back to article Boybanders ONE DIRECTION launch DoS attack on open-source bods

Harry Styles and his pals in One Direction have launched a denial of service attack on an open source coding conference in Cardiff, with the band maliciously pinging tens-of-thousands of its teenage fans at the city on the same day as DjangoCon 2015. Organisers had planned the first UK version of the convention for people who …

1. Anonymous Coward
    1. Blofeld's Cat
      Coat

Re: best band ever

"Music to code Ruby to"

I thought that was the "Kaiser Chiefs"...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: best band ever

"Music to code Ruby to"

Kenny Rogers, surely ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I read as far as "Boybanders"

Then swapped to the next story.

Am i out of touch?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: I read as far as "Boybanders"

Not really, it's just not the Monkeys this time.

1. returnmyjedi

Monkees.

2. sabroni Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Then swapped to the next story.

Then came and commented on how you weren't interested in it. Cool!

3. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Maybe not. Maybe the author has not realised that One Dimension Direction (I'm sorry, that's how I read 1D, which they use as an abbreviation) are all now over 20, and have pretty much shed their 'boy band' image (they're often seen sporting stubble and other 'adult' stylings).

Mind you, Take That are still occasionally called a 'boy band' even though they are all over 40.

3. Ketlan
    Devil

Lordy...

'140,000 One Direction fans have suddenly taken all the hotel accommodation in the city'

We're doomed, I tell ya. Doomed.

1. Cliff

Re: Lordy...

I thought this was going to be one of those 'uses the same hash tag as...' stories. There's still time though to call this the #djangoconf2015 tour...

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Facepalm

It's not a denial of service attack. It's a Denial Of Hotel attack. Hence my use of the appropriate icon...

1. GreggS

No - Lordy are playing the following weekend!

3. launcap Silver badge
      Flame

>We're doomed, I tell ya. Doomed.

Time for a hard rock hallelujah?

(OK - so it's an i instead of a y.. so sue me)

4. Daniele Procida

It's one way to get publicity

Just to confirm that we've been able to shift the event by two days, and all is well.

If any Django/Python developers would like to spend a week in June in sunny Cardiff (as you will know, there is always fine weather in South Wales in June, because of the Welsh Government) do join us. There's a huge supportive community out there, and programmers from the UK are under-represented in it.

Even if you can't stay for the whole six days, Sunday 31st May is our open day of talks and introductory tutorials, and all events will be free.

We also have an accessibility programme - there'll be speech to text transcription, assistance for those with visual disabilities, a free crèche and more.

There's more information about all this on our website.

Finally, I don't think it's true that One Direction did it because they are fans of Rails, that was just the journalist's joke - they seem much more like PHP developers to me.

1. DarkwavePunk

Re: It's one way to get publicity

I think that comparing 1D with PHP is a beautiful two way put down. Bravo!

1. Daniele Procida

I'm searching GitHub for evidence. The Rails community are vehemently denying responsibility (for One Direction).

Just to add to the intrigue, it turns out the Manic Street Preachers are in town the same night; Haskell coders to a man, I'm willing to bet.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Big Brother

The Rails community are vehemently denying responsibility (for One Direction).

There is no smoke without fire.

A couple of drones have already been dispatched.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

are the drones the people going to see 1D ?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Could work both ways

Arrange an Erlang conference the same weekend as a Leonard Cohen gig, might get a bigger attendance.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

Re: Could work both ways

Is that because she's still hanging upside down?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All you need to do now is annoy North Korea.

(Anonymous because, well, you know, North Korea, Kim Whats-his-name and all that...)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Kim Ill Dong wasn't it?

1. Someone Else Silver badge
          Coat

You mean His Eternal Roundness, Kim Bac-un.

2. TitterYeNot
        Coat

"All you need to do now is annoy North Korea."

By sending them over there on tour?

I know North Korea has one of the worst human rights records on the planet and allows thousands of its citizens to starve to death in concentration camps, but inflicting 'One Direction' on them in retribution is a bit harsh isn't it...

5. Mtech25
    Megaphone

You know who i feel sorry for

Cardiff. I Hope the Cobra Committee is already plan to send the military in with large amount of Earplugs.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: You know who i feel sorry for

I don't. I have tickets to see Ireland v Wales in Cardiff, you should see what the hotels are charging for one night then!

1. Gezza

Re: You know who i feel sorry for

... tickets to see Wales v Ireland. ...

FTFY

/pedant

6. jake Silver badge

Does anyone, anywhere, actually care?

Not including kiddies still living in Mum's basement, of course.

Just asking.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Does anyone, anywhere, actually care?

No. You can tell by the fact no-ones commenting on the story.... Well, except for all the comments about not caring.

7. Ian Michael Gumby
    Mushroom

How is this a DoS Attack?

Sorry, but I was looking forward to seeing an article of how a boy band was really a group of script kiddies who want to be l33t hackers. ;-)

Boy was I disappointed.

I wonder if hackers from Anonymous will counter attack the Boy Band's web site now...

1. Captain TickTock
      Joke

Re: How is this a DoS Attack?

Room service, of course

2. Bucky O' Hare

Hell no! I'm a web developer since 1998 and have been reading this site for just as long.

And I also happen to run a massively popular One Direction fan site (don't ask), which has had 2 DDOS attacks itself in the past year. It's not a particularly pleasant thing to deal with, nor do our ISP like it either. We've also had a couple of incidents with the lovely chaps over at 4Chan spamming our forum.

That's "one thing" I didn't like having to clear up after.

1. theblackhand

"And I also happen to run a massively popular One Direction fan site (don't ask), "

Let me guess - there was a recession, you needed the work, when you went to the interview the lift seemed to go an awfully long way down, it's very hot in the office, you always thought Beel-Zebub was an unusual name but it seems to suit your boss well...

8. Stretch

best thing they ever did

9. Baldie

I am fed up of their evil schemes

A few years ago they tried to prevent me getting my phone back from the shop that had repaired it by staging some sort of meeja luv in. After fighting my way to the door through crowds of pant wettingly excited pre teen girls I managed (without too much difficulty it has to be said) to convince the security guard that I had never heard of these people, and just wanted to get my goods back. I was allowed in to the hallowed event where I may have stood shoulder to shoulder with a young superstar, or a phone shop attendant - not sure I am able to tell the difference, while I reclaimed my phone.

This is the only time 1D have ever intruded on my life. as my 10 and 12 year old daughters both think they are pants and never play their 'music'.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: I am fed up of their evil schemes

Congratulations on having wiser DNA than most.

May your further breedings be equally successful.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"After fighting my way to the door through crowds of pant wettingly excited pre teen girls"

with such a graphic description of the young girls, I demand to ask

was it you who was getting pant wettingly excited

3. Eponymous Cowherd

My daughters are also 1D haters (good).

Trouble is they like Babymetal. It's like a cross between a cat being strangled and nails being scraped down a blackboard.

1. sabroni Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: Babymetal

Su-metal has an awesome voice, I read somewhere that the entire project was dreamt up as a vehicle for her. Certainly sounds nothing like a cat being strangled. The little'uns are a bit more shrill but they're there for dancing more than singing.... Altogether they're a breath of fresh air in a increasingly fragmented and insular metal scene!

1. Hairless Biker

Gimme chocolate!!!

1. Scott 26
            Windows

OK - I googled that and watched the live performance music video of gimme chocolate....

I still don't know a) what I watched; b) if I want to watch it again.....

