back to article You like that E Ink book, huh? How about an E Ink HOUSE

Digital paper maker E Ink is looking to take its business into a new field – architecture. The company, best known for its ebook screens, demonstrated at CES in Las Vegas a new tile material that would allow buildings to change color. E Ink tile close Each tile is comprised of smaller color-changing pieces The tiles, made …

1. Sampler

Billboards?

Wouldn't these work as billboards, like, how billboards currently work - with a g'eat big light shining at the non-self-luminescent paper when the sun dips down - still gotta be cheaper in the long run over LED's, especially when you have to replace the handful of dead pixels when they start interfering with hocking your clients wares.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Billboards?

Having been blinded by the glare from some London taxi's with LED billboards on the roof showing txt on a white background I'm inclined to think money before safety

2. grumpy feline

Another year or so to go

Till the patents start running out and we can do something good with this.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I must be getting old...

..the first thing from CES that even remotely got me interested.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

vanity rulez

instead of coming up with some ideas for sun-absorbing house walls.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: vanity rulez

You mean like solar panels for walls? Try searching for them, been around for some time.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait until Marketing gets hold of this

I sense a future full of Adverts-on-Everything, which should make life more colourful, distracting, irritating, etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wait until Marketing gets hold of this

Drive along the M5 / M6 around West Brom & Walsall and see what delights the huge LED billboard signs are like.

6. thomas k.

... controlled by a laptop

Better be careful, then, when using that same laptop to view pr0n.

7. Christoph

How long before one of those office buildings gets the display hacked?

1. Graham Marsden
      Devil

I was thinking the same thing.

How long before huge dicks start appearing on the walls of office buildings full of, well, huge dicks...?!

8. M7S

Wasn't something like this being suggested for cars a while back?

As I really could do something fun with that

9. Arnikarian

Imagine an office with walls like this in the lobby and an interface with a smartphone app, "I want to go to Dave's office" "Ok, follow the red line on the wall to your left"

1. Graham Marsden

Prior Art:...

"Follow the lighted dots on the floor. Your code is red yellow yellow. Whenever you are assigned a path to follow it will be red yellow yellow, three dots side by side - go where those lights indicate."

- Enders Game

10. breakfast Silver badge
    Trollface

This has amazing prank opportunities- figures visible out of the corner of your eye that disappear when you look right at them, drawing the classic artist's "cock and balls" motif over entire office buildings.

Possibly many of the games I have been played have been set in these environments, which explains why half the doors in the walls were totally unopenable- it didn't make sense at the time, but now I realise I was in an e-ink environment and the doors were actually just drawn on the walls...

11. Snapper

Obvious Use

You could use it to camouflage the garden shed, then the missus can't find you when she wants you to put paper in her ink-jet printer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon