back to article Here's Johnny! Top Ten fantasy Blu-ray boxsets and special editions

Blu-ray has become the bastion of the special edition boxset. And these are the most fantastical of all ... TV Boxsets and special collector’s editions have become Blu-ray’s best weapon in its battle for survival against streaming Video on Demand (VoD). With a 1080p edge, greater sonic clarity and on-the-shelf pride of …

1. Efros

Bates Motel and Fargo, fantasy?? Really?

2. Annihilator

"Bizarrely, this fan-friendly mix does not to include the 3D special version of The Day of The Doctor, which could irritate hardcore Whovians."

Good, frankly.

Worth mentioning that it also includes The Night of The Doctor short too.

3. Sir Sham Cad

BSG

I really didn't know that original Battlestar Galactica only had 24 episodes! Suppose I was too young to care or notice repeats.

Did see some battlestar 1980 though but even that couldn't taint my memories of the original series.

And the swell of that theme music still does funny things to me now.

Gotta get that for my birthday!

4. Sandtitz Silver badge
    IT Angle

Pedantic attack!

The Twin Peaks set is missing the companion novel "Secret Diary of Laura Palmer"

The Hayao Miyazaki Complete Collection misses almost all short films but includes a bonus disc with a 90 minute conference piece where Miyazaki announces his retirement? Happily there's On Your Mark, probably the best animated music video most of you've never seen. (available on several video sharing websites of course)

1. Duffy Moon

Re: Pedantic attack!

Where was the Miyazaki thing mentioned? I must be going blind as I can't see it.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Pedantic attack! @Duffy

First page, just before the Twin Peaks part.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Haku

No ST:TNG?

CBS went all-out on the remastering of this show in high-def; the original visual effects were only created in standard-def yet everything else was shot on 35mm, so they went and re-created all the visual effects in high-def CGI to match the scanned in 35mm footage.

7. Tromos

Apart from a couple of the Kubricks and one of the pithily dismissed Spielbergs, wouldn't give you tuppence for them.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Have you seen the Fargo series?

8. thomas k.

... have a field day with a ring-fenced Emerald Archer.

Well, *had* a field day with a ring-fenced Archer, until sharing a universe this season with the inferior Flash dragged it down, down, down.

9. AsherGoldbergstein

People really don't pay £60 for a blu ray do they?

1. Tom Servo

If it's worth it, yes....

I rarely buy physical media anymore, but happily coughed up £60 last week for DVDs of all 4 seasons of the Phil Silvers show ,finally released.

Anyone who is going to spend time and effort releasing every episode of this 60 year old sitcom deserves my (and your) money.

*FENDERlookaliveyoursargeantwantsyouFENDER"

2. VinceH

"People really don't pay £60 for a blu ray do they?"

Some people must do, which is why they have such high prices to start with - and why I never buy them until I see them in a sale at a price I'm willing to pay.

Personally, although it's not a hard and fast rule, I'd say I'm comfortable with about £5-£6 for a film I'm confident I'll be able to enjoy more than once, and about £0.75-£1 per episode for a TV series, based on an OTTOMH estimation of some things I've bought in the past.

10. CheesyTheClown

Blu-Ray?

What is this Blu-Ray thing you speak of? Is it similar to 8-track?

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Blu-Ray?

It is that thing they fool you into thinking you can buy like a DVD but is in fact a DRMed crap like UV.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>It is that thing they fool you into thinking you can buy like a DVD but is in fact a DRMed crap like UV.

No, Blu-ray is like DVD - as such, steps are taken to prevent easy copying. Unless you bought an early BluRay machine, this won't affect you.

UV - Ultra Violet - refers to a DRM'ed copy of the film that that can be played on a tablet or other device if you have bought the BluRay disc. This is an attempt to give legitimately bought content a similar flexibility to ripped and decrypted content. Not every consumer wants to keep up to date with an arsenal of DRM-circumvention tools, and might think that buying a film on disc for £5 -and then being able to watch it on their tablet - is fair enough.

The story is more nuanced.

2. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

> It is that thing they fool you into thinking you can buy like a DVD but is in fact a DRMed crap like UV.

I can crack it open just like a DVD and store it in any format I like. Where are the tools to do that with UV?

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

No, Blu-ray is like DVD

No it isn't. A DVD or a DVD player model cannot be bricked remotely or through distribution of an infected disc. A BD player and/or disc can. That - key revocation and system renewability - is a part of AACS specification, which is mandatory for BD.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's the only legal proper HD format available, in that it's 1080p resolution AND high bitrate, not the low bitrate heavily compressed crap that Netflix, Amazon and the like offer under the gise of HD to fool idiot consumers.

11. Martin

And am I alone in thinking that The Lost World has aged better than its celebrated forebear?

Yes.

1. DavCrav

""And am I alone in thinking that The Lost World has aged better than its celebrated forebear?"

Yes."

Indeed. Yes, yes you are.

12. TheProf
    Devil

Yer wat?

'The stories may be hockey, '

Hockey? Did you mean 'Hokum' or are we witness to the birth of an OED 'word of the year'?

1. DavCrav

Re: Yer wat?

"'The stories may be hockey, '

Hockey? Did you mean 'Hokum' or are we witness to the birth of an OED 'word of the year'?"

Or, much more likely, hokey?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The stories may be hockey"

As in "hockey stick graph" - something widely believed to be a loose combination of science and fiction, with the emphasis on fiction?

1. DavCrav

""The stories may be hockey"

As in "hockey stick graph" - something widely believed to be a loose combination of science and fiction, with the emphasis on fiction?"

Maybe it's Cockney rhyming slang? He's a bit hockey stick? Or I'm off to bed for a quick hockey puck? I am not aware of either of these being real, just speculating.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Breaking Bad ?

14. Deryk Barker

Good grief!

Well, OF COURSE, everything worth buying (except for Dr Who) is an American show.

What is the MATTER with people in the UK?

1. Haku

Re: Good grief!

Number of episodes in a show could be a factor.

It's not uncommon for a well funded UK show to have only 6 (or 8 if you're lucky) epsiodes per series, whereas in the US it's not uncommon to have 13 or 26 episodes per series.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Carl W

BSG

I bought the DVD version of Battlestar Galactica some years back, and it's well worth a watch. Tails off a bit towards the end, but the story of how they first encounter their own civilization's outposts, and then other civilizations, isn't bad.

17. stringyfloppy

Does the Spielberg set contain the real CE3K, or just the one Spielberg messed with?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon