back to article Lizard Squad threatens Malaysia Airlines with data dump: We DID TOO hack your site

Infamous hacktivists Lizard Squad are threatening to dump data they supposedly snatched during the process of defacing the website of Malaysia Airlines. Surfers visiting Malaysia Airlines (www.malaysiaairlines.com) website on Monday were confronted by a bragging message from Lizard Squad rather than flight timetables. The …

1. Gordon 10
    Thumb Up

This is when I support the collection of metadata

Identify some of the suspected members of lizard squad, get a warrant to access their *recent (and future)* isp and phone records, *BAM* throw the book at the odious little toads.

Note to "CallMeDave" & TheMillipede all done within the remit of existing legislation.

Not withstanding the Fed's are probably working over the next "Sabu" as we speak.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: This is when I support the collection of metadata

Wanting ot exchange a little freedom for the safety of Malaysian Airlines?

Making a deal with the devil, you are.

2. Mark 85

Re: This is when I support the collection of metadata

You can't have it both ways... what about them collecting YOUR metadata? If they collect a little, they want it all.

2. Dr Who

In many many ways I would rather have my website compromised than have someone take control of my zone file.

3. Michael Nidd

User data remains secured

How long were they redirecting traffic before putting up a 404 joke, and did the airline take any online transactions during that time?

1. Electric Panda
      Holmes

Re: User data remains secured

That "joke" was unintentionally clever. 9M-MRO (the MH370 aircraft) was... wait for it... the 404th Boeing 777 ever built. Seriously, look it up.

Back to more serious matters: yes, it's entirely possible there was something more nefarious going on underneath what was ostensibly a mere defacement. Although serious hackers don't like to draw attention to what they're doing by pulling obvious stunts like this, it's entirely possible that these guys were doing something much more serious and the 404 was to either a) take the piss or b) detract attention.

4. Anon5000
    Facepalm

You are calling LizardSquad 'Hacktivists'? On what other planet does the author live on?

Almost as bad as labelling someone a hacker, when all they have done is purchased some time and zombies from a botnet owner.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do we really know

In the pursuit of facts do we actually have proof this is not some other agency trying to get a mob going?

It takes a brave commentor to ask for data mining, better line up some proof before going there.

My initial reaction was one of "what now!" but then I realised I might just have been played for exactly that.

6. Richard Boyce

I admit I laughed

These immature people deserve what they will get, but I do admit I laughed out loud when I read the 404 joke.

7. Mark 85

Mainstream Media is interesting on this...

They seem to be claiming that it was a splinter group of the ISIS gang. They mention "Lizard Squad" and one called them "Lizard Squid" (corrected in later version). So.. it's now official because the media always gets their facts right...

Points to El Reg for getting it right.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon