back to article Leaked doc: Europe's justice chiefs forming plans to cosy up to ISPs

Europe’s justice ministers appear to be forming plans to make it easier to access ISPs' data, as part of a series of proposals intended to limit the spread of online radicalising material. The proposals were revealed when an internal document for discussion at the Justice and Home Affairs Council in Riga (on 29, 30 January) …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

limit the spread of online radicalising material

thus spreading online materials non-radicalising material. In other words, blocking their propaganda in order to spout ours. And I thought the net neutrality was enshrined in this or that, lol.

the boys in black say it's no laughing m

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't think anyone has a problem with an intelligence led judicial process as a tool for the counter terrorism forces

But that's not what they want, or what they want it for...

And there doesn't seem to be any remit or penalties on data security ?

3. Pen-y-gors

When will it sink in?

Dear Law-makers

It's simple. I am not a terrorist, therefore there is no reason or justification for you or anyone else storing details of my movements, my activities, my financial transactions or my contacts.

If that person over there is reasonably suspected of terrorist activities then the police should be able to ask a senior judge nicely (with their reasons, obviously) for an order permitting them to request that various bodies start recording details of that person's movements, activities and communications etc. and pass them to the police.

Is that so difficult to understand?

Yours sincerely

A law-abiding citizen.

1. John G Imrie
      Happy

Re: When will it sink in?

You want to remove a power of the state, that makes you a terrorist.

It's only funny because it's true.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"You want to remove a power of the state, that makes you a terrorist."

Maybe be could organise meeting to discuss it ? There's a nice clearing near the river at Runnymede.

1. Andrew Meredith

>>There's a nice clearing near the river at Runnymede<<

have an upvote :-)

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

I want radicalising material on the internet ...

... where it can be publicly debunked. The only reason to suppress would be if it were all true. Are they talking about MP's expenses?

6. Dan 55 Silver badge

MS got a request for data over the Charlie Hebdo attacks

And they gave the data in 45 minutes, including checking if the claim was legal (which it was).

The current system works. There is no need for these powers.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't get it.

What the heck does having complete records from the PNR have to do with the Charlie Hebdo attacks? Unless that somehow also covers automobiles?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: I don't get it.

It doesn't. Everyone's adding their bright idea onto the wishlist on the back of a tragedy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like