassert it over the internet. Unfortunately, it's not an easy beast to contain given the number one design principle: censorship = damage to route around. They'll figure it out, eventually.

What I do know is that the "Wild West" aspect is getting ugly with "innocent by-standers" getting caught in the cross-fire between the (oft overlapping) criminals, activists, and agencies. Best advice is to have some computing capability absolutely air-gapped (not even updates) if you must have it on-hand. They'll sort this out over the next decade. Wouldn't surprise me to see licenses (along the lines of UK guns) for unrestricted compute and the rest of it all locked down nationally. Meantime, popcorn. Lots of popcorn.

2. Ole Juul

new "terms of reference"

They've already shown what their "terms of reference" are, so why would we believe they're suddenly turned into good guys?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only way to do this is...

for every country to police and manage it's own Internet. If you don't like ours, then build your own and connect it using standards.

I for one, will not be buying anything from outside North America on the Internet, not because I don't want to but since BoA will block my card number in most cases. So no financial issue then.

Really, why should I care if the Internet is "balkanized"? Russia is off my bucket list as well as China and the Middle East. You fools are doing a great job of making the UK a really low probability, might as well add the rest of Europe. Better to block the whole IP range then since there is no interest and the hackers I really worry about aren't from here. Please, feel free to do the same, if I never hear another patronizing Brit tourist complaining about the food and the "Colonials" here it will be too soon.

Face it, there is NO IMPARTIAL body that is competent enough to take over the management of the Internet. What we have now is just fine even if you think the NSA has invaded your underwear drawer. Believe me, they don't really care what kind you wear unless they can tie you to terrorism in some way. If they ARE interested in you, then do you really think that a divided internet will stop them?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon