back to article Want to shoot FIREBALLS from your wrists, SPIDER-MAN style?

The Pyro Fireshooter lets you fulfil your Dragon Ball fantasies where you play manga hero Goku and shoot fireballs from your open palm. For those comic book fans among you, it's basically as if Spider-Man shot fire from his wrists instead of webbing. Youtube Video Aimed at professional magicians, it’s a device which straps to …

1. Haku

Hidden camera show

This seems like the sort of gadget a hidden camera show would use to wow or freak people out with, especially if you could conceal it in your hands in such a way to pretend to sneeze fireballs after eating one of those ridiculously high scoville peppers.

1. Mike Taylor

Re: Hidden camera show

You can get smaller and cheaper ones from theatrical suppliers - some have more than one barrel - that are concealed in the pain of the hand. Used them quite a lot in Faustus last year. Very entertaining. Cleaning and practise loading are key

2. ShortLegs

Not meant for kids? [b]Of course[/b] it's meant for kids... [b]big[/] kids!

1. Ragarath

ShortLegs, if your allowed you can use proper HTML tags. BBCode does not work.

3. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

"Aimed at professional magicians"?

A tad harsh I think. Paul Daniels used to annoy me, but on-stage cremation? Nah!

4. CJ_in_AZ

I'd sure want to be careful about what sort of shirt I'd wear when using this gadget. Definitely NOT one of "man-made" materials -- if they catch on fire, they stick to skin (like Spidey's web, only burning) and will cause much worse injuries.

5. Mark 85

Not something to wear at the airport then?

Or maybe into the local bank? Interesting toy but I'm waiting for some creative miscreant to find a use.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Not something to wear at the airport then?

Doesn't contain 2oz of fluid and doesn't have a picture of a transformer on it so you should be fine

6. FutureShock999

I suspect that those of us in the UK will have a bit of fun having this delivered through UK customs...

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    Flame

Better out of the wrist..

...than out of the arse. I may have felt that way after some curries, glad it was only a feeling...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Better out of the wrist..

Buy the kit, hack it a bit to release a single tube and you can find out which is better. You might want to wrap that flameproof cuff round your nads, of course.

8. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Can we get ....

.... a version of this for the back bumper of a car?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Paul Hovnanian Re: Can we get ....

"..... for the back bumper of a car?" Old family story. Back in 1940, when there was a serious belief that the Germans would try and invade, the UK government spent a lot of time encouraging the men (and women) of the services to come up with homegrown defence weapons. There was a particular interest in anything that could help with airfield defence against paratroops, and an RAF mechanic came up with the idea of putting a homemade flamethrower in the back of a touring car which could then be driven round the airfield to incinerate any Fallschirmjager as they descended. The weapon consisted of a large petrol tank, a pump made from a motorcycle engine to get the requisite and powerful spray, some firehose and a long pipe mounted on a pillar as a projector. At the end of the projector was a service revolver, the idea being this would be fired into the stream of petrol to ignite it. All went well in testing, but when it was time to demonstrate it to the Brass, the only car available that was big enough was the Station CO's. Unfortunately, whilst solid on the test bench, after being hauled around the airfield the system sprang a few leaks, and the demonstration came to a premature end when the the first shot set the car on fire! Surprisingly, despite the Station CO's rage, that wasn't the end of the inventor's career, and he got a job with the Petroleum Warfare Department and later worked on the Churchill Crocodile.

2. nsld
      Mushroom

Re: Can we get ....

In my youth we used to fit a sparkplug to the backbox of a mini with a coil and a switch, drive down the road, pull out the choke and hit the switch.

This resulted in a massive backfire, flames and occassionaly the death of the exhaust.

Happy days.

9. iJustCameHereToSayThis

But where did the lighter fluid come from??!!

10. skeptical i
    Pirate

I said, "Get your CAR OUT of the BIKE LANE!"

Unfortunately, I would pro'ly get a stern talking to from Officer Friendly for being a hazardous nuisance or some such because distracted drivers in one-ton rolling steel boxes drifting into the bike lane is never a problem, is it. (Nevermind such issues as recoil, wind drift, and other hazards of flames + motion.) Still, one can dream. :^)

1. Elmer Phud

Re: I said, "Get your CAR OUT of the BIKE LANE!"

When I were a lad we could buy 'mini rockets' which came in a pack of 5 or 6 and included a slow match sort of thing.

Place mini-rocket in end of handlebars (no kids bike has end stoppers), ride bike, fire rockets sideways.

Never got round to mounted Roman Candle or 'air bomb' battles', no idea why not.

(Not that I'd recommend any such foolish and dangerous things these days, oh, no.)

11. Lord Raa

But...

But Colin Furze built something along these lines: http://youtu.be/ypIGeNdJbJ4

And here's it in action: http://youtu.be/D5_ogU4Jzt4

1. MrT

Re: But...

... on first glance at the headline I thought this was one of his. On reading the article I realised to get it to Colin's level of hyperactivity it needs more thermite...

2. Chris G

Re: But...

A definite upvote for beating me to the Colin Furze link, a completely crazy Garden Shedderist if ever there was one. His version is somewhat more potent than the one in the article but his will make you look like Quasimodo with a gas tank under your coat.

12. Adolph Clickbait
    Trollface

Me Wantee - I promise to use it responsibly ...

You know guarantee seat on the morning train , that sort of thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Me Wantee - I promise to use it responsibly ...

I'm sure it'll guarantee you a seat somewhere, perhaps in police custody?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Pfft, everyone knows that Spiderman doesn't shoot fireballs!

Seriously, you guys need to read your silver age comics some more :)

1. JonP
      Holmes

Re: Pfft, everyone knows that Spiderman doesn't shoot fireballs!

STYLE you either have it or you, well, don't: see icon.

14. Jan 0 Silver badge
    Flame

'Flash' cotton/paper

I see that this is actually guncotton and nitrocellulose film (or ribbon?). I used to get students to make that in 'O' level Chemistry lessons. This device looks like fun, time to break out the concentrated nitric acid, sulphuric acid, acetone and cotton wool!

Thinking further, a small gas explosion with an injection of toulene might be even fancier.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: 'Flash' cotton/paper

Years ago a guy I worked with had a similar demonstration rigged up in the service electronics lab that I worked in (this was in the 70's) that used an aerosol cleaner to shoot fire across the room. The kit was rigged up using parts from the medical electronics gear that we were supposed to be repairing and was very impressive.

The point of his demonstration was that the aerosol can fueling the thing was marked "non-inflammable" - it was the propellant that ignited.

15. Elmer Phud

One Off The Wrist.

A headline left on the shelf.

Sub eds on Xmas break still?

16. harmjschoonhoven
    Mushroom

If you want to shoot fireballs, do it the German way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdwbp6R2qM8

17. Christoph

"What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?"

"I... am an enchanter."

"By what name are you known?"

"There are some who call me... 'Tim'"

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Alert

..and that's no ordinary rabbit!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon