back to article Zuckerberg asks the public to tell him where to go in 2015

Every year the behoodied prince of Facebook sets himself a personal goal, and this year he’s asking the public to tell him how to spend 2015 doing something new. “Every year I take on a challenge to broaden my perspective and learn something about the world beyond my work at Facebook,” Zuckerberg wrote on his public social …

1. Ketlan
    Devil

Hate him.

'Now be polite people'

Bugger.

'Every year the behoodied prince of Facebook sets himself a personal goal, and this year he’s asking the public to tell him how to spend 2015 doing something new.'

Being polite, he should come and visit me at my home. Now where did I put those boxing gloves...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hate him.

Syria / Iraq or Ukraine please.

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

What the hell have Syria or the Ukraine done to you for you to suggest that?

2. asdf

Wow have to admire his asshatery for one thing. Its not everyone that can get their product (the lusers) to tell them directly how to be more profitable but as well to even give ideas in life in general as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, in true Zuck form, he asks for others' suggestions so he can pimp them.

1. solo

he can pimp

Those giving him suggestions are are already pimped. Narcissism at its best, I must say.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well to be honest, it seems as time goes on that the claims that he stole the idea for Facebook from others seem to be more grounded than anyone would like to admit if you look at any of the 'innovations' on Facebook they are purely copies of other websites that seem to be doing quite well for themselves or purchases of other people's better ideas.

We can only expect this sad pathetic asshole who grins like a crazed psych ward patient while at the same time showing no emotion of his own (He really puts the Sociopath into Social Networking) to ask others for ideas concerning his own life goals. He's probably already stolen the goals of all his friends and needs to look further afield.

3. DLKirkwood

What IS the point in asking what he should do with Facebook when he refuses to listen to the majority anyway? I think he KNOWS where most Facebookers want him to go.

1. asdf

except

>when he refuses to listen to the majority

Oh look another user who is still under the impression he is a customer instead of product.

4. T. F. M. Reader

Biases, biases

He asks for suggestions on his FB page, so no one who has not got a FB account can give any?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Biases, biases

Or! Deleted all three of theirs as well as scrubbing data. [I take that with a ton of salt. I still remember the original purpose of Facebook.]

It really doesn't matter what the suggestions are since they have little to do with Facebook, the company, which is all about justifying to "the analysts" that IPO thang that made so much news/little money. Goals mutate when IPO's happen as we are all well cognizant of in these parts.The only shocking party is how much leeway Zuckerberg has been given.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

"gone nearly vegetarian"

the only meat he ate was stuff he’d killed himself

I'm not sure "nearly vegetarian" is the best description to use here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "gone nearly vegetarian"

For some reason, "nearly Putinian" comes to mind.

2. Captain DaFt

"the only meat he ate was stuff he’d killed himself"

"I'm not sure "nearly vegetarian" is the best description to use here."

Obviously, he's a very poor hunter.

1. Gannon (J.) Dick
        Headmaster

Actually I saw that definition (vegetarian=lousy hunter) on the menu of a BBQ joint in N. Texas.

Attributed to Native Americans, hopefully the copyright has expired.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Hmmm.

How about this one...

When someone publishes a picture with faces in it, every single person is blurred out and only when that person agrees to it (opt in not out please), can a specific face be un-blurred.

Privacy, we used to have limited amounts of it once, now we have none.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm.@ Lost all faith

"When someone publishes a picture with faces in it, every single person is blurred out and only when that person agrees to it (opt in not out please), can a specific face be un-blurred."

Oh, come off it. If you really want privacy you wouldn't be on Facebook in the first place, and if you valued your friends privacy you wouldn't be posting their pictures.

1. Oninoshiko

Re: Hmmm.@ Lost all faith

Why should my privacy be at the whim of every asshole with a camera?

I'm NOT on facebook, but I'm sure there are photos of me there.

7. tempemeaty

No. <insert image of Yotsuba here>

He wants advice where to go next? He shouldn't be asking that should he? LOL.

Actually, I would tell him nothing. I wouldn't want him discovering and then ruining anything I actually care about. ( -.^)/

8. jake Silver badge

Buy a farm, work it, and learn to cook, soil to table, Zuck.

Killing a critter doth not automagically mean that you have an actual idea where food comes from.

9. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

Suggestions?

Use his billions to build a rocket ship and send it to Mars with him at the helm.

Change his name on the way to Ziggy and spend the rest of his money looking for Spiders.

Mines the one with 'Keep Calm and don't use FaceBook' on the back.

1. Swarthy

Re: Suggestions?

Shold he first get a screwed down haircut, like those cats from japan?

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
        Headmaster

Actually "hairdo".

Sorry to start the New Year so pernickety.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think he'll be better off on the moon with Willzyx and Tom Cruise.

10. Haku

Polite? Okay then.

He should go make love to himself.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Polite? Okay then.

Or perhaps just stop 'making love' to everyone else.

11. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

I was going to say "Shove his head up his arse and sneeze"

But I''ll have to say "bottom" instead.

12. MatsSvensson

How about a facebook where everyone has to hop?

Or a facebook where the seats face the back of the car and it 's real hard to drive?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about..

..taking a running jump. American translation here -> Link

14. 101
    Alien

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

There's something really wrong about that guy. Really. Wrong.

15. Fred Tourette

Wish I had a Dollar...

For every suggestion he gets to go f--k himself.

16. ukgnome

How about.....

he has to continually be surrounded by breast feeding mothers so that that he's desensitised enough not to get his site mods click ban happy.

Or he has to spend a day a week in A&E looking at gore so he spends all that time recoiling in horror.

*sorry thought this was mumsnet

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy

Read up on privacy and why it matters, perhaps do a course or two, and at the end of the year publish an essay discussing what you've found out and what you agreed/disagreed with and why (without getting any helpful hints/glib PR from the marketing dept).

You could do a lot worse than starting with this.

18. FormerKowloonTonger
    Holmes

A very welcome set of comments from Bill Gates as a matured [repeat that word "matured" slowly] social awareness I.T. man who's applying his great wealth towards helping out with concrete practical efforts towards our worldwide and desperate public health problems.

Contrasted starkly with those crass, fleeting clicked "likes" of posted inane comments manipulated into a cash flow by that admittedly brilliant but shallow "hoodied" one.

Talk about being "used", and the pimping, pumping of adolescent egos for purposes of using others' for cash - - - like, please, like, get real, and 'un-like' that Zucker-man. He's only interesting as a subject for research.

Maybe in a couple of decades we'll see some maturity from th' hoodie-trademark, maybe not. So he was "awesome" to some selected young Chinese for publicly commenting in Mandarin, kudos for that. Brilliant PubRel.

Otherwise, phooey, there seems to be no substantial "there" there with Zuckerberg.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now be polite people

go boldly where the sun don't shine

20. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

I know

He should go to the ophthalmologist and have his eyes fixed, anyone with that much cash should NOT wear contacts. Am I wrong? He looks a bit myopic.... No? Stoned or allergic?

That is as nice as I can be towards Zuck!

21. Arctic fox
    Trollface

Be polite?

For some strange reason the only thing I want to say to that gentleman is "vanish making short sharp jerking motions" - I cannot think why.

22. Mark 85

Suggestion not related to FB is what he wants???

How about learning to be a human being and respect for others?

Or, not fighting with the neighbors over "a view"? (or do I have the wrong guy on this?)

How about giving a damn for something besides yourself?

I could go on, but he's the archetypal CEO arsehole who really hasn't figured out this everyone else's rights/needs/wants are just as important as his own.

23. Graham Marsden
    Mushroom

Take a long walk...

... off a short pier...

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about?

Find ways to encourage American young people to take up computer science, without constantly lobbying the White House/Congress to increase H1B visas so he can undermine the job prospects of American young people who actually do take up computer science?

25. IGnatius T Foobar
    FAIL

Facebook FAIL

Facebook is the worst thing ever to happen to the Internet. And as for Zuck the F**k, every time I see a picture of him I want to remove that stupid grin from his face with the back of a garden shovel.

26. FuzzyTheBear
    Joke

Where to go ?

Start paying users to use their information. Would be fair.

27. JustWondering

Polite?

Engage in solitary sexual pursuits elsewhere?

28. Ian Michael Gumby

Detroit?

Sorry I was going to go with Hell Michigan, but you know... downtown detroit is bad enough.

29. Tristan Young

Mark Zuckerberg can go zuck himself.

All we want is a dislike button. Instead this mother zucker continues to give us crap, while contaminating our news feeds with more crap. Meanwhile half of our friend's more important status updates get filtered out.

30. btrower

Can't feel the love here.

I am not sure I get the big hate on for this guy. Sure, he was an asshole in school and said some pretty creepy things. He is probably not the statesman we would like to see in charge of a company with a market cap of $218,706,670,501.

He's still basically a kid and has made himself a billionaire. That's not too shabby. It's probably better than anybody commenting here will ever do.

I am not a big fan of some of the stuff that facebook did to get its critical mass. However, the operative word there is critical. Had they not gotten there fast, somebody else would have crushed them the way they crushed MySpace. The volume of users and user activity is what makes facebook worth so much and a lot of what I find objectionable that he did was basically necessary to keep the company alive, believe it or not. They had momentum and mass and they needed both to stay afloat.

Facebook is nearly unstoppable now, but it has a few vulnerable facets and it seems to me that this young man is doing his best to find and fix them. However, this has become a tricky game because the massive size of the company limits its room to move. The low hanging fruit is mostly gone and big stuff like search brings on pretty scary competitors and almost certainly government interference.

I am hardly a fan, but I really don't get the bashing. We *should* expect more from people who control massive assets and wield great power, but there is a limit to what is reasonable to expect. Somewhere back there we still have a thirty year old human being who is still forming. I think people should cut him some slack.

I will hazard a guess that a sudden windfall of a billion dollars or so would amplify faults in many of the posters here.

If I had to make a suggestion for something outside of facebook work I would say learn to enjoy helping others merely for the satisfaction of doing so. Get creative using money to reward the many less fortunate, not with handouts but with a hand up. Give people hope in communities where hope is hard to come by. Help to create a cultural ethic that values everyone, not just a few superstars.

Here, FWIW is one of the things I am doing outside of work that might be worth a go:

It is possible to enter a meditative state that is 'different' as sleeping is from waking. It is something that you can learn to do with a little practice. I learned to do it to make long waits in airports and flights on airplanes tolerable. I used to commute weekly and this turned something dreary into something pleasant. I use this to put myself to sleep from time to time and use it to get little calm spots as a sort of 'reset mechanism'. I have only used it to sort of 'escape' a state that is less comfortable. It only occurred to me when I was describing this to someone that I had never tried entering this state and staying there while I conducted my day. So ... I have set myself the task of attempting to enter this state and stay in it while I am actively doing other things. I don't know if this is possible but it would be pretty cool if it was.

A person doing this 'meditative living' is not likely to be particularly spectacular on the outside, but I think it might be really something for the person themselves.

The above might be something of a stepping stone to mastering and actively managing your mood. None of us can entirely control our environment, not even young billionaires. However, it is possible, I think, to get a great deal of control over oneself.

1. razorfishsl

Re: Can't feel the love here.

He is out to destroy your privacy & the privacy of the under age members of your family...

Is that not enough to hate him for?

2. jake Silver badge

Re: Can't feel the love here.

Today (10:30PM Pacific time, Jan 05 2015) the market cap is $215,193,982,103, about 1.5% lower than the OP in this thread.

More important, the P/E ratio is ~73.5 ... way higher than my comfort zone as an investor. (Yes, I know, the forward P/E is right around 60 ... still a daft investment.)

31. Bob Merkin
    Go

A useful task

Let's ask him to personally locate where Philae is sitting on comet 67P, and move the lander out into the sunlight so its batteries can recharge. Someone will be back along shortly to pick him up for the return trip to Earth.

32. Bruce Ordway

Ethics?

How about dedicated study of ethics?

I'd guess everything else would then fall into place.

33. StimuliC

He can go and hang himself from a pair of dirty jockey shorts.

34. bullgtor

Alternative Energy Sources to Replace Fossil Fuels

This requires money, imagination and long-term commitment. Without it when we run out of this finite resource civilization as we know it will end. Anarchy and chaos on a worldwide scale will steadily emerge and completely replace civility as the norm for mankind, especially in the centers of dense population.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Show Him The Way

Then maybe he will switch to jockey shorts.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like