back to article Google signs up Sprint and T-Mobile to sell its cellphone plans – report

Google's plans to become a mobile phone operator – which we outlined earlier this month – have grown closer to reality with the news that the search giant has signed deals to run calls and data over Sprint and T-Mobile's network. According to news reports, Google will become a virtual network operator by buying access to the …

1. Mikel

OK Google

Shut up and take my money!

It would be a pleasure to have Google be my cellular provider, doing VOIP where there is WiFi, falling over to a MVNO network at need.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: OK Google

My #1 objection to cellular is the restrictions on data. I wouldn't be torrenting or doing any massive data grabs but hitting a low cap is ridiculous, especially in light of the fact that despite their assertions, it's all data on those networks. If Google can do something reasonable, well I'm interested. Otherwise? Send me an email, I just might get back to you when I hit an open WiFi.

2. RyokuMas
      Joke

Shut up and take my money!

... but Google's tariffs are measured in personal data, not currency, right?

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

@RyoukuMas: As opposed to the mobile providers with NSA full-slurp boxes as old as the exchange?

2. tesmith47

smith1965@hotmail.com

hell yeah, kick att and verizon in the teeth!!

i use an att mvno , H2o for $40 month 2g data unlimited talk/ text but the customer service is not good and they dont speak understandable english. i would give google a go , especialy if they were cheaper!!! (and i could understand what the hell they are saying!!!)

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge

It will be interesting to see if Google can get Sprint and T-Mobile on the same page - and release a phone that can seamlessly switch between CDMA and GSM networks. Typically in the US I find that T-Mobile offers good service in cities but no service in the countryside - Sprint has much better coverage than T-Mobile nationwide but only via CDMA.

1. Preston Munchensonton

Sprint has an active LTE deployment in the US underway, so the CDMA elements won't necessarily be in the deal. I would think it makes matters significantly easier for Google if they can stick with just GSM-based technologies for the cellular bits (obvious VoIP for voice wherever they can).

1. TelcoPhil

The main difference between the technologies is that both CDMA & GSM can support cellular and data, whereas LTE can only support data.

So what does this mean? It means that if the phone does not have CDMA/GSM technology then the cellular (voice) services would NOT work, only data.

2. TelcoPhil

Google has their own phone.

Its pluggable modules.

Its coming, watch for it.

4. Jeff 8

Republic Wireless

Republic Wireles offer this type of service already. Calls are routed over wifi when connected, and when you are not in a WIFI zone you use the Sprint Network. My wife has their Moto X phone and the service works well.

$5 a month and you can call, text and have unlimited data. Wifi only though

$10 a month you can call and text (unlimited), data is only available on wifi.

$25 a month you can call, text and have 3G data (unlimited).

$40 a month you can call, text and have 4G data (unlimited).

Way cheaper than many other providers and the service has been uninterrupted when changing between a wifi zone and mobile network.

It'll be interesting to see Googles pricing on the phones and service. With T Mobile too, I wonder if they will allow you to change sims. That would really get my attention.

1. TelcoPhil

Re: Republic Wireless

I'm 64 years old, I never txt.

Only txt I get is if I forget my password, but even that can be changed to a phone call.

5. Howard Hanek

Who Was Their 1st Choice?

Both Sprint and T-Mobile are also rans in the US market with 2nd or even 3rd class service. I don't think Google is really serious about Wireless.

1. phil dude
      Stop

Re: Who Was Their 1st Choice?

That would seem to be a sweeping statement regarding service. I have T-mobile and it works fine where I live. I will add that service can be a bit spotty "in the wilderness".

But AT&T is way more expensive and had ludicrous "we'll cap your ass" policies.

I pay $50/mth for unlimited everything, including calls/txts to Europe and I can use it there too...

P.

1. TelcoPhil

Re: Who Was Their 1st Choice?

Sprint offers guranteed $200 device trade-in for T-Mobile defectors

from Androidguys just today it posted

6. MarkCFO

You Go, Google!!!

This is wonderful news.

And to The Register: your site is excellent, btw.

We use T-Mobile and get great service but with Verizon's recent, to put it diplomatically, malodorous and privacy-robbing UIDH activities, the U.S. could sure use another carrier as quickly as possible.

7. TelcoPhil

I'm sure my friends still working in wireless may worry.

More headaches.

Who, or what service gets the trouble ticket?

Google, Sprint, or T-Mobil, yes, they are next to sign.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like