back to article TERROR in SPACE: ISS 'NAUTS FLEE 'gas leak' to Russian module

The US section of the International Space Station has been evacuated due to the detection of "harmful emissions". The Russian Federal Space agency said a leak from the cooling system took place around 11.44 MSK (7:44 GMT). "Currently, the US segment of the ISS is isolated, the crew is safe and is located on the Russian segment …

1. WraithCadmus

Big Three?

What are the Big Three Hadfield is talking about?

At a guess, these are three things you do not want to have happen in space, what are they? Loss of power, loss of atmosphere, and fire?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Big Three?

Xenomorphs/Tribbles being one of them.

Possibly.

1. Crisp

I'd rather be up against a Tribble than a Xenomorph.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Polymorph surely?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Moties. All classes.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

But especially not watchmakers...

2. Pet Peeve

Presumably, the big three gases that you don't want running around in station air. I would guess CO2, Hydrogen, and Ammonia.

3. Scott 26

> What are the Big Three Hadfield is talking about?

They are right in his blog.... wasn't hard to find:

http://colchrishadfield.tumblr.com/post/108081273658/emergency-on-the-space-station-this-morning-high

"If it breaks through to the inside it is one of the big 3 emergencies. The other two we train for are fire/smoke & contaminated atmosphere/medical. "

2. Extra spicey vindaloo
    Joke

They need some kind of hazmat suit with integrated oxygen to go and check it out, do you think those clever nasa boys might be able to find something, anything, that they could use as a hazmat suit?

;-)

1. JDX Gold badge

They probably store them in their side of the ISS.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
        Joke

Nah; don't want to use the ones in the US side of the station - might drown using one of those (apart from having to open the door to get to it). Better to use a Rusky suit; but that means sending a cosmonaut (oh the horror!).

Why not open the hatch and take a sniff?

The smell of ammonia is hard to ignore.

1. Jonathan Richards 1
            Boffin

Oo! Oo! Eyewitness account!

No, not from the space station emergency, but apropos the suggestion to take a sniff. In a chemistry lab far, far, away, and in a time long, long ago when hazardous materials were still allowed to be in the same space as children, I saw a chemistry master (who was generally very careful [1]) make a stupid mistake. During a demonstration, he reached for a reagent bottle, expecting it to be some solvent or other, and took a sniff to confirm. Turns out, it was concentrated ammonia solution, and one little sniff quite literally knocked him backwards. Moral: you really don't want to get NH3 up your nose.

[1] This was the same man who taught us the correct way to do an olfactory sampling: hold the material some distance away from you, and using a cupped hand gently waft a little of the air over it towards your nose: don't draw breath deeply: you might not want that stuff down in your lungs.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What?!

Beans again?!!! When will those yanks ever learn...

1. WraithCadmus
      Mushroom

Re: What?!

Didn't the last supply run contain delayed Christmas goods?

This must be the sprouts at work.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Mushroom

Mmmmmm. SPROUTS IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Mark 85

Or the fruitcake from 5 years ago sitting in the bottom of the storage bin.

2. jai

I had a vision of the Blazin' Saddles scene, but with everyone wearing astronaut helmets

4. adnim
    Joke

Listening to Fox News?

See title

5. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Coat

SpaceX

Your takeaway curry delivery service.

Just wafting the coat tales and blaming the dog.

Paris Hilton

Re: SpaceX

Coattails, shirley?

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
        Facepalm

Re: SpaceX

Indeed. Rapid typing - my only (poor) excuse.

6. Pete 2 Silver badge

You can't get to there from here

> The station is split into two sectors: the Russian segment and the United States segment

So, which segment has access to the escape pod?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: You can't get to there from here

The russian one. Soyuz attaches to any of the russian modules (multiple attachment points). Not sure where it is attached now.

1. phuzz Silver badge

There'll be two Soyuz attached right now, as there's six crew on board, and you can only just fit three people in one.

It does beg the question of what they'd do if there was a problem in the Russian segment.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
          Trollface

They'd have to do a bit of EVA. Like in films.

Trollface

The connecting tunnel between the Russian and US sector is called "The Ukraine", not sure why.

1. Jonathan Richards 1
              Joke

Whereas it ought to be called Checkpoint Charlie.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

They'd have to do a bit of CGI. Like in films.

FTFY

2. imanidiot Silver badge

If there's a problem in the russian section they retreat into the Soyuz capsules. Until the US has a man-rated ship capable of docking to the US side, a problem on the russian side means abandoning the station until a repair can be bodged together from the outside or by spacewalking from a soyuz to the US side airlock.

7. JassMan

True for the whole world

"Harmful emissions detected on American segment"

And now they want want to make sure the whole of Europe suffers from GMOed, over-hormoned, agricultural produce with no flavour by corrupting our governments with the promise of benefits from TAFTA, TTIP etc.

Re: True for the whole world

You forget the ubiquitous taste of chicken.

8. Simon Harris

Big Bang

Howard's space toilet's on the blink again.

9. Thomas Gray

Faulty sensor?

Is it an AE-35 unit?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Florida1920

Re: Space Station Updates

At the top the page just tells me Loading..... for ever. Lower down I thought that the latest news is/was/will be from 1st October 2015? :)

I read elsewhere that nothing actually detected bad stuff, but a cooling water pressure increase, followed by air-pressure increase suggested the possibility of an amonia leak.

1. Florida1920

At the top the page just tells me Loading..... for ever.

Using NoScript, the only script I'm allowing on that page is nasa.gov. I sure hope non-U.S. IPs aren't being blocked, but it wouldn't surprise me.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

You may need to allow usa.gov too Working fine here from the UK

(I temporarily allowed all this page)

1. Jonathan Richards 1
            Black Helicopters

Re: Permissions

> You may need to allow usa.gov too. Working fine here from the UK

Posted about javascript, but relevant on just so many levels...

11. Any mouse Cow turd

failsafe

I thought the whole space industry matra was multiple redundancy. How come they they only seem to have a single sensor which may or may not be giving a dodgy reading?

Facepalm

Re: failsafe

It is. Imagine that "something" is dangerous. Now think that if you only put 1 sensor and it doesn't work. If the "something" bad happens, everyone dies.

So you would put more than one. Now what do you so if 1 sensor says that "something" has happened? You play fail safe. After all maybe the something is only detectable in one location, or maybe your redundant sensor has failed.

Let me ask you a question. If somebody pushes the fire alarm button in your company(/school/whatever), do you evacuate, or wait until every single fire alarm button is pressed?

1. Rabbit80

Re: failsafe

"Let me ask you a question. If somebody pushes the fire alarm button in your company(/school/whatever), do you evacuate, or wait until every single fire alarm button is pressed?"

We had a fire alarm test just last week on our site (specifically to test peoples reactions).. Results: 20% of people evacuated, of those 90% returned to their offices before being given the all clear...

12. chivo243 Silver badge

Ruskies and Americans in space

Maxim Brajlovsky: Easy as cake, huh?

Walter Curnow: Pie. Easy as pie.

13. wolfetone Silver badge

It's always the way...

The Russians are useless potato farmers, until something built in America breaks.

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Mark 85

Sensor failure or equipment failure?

American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like