- didn't like the choreographed dance routine

- didn't like the overall stage presence

- did like the backing band

- was overall, strangely addictive (like a train wreak, I suppose)

2. Sarah Balfour

I thought they werer assembled for the Japanese version of X Pop Factor Idol. The scary thing is that they were put together in 2009 when the youngest was only 8 or 9 - what does that say about Japanese parents…?! I know Oriental kids can be spremely gifted (when I was at school, there were 3 half-Chinese girls (they were all still in the prep when I left). I can't recall what the eldest played, but the middle one was a concert-level violinist; the youngest, Jasmine, was the reason I quit piano - it was embarrassing struggling through Grade 4/5, when there's a four-year-old in the room next-door about to sit her Diploma! HTF she managed octave chords (I never could, and my hands are very small but hers were tiny even for a 4-year-old).

3. Soap Distant

Arghh! I can't unhear that now and it's 'orribly catchy! ~scrabbles frantically for something else to listen to~

1. Hairless Biker
            Devil

Ha! Gotcha! Now, for a REAL earworm-fusion of J-pop & Metal, try 'Doki Doki Morning'!

(runs & hides from mob wielding pitchforks)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That photo is so sulky I want to know what is going on. Have they just been told it's bed time?

11. MassiveBob

Won't somebody please think of the...

Django users who are also 1D fans??

They could have killed two birds with one stone but now they have to spend extra on accommodation!!

But seriously though, I thought Cardiff was a no-go zone for none Welsh?? #foxnewsfacts

1. Daniele Procida

Re: Won't somebody please think of the...

We've thought of everything: we have invited One Direction to come to the open day of free talks and tutorials and learn some Python skills, and in return we hope they'll be willing to play a few songs for us during the code sprints.

1. MassiveBob

Excellent!!

Where can I can people register??

2. Someone Else Silver badge
        Mushroom

@ Daniele Procida -- Re: Won't somebody please think of the...

[...] and in return we hope they'll be willing to play a few songs for us during the code sprints.

Danielle, you heart (such as it is) may be in the right place, but that last damn thing I'd need while coding is that caterwauling going on the background. Doing that will give Django a bad name that will last forever!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Quite the reverse - Cardiff U is where West Country people go who want a decent uni, not too far from home, and not full of the public school tossers that make Bristol and Bath so expensive and unpleasant.

My daughter went to Cardiff and Erlangen, both highly recommended.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

AT LAST!

We can wall up Cardiff, and fill it with water, and drop those sharks with the frikkin' lasers in there - that'll rid us of 1D BWAhahahahaha-what? There aren't enough BRICKS?! You have GOT to be joking?! AAAAARGH! Foiled again!

1. VinceH
      Mushroom

Re: AT LAST!

I say we just take off and nuke the site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

1. Little Mouse

No need for anything so extreme - 1 Direction will inevitably fall foul of the invading aliens, dinosaurs, evil masterminds, etc that regularly visit Cardiff en-route to conquering THE WORLD!!!

1. Daniele Procida

No need for anything so extreme - 1 Direction will inevitably fall foul of the invading aliens, dinosaurs, evil masterminds, etc that regularly visit Cardiff en-route to conquering THE WORLD!!!

We have those at every DjangoCon.

13. disgruntled yank

Bah

Good think OD didn't try to horn in on a Sinatra conference.

14. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Eew

Someone I knew used to be a cleaner in a moderately sized venue. She hated nights after boy bands. The floor was covered with puddles of teenage 'over excitement'.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Eew

Really!

15. channel extended

140,000?

Does this mean that the band only has 140,000 fans? Or does it mean that only 140,000 can get permission form their children to go?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

I suspected that listening to One Direction was not conducive to intellectual development...

But I never knew that they were also bent on sabotaging technological progress!

(One Direction=sign of the Apocalypse!)

17. Scotthva5
    Paris Hilton

Like every other "boy band" (Christ on a bloody bike I hate that term) on the planet, their popularity will plummet once their adoring, fawning, panty waving/wetting 10 year old fans grow their first pubic hairs.

...'nuff said.

Paris, because I'm quite sure her fanny is bald as well...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like