back to article PlayStation clambers back online days after DDoS attack PARALYSED network

Sony's PlayStation network is slowly returning to normal service roughly 48 hours after it was hit by another major distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack on Christmas Day. Members of the Lizard Squad gang, which has previously targeted Sony's PSN, claimed responsibility for the assault. Microsoft's Xbox similarly went …

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

paper today

described the attack as a "hack". I'd have though the paper in question would have likened it more accurately to a blockade of a port with tractors by French farmers.

1. boffles

Re: paper today

If I hear one more news report of hack... why do they still get it wrong. I know nothing and yet I know there is a difference between the two.

Maybe they will start blaming an email attachment next :D

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EA Games Origin is also under attack or back end cant cope with load of players. Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 has been off-line on all platforms for most of the last 3 days.

Just gone down again, couple of 100+page threads from forums of happy gamer congratulating EA on their achievements.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955064787742195460/110/

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955064787744884126/186/

26/12/2014 20:32 , edited 27/12/2014 15:56 by EA_Sutii

We are aware that many are experiencing connectivity issues at present. Our teams are investigating, and working to resolve, this at the highest priority.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused thus far and thank you for your patience and acknowledgement of these issues.

A member of the team will aim to continue updating this thread as we go along.

Regards,

Battlelog Forum Team

Update: It appears services are returning to normal on PC. We will continue tracking this for now.

Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network also appear to be returning to normal. You can view the current status of both services with the following links.

Playstation Network: https://support.us.playstation.com/ [support.us.playstation.com]

Xbox Live: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status/ [support.xbox.com]

3. Mark 85

For crap's sake...

It's Christmas, I'm thinking 90% of these so-called outages are because all the new owners are trying to play the game (and naturally they all need to connect to a server) and the game companies' staff took a day or two off.

Ok... Lizardsquad gets the blame for the first ones... but after that probably just overload from all those who haven't been able to play yet.

4. Tascam Holiday

Useless Sony

I wouldn't be surprised if half the problem is due to all those new PS3's and PS4's plus every single new game requiring a massive update when first started, that must put quite a load on their infrastructure on Xmas morning.

I was going to rent a film on PSN tonight but can't get into my account (it was fine yesterday and Xmas day though). Oh well, I expect bittorrent will deliver where the multinational corporation fails.

5. Roger B

Crediantials leaked

Any confirmation on the story the Independent is running about 13K worth of PSN and Xbox Live login details, credit card details?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/hackers-release-13000-passwords-and-credit-card-details-of-amazon-playstation-and-xbox-users-9946391.html?origin=internalSearch

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Crediantials leaked

No.

6. TVC

Anyone still want to rely on cloud bases services?

Whether it’s a true hack or a DOS or seasonal system overload, it just demonstrates the worrying trust people put in cloud hosted systems. If MS and Sony are so easily compromised what about others? I’m not trusting my data to unknown systems unless I really have to.

7. K

Execuse me Sony.. cough up some compensation please!

My subscription is meant to provide access for a number of days, also your failing to meet a reasonable SLA.. So I'd like those lost days re-added to my account please, and a little extra as a goodwill gesture in the form of decent free games.

Thanks..

Now thats dealt with, lets discuss actual compensation for mental distress, loss of earning, personal anguish due to my kids not being to play their PS4... ;D

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well may I just say how happy I am to not have a console.

I game on PC. Seems that that is becoming an advantage these days.

Oh, and before you insist that EA Games was down as well, I don't care. First of all I stopped playing the Battlefield series after they butchered BF3 and second, if I cannot play my online games, a PC has this marvelous technology where I can play local games that do not depend on an Internet connection.

If I am not mistaken, that is something that today's "modern" consoles have lost.

1. Roger B

You are mistaken, nothing wrong with taking either of the consoles off line, either by pulling the ethernet cable or setting the console as offline in settings. Of course, if you want your updates as most of the new games will do, then yes you will be out of luck. Also, anyone having issues with installing new games at the moment should unplug the cable, hard reset the console and install your game off line, it will be much much quicker, especially for the Xbox which downloads any updates as it installs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No need

I haven't had to pull any cables or change any settings on my PS4. I've been playing Dragon Age Inquisition quite happily despite these Lizard idiots.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mistaken Indeed

Can I say how happy I am to have a console and how happy I am to say you are mistaken. I've never had a problem playing offline on my PS4.

9. MJI Silver badge

When they are caught.

Can we

1) Have them added as an enemy to many games.

2) Wired up and say press square to electrocute

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like