back to article FBI boss: Sony hack was DEFINITELY North Korea, haters gonna hate

The director of the FBI has defended his bureau's claim that the hacking attack against Sony Pictures was the work of the North Korean government – saying skeptics "don't have the facts that I have." Speaking at a cybersecurity conference at Fordham University in New York City on Wednesday, FBI boss James Comey said he has " …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah...

...we'll believe you, given your track record. Not.

1. streaky

Re: Yeah...

The "evidence" strongly suggests the FBI might be terminally retarded. There's literally no politer way to put it.

They're just dumb and incompetent.

1. BillG
        Megaphone

The director of the FBI has defended his bureau's claim that the hacking attack against Sony Pictures was the work of the North Korean government – saying skeptics "don't have the facts that I have."

...adding "Trust us, we wouldn't lie to you TEN times in a row, would we?"

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

We have top men working on it right now.

Who?

Top men ...

2. jgarbo
        Holmes

Hardly dumb and incompetent. Rather, ordered from above to follow a political strategy. I'll bet a few of them are gnashing their teeth at this unsupportable red herring.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

...to the sound of unstoppable laughter from the (guilty or not) North Koreans, I guess. A bit like a class snitch. Ah well.

3. thomas k.

Re: dumb and incompetent

In this instance, I would say that is probably not the case, as that would imply they believe this story they're putting out. Based on the information available, however, that story would appear to be an outright and deliberate fabrication. Since we can't prove they're lying, they're free to insist it's the gospel truth.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually, I believe them more than some fanboy that initially supported the Sony hack, only to backtrack once they discovered they were supporting terrorism...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Surely making a film about assasinating the leader of a country is the terrorism? :P

3. big_D Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Breaking news: The team that found intellegence about the WMDs in Iraq are working this case.

4. mike2R

Why would the FBI lie about this?

North Korea is absolutely loving this. Even if they didn't do it, they'd want people to think they did. It makes them look relevant and powerful, especially given the initial spineless cave in over showing the film.

What reason would the FBI have to hand a propaganda coup like this to North Korea on a plate? Unless they are pretty damn sure they did do it, and would prefer to at least control the story.

1. g e

@Mike2R

Perhaps because it would be injurious to a career to say it wasn't the Norks just after your prez has announced sanctions against them on this very pretext.

1. mike2R

@g e

Ok, but then you're just left with the question of why would the Obama administration aid North Korea's propaganda efforts in this way? It isn't like they couldn't find another excuse for more sanctions.

This is either a complete cock up and they've made a mistake, or North Korea is indeed behind it. In either case I assume they genuinely think that they were behind it, since nothing else makes any sense.

Not "this is evidence of a Machiavellian conspiracy" doesn't make any sense, rather it just literally doesn't make any sense.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

"Why would the FBI lie about this?"

To justify more spending to defend against the North Koreans. Congress is a bit uneasy about pouring even more money into fighting terrorists (Especially since they haven't done much to the US lately), so the FBI / NSA / CIA need a new straw man to justify next year's budgets.

5. Vimes

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article5641188.html

No comment needed I think...

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: Vimes Re: Yeah...

<CENSORED!>

2. Vimes

..."don't have the facts that I have."...

Then give them to us.

Funny how their attitude to accessing information changes when it's their own information that's under discussion...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's the bait, in case you have the hook.

They pretend to have the facts so when and if the facts have to be revealed, they can just make them up and walk away (it's all about plausible deniability). Sadly, you should just believe he's lying to you now, and if he ever reveals the "facts", he's lying to you then.

I approach these statements equally: it's a fact anything he says are lies, so I look for the truth in the logic of the rebuttals. But the truth is always in a cold cave, and there usually isn't a snow'den to find, so I may never know. In all seriousness, it could be exactly what the F.B.I states word for word, or it could be Mickey Mouse with his new Death Star technology...they are equally probable to me.

People usually freak when they realize the government lies to them. I don't. Go ahead and lie to me about the nukes, because the truth won't help me sleep any better. However, why the fuck is a U.S.A government official lying to me about a PRIVATE JAPANESE COMPANY!?!?! It saddens me that companies like Sony (in fact Sony did) change my countries laws regarding the rights of it's private citizens, AND, have my country's government agency which is paid for by MY TAX DOLLARS (NOT SONY'S!!!) look into this shit.

So for this entire matter, fuck the F.B.I. and I hope Sony gets hit even harder next time. MAKE THEM CRAWL!!!!!!!!!!

1. Message From A Self-Destructing Turnip

Is it not obvious that the NSA/FBI are behind the attack? They need a perceived cyber terrorist "threat" in order to maintain the funding and powers needed to carry on doing what they are doing. "Next time it could be an American company that gets hit, we need to defend against this..." I am fairly sure we will hear them say this soon.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

"I have very high confidence in that attribution."

Unfortunately the à priori probability of a govt official being right or actually telling the truth is so low right now that its multiplicative factor drags the gentleman's high confidence straight into the shitter.

Especially when the FBI is involved as these are they guys bragging about discovering terrorist plots that they themselves incited.

1. Vimes

And it's not as if the authorities on that side of the pond would knowingly allow false evidence to make it's way through their legal system, is there?

Oh, wait...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/12/20/ferguson-prosecutor-says-he-knew-some-witnesses-were-clearly-not-telling-the-truth-they-testified-anyway/

...or ignore concerns about their own evidence?

Umm...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/justice-dept-fbi-to-review-use-of-forensic-evidence-in-thousands-of-cases/2012/07/10/gJQAT6DlbW_story.html

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Stop

Re: Vimes

The reason the Ferguson "witnesses" were allowed to present their evidence was for a simple reason - if they had been excluded it would have given the activists another reason to deny the findings of the jury. Letting those "witnesses" state their claims, such as the infamous "hands up" fabrication, allowed the jury to consider and reject those very claims as fraudulent and at the same time took the wind out of the deniers' sails.

As for the "tainted" evidence article, it opens by pointing out that one of the parties opening the investigation was the FBI. The review of over 2100 cases found five cases where DNA analysis - a technique not available at the time - showed hair-matching analysis used in evidence could be wrong (http://wrongfulconvictionsblog.org/2014/07/22/kevin-martin-exonerated-after-26-years-in-prison-fbi-forensic-hair-analysis-in-error/).

1. Tom 13

Re: The reason the Ferguson "witnesses" were allowed

If you're going to confront racism, don't pussyfoot around about it.

The reason the "witnesses" were allowed to present their "evidence" is that if they weren't there would have been an all out race riot in Ferguson with the biggots in the WH supporting the burners and looters.

It's time we stopped kowtowing to racists of any kind.

4. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Confidence

"There is not much in life I have high confidence about,"

Maybe I'm just being too judgmental on the poor dear, but shouldn't the Director of the FBI have quite a few things he's highly confident about? I mean, theoretically, he should be able to stand in front of a judge in a criminal case and say "Your honor, we of the FBI are highly confident this man is as guilty as sin". A man shouldn't go to jail because the Director of the FBI says "We're fairly sure this guy might be guilty."

And shouldn't he be highly confident in the capabilities and levels of professionalism that his employees have?

What about high confidence in the investigative methods the FBI uses?

High confidence he can find his way home at night?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Sorry, but if a man is to be denied his birthright to freedom, I prefer it to be because there is incontrovertible proof, not because some official from a 3-letter agency declares he is highly confident that said man should be put in jail.

And the fact that the FBI states that IP addresses are a strong basis for its opinion does nothing to reassure me that he actually knows what he is talking about. He would need to demonstrate that he had proof that said IP addresses had not been spoofed before I even started to begin to give credit to this White House mouthpiece' drivel.

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Joke

Trust Me.

Hahahahahahaha Hahahahaha Hahahahahah {wheeze}

Joke alert, because that's what he is.

6. Cipher
    FAIL

Comey has no such proof, what he has is face to be saved.

"I'm right, 'cause I have info you don't." Childish bullshit. Produce it or STFU Comey...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah

and my dad could beat up his dad!

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Cipher

LOL, it's not like certain people said exactly the same thing about the FBI's case against Sabu, only to be calling him a "turncoat" a few weeks later when the evidence of how he rolled on his crew came out.

7. ThomH

... and apparently the FBI doesn't have the same idea of the burden of proof as I do

If the party that makes an accusation cannot or will not evidence it, I don't believe the accusation.

1. Roger Kynaston
      Headmaster

Re: ... and apparently the FBI doesn't have the same idea of the burden of proof as I do

Ermm. Evdence is a noun I am afraid.

"If the party that makes an accusation cannot or will not provide evidence, I don't believe the accusation."

Lynn Truss eat your heart out!

1. Afernie
        Facepalm

Re: ... and apparently the FBI doesn't have the same idea of the burden of proof as I do

Oh Dear.

verb: evidence; 3rd person present: evidences; past tense: evidenced; past participle: evidenced; gerund or present participle: evidencing

be or show evidence of.

"the quality of the bracelet, as evidenced by the workmanship, is exceptional"

1. ThomH

@Roger Kynaston

Evidence is a verb according to the OED and according to Merriam Webster, and has been since at least 1610. Even Wiktionary knows it.

The Dictionary of Modern Legal Usage entry on evidence (noted as a transitive verb) is available via Google Books.

I agree: Lynn Truss would probably be sad if she read this thread.

8. razorfishsl

The question is...

if it was an upset employee, was that person capable of routing traffic so that it appeared the traffic came from North Korea or is there actually a '3rd party' involved in all this mess?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

If they have access to Sony' external network, then certainly. Set up a router (Could just be a basic PC with a BGP daemon) on a network that allows BGP advertisements and start advertising for AS131279.

Trivial BGP trickery that can be carried out in afternoon by a network engineer with a just a basic consumer router (with DD-WRT or similar installed) and a second device behind it to generate SMTP traffic.

9. Javapapa

Who needs proof?

Having a flimsy excuse (or being unwilling to show technical details of the evidence chain) is better than no excuse to take them off-line. Heck, we should mess with their minds just for them tolerating a supreme leader with a bad haircut.

10. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Evidence

Where I come from - which is the best part of half a working lifetime in forensic investigation - if you think you have evidence you'll present it in public in a forum in which it can be challenged. If you don't do that you don't have evidence. If it fails the challenge you don't have evidence. If it passes the challenge you've finally got evidence.

On that test Comey doesn't have evidence.

It's really hard to imagine anything which would create sympathy for the N Korean regime. Washington needs to step back, take a long look at what it's doing and realise that it seems to be making serious efforts to create such sympathy.

11. Mike Flugennock
    Coffee/keyboard

Pardon me while I laugh until I piss myself

Obviously, this assclown hasn't heard of proxies, VPNs, or "tunnelling".

Hell, I'm not even a network tech -- just a lowly graphic designer -- and even I know about that stuff.

Dipshit.

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re: Pardon me while I laugh until I piss myself

Bearing in mind the norks block internet access to 96% of their population, and those 4% that do have access have a heavily censored internet (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/23/technology/23link.html?_r=0), how many open proxies or VPNs are likely to be using nork IPs?

I am not saying that the it's impossible for a hacker to appear to be attacking from North Korea, and I am not saying that the US Government would not use hackers for this sort of thing, but I think they would only do this sort of thing if they gained in someway, after all, any act like that could be considered an act of war, and while the norks would probably lose in a conventional war, they do apparently have the Nuclear option, and a leader that is, I believe, mad enough to use it.

Sony, on the other hand, have a movie that is currently making far more money than it probably would have had the hack not happened, and conveniently still had access to enough computing power (and the old Blackberry system they used to use) to keep them going.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

The FBI needs to be more transparent about this...

Let's face it, this is an organization that routinely overstates or hyperbolizes to drive the narrative it wants. Now, the FBI is hardly unique in that fault (God knows how many tech companies do that), but still, if you really want people to believe that Sony Pictures was hacked by North Korea, then you are going to have to show some serious cards.

(Sherlock would do that!)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given all the stuff we've heard via Snowden about NSA, why is it so hard to believe that the FBI would have access to vastly more information on this case than they can make public, precisely to protect the types of capability that Snowden managed to expose?

For those naive enough to think that the fact they haven't shared all of the evidence means it doesn't exist, well there's little hope for you getting far in life without your tin hat anyway.

1. L05ER

the problem...

is that the only reason they would have to not disclose this information is operational secrecy... if they were to say we used prism to pull jong-un's email ordering the hack... and here it is... no one is in danger and it exposes no new info.

i figure the "evidence" is a spy... maybe they are eager to leave and jumped on the opportunity? lies be damned...

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

@ AC

"For those naive enough to think that the fact they haven't shared all of the evidence means it doesn't exist, well there's little hope for you getting far in life without your tin hat anyway."

You need to realise that they haven't shared any evidence. None. All they've done is make allegations and expect the public to believe them. In any forensic context the purpose of evidence is to convince the public or at least the public's proxies, jurors, of allegations (or denials in the case of the defence). In such a context evidence is what's presented and tested in court. If it hasn't been so presented it's not evidence, it's just allegations.

The question of whether to withhold intelligence material or present it as evidence isn't new. At some point, if you believe in the rule of law you either have to present that material as evidence and have it tested or shut up; just saying you have it doesn't cut the mustard. Having had a lot of your methods outed should make a decision in favour of disclosure easier - if you've got nothing left to hide... Another major factor here is that the US has taken retaliatory action. Even though it has done this without due process it might be wise to present the evidence that would have been produced had due process been followed.

For instance in this case it's being claimed that some messages were sent from addresses "used" by NK. In what way were they used? In their allocation block? In servers outside NK but used to host some service for them? If the latter, what sort of service? The Little Leader's Hotmail A/C?

We are seriously being asked to believe that someone who is capable of a break-in of this magnitude is incapable of covering their tracks in sending messages; is that so or is it more credible that someone who achieved the break-in is also capable of routing their messages to mislead? Sceptics have pointed out that the claims on behalf of NK didn't start until the media had made the link to the film; what's the timing of these messages from alleged NK servers in relation to that link being made.

FYI, although there were circumstances when a tin hat and maybe a Kevlar jacket would have been useful, I've got quite far in life. Part of that has involved looking quite critically at what information alleged evidence actually provided.

14. Disgruntled of TW
    FAIL

Skin in the game

Until the FBI spokesfolk get some skin in the game and present actual verifiable facts, that would hurt if disproved, our confidence in what they say being true remains in the gutter.

They have lost our trust, and need to regain it with interest before such announcements mean I'll put my copy of The Beano down to listen to the news announcement.

15. as2003

Even if the attacks did originate from North Korea, no one is discussing whether it was the work of a bunch of script kiddies or a state-sponsored group. I pretty important distinction when you're deciding to sanction a country, one would think.

1. Turtle

@as2003

"Even if the attacks did originate from North Korea, no one is discussing whether it was the work of a bunch of script kiddies or a state-sponsored group."

You think that the whole fucking world is just like your home town, don't you? Let me give you the clue that you so badly lack: North Korea is not like anywhere that you or anyone else on this site lives.

How could you not know this?

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Alert

There is always the possibility that a computer in North Korea got pwned and used to send traffic. Hell, Sony probably had a bigger security budget than North Korea.

16. Someone Else Silver badge
    Devil

What he REALLY said was...

"There is not much in life I have high confidence about," he said. "I have very high confidence in that attribution."

And then he said, "...because that's what my overlords want me to have high confidence about, and I do what my overlords tell me".

17. John Jennings

its actually a bit worse than that

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30661973

It not just the FBI that has to cover its arse..... the accusations were made, and further sanctions were imposed (mostly low end arms sales, one of NKs major exports). Ob cant back down because he was wr... wro...wr... wr... (dammit)... not correct...

If the FBI was to turn around and say "gee it was X, Y or Z", then the state dept would also look (more) stupid.

When you think about it, its almost the perfect crime, if it were carried out by someone else - because the FBI (NSA or whoever) CANT finger anyone else now.

18. veti Silver badge

That's nice

Mr Comey can be as confident as he likes, and I hope that works out for him.

But if he's suggesting that other people's resources, e.g. US taxpayers' money, should be funnelled into action based on his confidence, then it would behove him to make others share that confidence.

Obviously he's trying to do this by spreading his "confidence" to other establishment bigwigs. It would be nice if he were required to actually persuade "the taxpayer" of what he's talking about, but sadly that's probably not necessary. "Sovereign rights for North Korea" is not a hill that American voters will want to die on, and who can blame them.

The bigger question here is: "so what?" What if it was North Korea? Exactly what sovereign interest of the American people or taxpayers was violated here? Sony isn't part of the government, is it? Then why should the federal government be out to avenge their wrongs? If Sony can identify the group that attacked it, let it sue them and the courts can sort it out, the way it's supposed to be; then the government can enforce that ruling once it's made. Until then, sit down and shut up.

1. P. Lee

Re: That's nice

Given that the FBI is an internal police force, investigating on US soil, surely once the perpetrators have been positively identified, they stop work. I mean, there's nothing further to be gained unless you think you can drag NK into a US court. Given that that's unlikely, there should be no harm releasing the evidence so that we can see that the sanctions are justified. The FBI aren't (officially) spies so there should be no outside-US, NK informants to protect.

If you aren't charging anyone and you aren't releasing the evidence, keep out of foreign affairs, especially since a country with an under-developed tech industry was probably just taken advantage of.

And yes, I suppose that this means that since the US hacked servers in Iceland, Angela Merkal's phone, and lots of other hacks, ddos attacks and spam intrusions originate in the US, we should all be imposing sanctions on the US, right?

19. Mark 85

The media spin is at 10,000 rpm and climbing....

The media also reporting from "un-named sources" that the NK's have 6,000 cyberwarriors working hard everyday to destroy all in their path. Another false lead? What's reality again?

20. Alistair
    Black Helicopters

The Axis Of Evil Is Alive And Well.

FBI release armoured hekilopters on PyongYang To Arrest NK Cyberwarriors.

Sadly, a sandstorm.......

21. dan1980

So?

'"When the group calling itself Guardians of Peace sent threatening emails and made other online statements, Comey said, it mostly used proxy servers to disguise the messages' origins. "But several times, they got sloppy," he claimed.'

Right.

So the evidence they have has satisfied them that e-mails and "other online statements" made after the attack came from an unambiguously North Korean IP range.

Great. And?

Is it so unreasonable to think that someone in North Korea capitalised on this and sent these missives as threats, despite not being the actual perpetrators? Or perhaps there is a mixture of sources; perhaps the messages that were bounced through proxies were from the real attackers and those that did not and were subsequently traceable to Nth Korean IPs were the ones sent by genuine North Korean actors to capitalise on the event.

Or, perhaps those un-proxied messages were still the actual attackers but were deliberately sent 'sloppily' by using an infected PC or two in North Korea*. Based on reports from professional security researchers, it seems that there were bits of identifiably North Korean code used in the attack that can plausibly be considered red herrings. It might seem like a lot of effort but if you are going to attack such a large corporation and commit so very many serious crimes then no effort is really to much to not get caught.

Either way, until there is some evidence on the table, it's condescending (not to mention naive) for the FBI to expect people to just trust them on it.

* - Sure, there aren't many PCs and they are very restricted one assumes but it's certainly possible.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: So?

To put in non-cyber terms. Bank robbers have used, VWs, Fords, Toyotas and Jags as getaway cars. But then they slipped up and used a Lada so we know they are really KGB !

1. This post has been deleted by its author

22. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Thumb Down

This is just stupid

So the FBI 'claims' that the Norks hosed Sony & have supporting evidence to back up said 'claim', but are unable to reveal it for ...what? ... "reasons of national security" - that old chestnut again?

Please stop jerking off in front of the public & just fuck off, already.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This has to be one of the biggest porkies from the FBI..

Let's see now 100TB of data hacked ...Hmmmm

Are we serious folks? To hack that kind of data and pull it off the Internet at todays current speeds would take years.

This is obviously an inside job.

http://recode.net/2014/12/12/sony-pictures-knew-of-gaps-in-computer-network-before-hack-attack/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This has to be one of the biggest porkies from the FBI..

Last time I checked - North Korea was a third world country without high speed internet links.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Last time I checked - North Korea was a third world country without high speed internet links.

Check again:-

>The country has some broadband infrastructure, including fiber optic links between major institutions producing nationwide speeds of up to 2.5 Gbit/s. (Wikipedia)

Seems pretty good for the 20 or so people allowed to use the link...

Is high speed required for this anyway?

1. Domino

@hate - Is high speed required for this anyway?

Didn't I read an early report about torrents that originated in Sony? If correct, then crackers setting up seedboxes on compromised machines seems the likely exit route for the data.. If so the load would be spread, no doubt on receiving end too.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> Also, in 2012, a US judge rubbished claims that IP addresses can be used to identify culprits

> in online crime, saying "it is no more likely that the subscriber to an IP address carried out a

> particular computer function ... than to say an individual who pays the telephone bill made a

> specific telephone call."

This isn't equivalent, they aren't identifying an individual with it, but the location of the endpoint.

I do agree though that it's more likely that the NorKs have been hacked and it was someone who hates Sony, the Playstation stuff seems to be a regular target from skilled attacks way before this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bollocks, that's a right mess, is there a syntax for block-quoting on this?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The other evidence

The remaining evidence they have is a confession from one of the *hackers they secreted out of korea, he's currently **safely holed up in guantonimo, and it only took 27h of ***confinement before he confessed to everything, he was taking orders directly from kim jong un, who is in fact taking orders from the severed head of Kim Jong Il that they keep alive in the basement, the supreme leader can never die.

*A random korean they managed to smuggle out of the country

**Being held prisoner

***confinement being torture

26. Christian Berger

Even if it came from a "North Korean" computer

There's plenty of ways to get to one of those. One is to apply for a job as a professor.

In the Q&A session here, Weill Scott explained how he got that job.

http://media.ccc.de/browse/congress/2014/31c3_-_6253_-_en_-_saal_2_-_201412292115_-_computer_science_in_the_dprk_-_will_scott.html#video

Other than that, attribution is hard, and there's more than enough "plausible deniability" to make sure any facts can be missinterpreted in any way you want.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What difference does it make

The FBI don't give a rats ass whether we believe them or not. They're not talking to IT savvy people, they're talking to Soccer-Moms and Red-necks and they lap up everything they say like it's served on a plate.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: What difference does it make

Actually they are - or should be - talking to other countries as well. Every time the US takes umbrage at another country they go looking for allies to "stand shoulder to shoulder" with them. With the nuppit Blair they succeeded. Post dodgy dossier, however, they've been finding it more and more difficult. They need to start building credibility much wider than Soccer-Moms and Red-necks.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Plenty of details from security researchers.

This is the best perhaps: <a href="http://sony.attributed.to/" style="text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank" >Link</a>

29. ahhhhbisto

Confirmation bias anyone?

"Oh look, these couple of IP's are NORK. They're the real ones..."

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sony Hack and Cyber Security Law

It's all a bit too convenient for them really.

They managed to pass there cyber security Law over the Christmas period on back of the Sony hack.

Was that just a coincidence....I doubt it.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Norks a lordy! Comey Bobbins.

This has to be the most amazing cyber attack ever, North Korean secret agents pretending to be a disgruntled employee! very very clever indeed.

32. bussdriver

FBI is right in a way

I don't doubt their confidence; it probably was run from a computer in NK. With some leaked stuff which might not have been intentional-- but that system was probably a proxy or BOT in NK. When you start out with some hack like that doing everything remotely, that is probably a skill you are good at and you start the whole thing out of a remote terminal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like