back to article Why is ICANN rushing its 'UN 'net security council'? So it can be announced at Davos

Despite rejections from its closest allies and calls for delay, ICANN is determined to create a "coordination council" for its internet-steering NetMundial Initiative this month. Why? The initiative was born out of a meeting in April between some governments, ICANN, and others, in Brazil, to discuss the future direction of the …

1. Ole Juul

Not looking good

Why is it so urgent that the ruling council be created when the organizations that would be expected to provide members are refusing to sign up?

Because Chehade is a bonehead. And he has risen above his abilities. He's not an Internet guy. He's a Chehade guy.

It's just a shame that when he takes the stage in Davos, Chehade will have to somehow put out of his mind all the objections from the internet's technical bodies, civil society, and the International Chamber of Commerce, and gloss over the multiple refusals to take seats on the very council he developed.

I suspect that the Davos attendees would not be particularly interested in that riffraff anyway. To my way of thinking though, the Davos crowd are not the people we should have anywhere near internet governance. This is not looking good.

2. Vociferous

Can someone interprete this to me like I'm 5 years old?

What does this all mean?

Power hungry third worlders trying to muscle in on ICANN space? Big egos seeking glory? Various governments (hello, EU!) trying to increase their influence and censorship of the net? NSA stooges trying to avoid meaningful privacy protection? All/none of the above?

1. Ole Juul

Re: Can someone interprete this to me like I'm 5 years old?

The US govt. has been trying to turn over the control of ICANN. Although there's some discussion about what control they have and how that can be done, no one has offered an acceptable (to US and others) idea until just recently. ICANN comes up with a plan that looks stupid, nobody really understands, and none of the important internet groups want to be involved with. Now the ICANN CEO is still pushing for something that no one supports (particularly those who's opinions matter). That's why I called him a bonehead.

Kieren McCarthy, the author of this article, covers ICANN and internet governance. I think rather well. Click on his name and you will see all his previous articles on elReg. Just look for ICANN in the title.

2. Roo
      Windows

Re: Can someone interprete this to me like I'm 5 years old?

You can have a cynical view for nothing. :)

I read it as some people who have decided that they will get more out of life by ingratiating themselves with a bunch of very wealthy and powerful folks at a meeting in Davos. They are hoping to accomplish this coup by offering a service that caters to the demands of the wealthy and powerful folks in preference to paying attention to the needs of the proles.

They are actually proving themselves to be useful by sticking two fingers up at the proles and doing corrupt stuff like trying to appoint themselves permanent positions of power. A little bit like the WW2 Vichy government but without any notion of civic duty.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Money's New Olde Role ...... SWIFT Reward and Surreal Bounty for Future Intelligence Provision

Hmmm? :-) Regarding ...

Fascinating tale of world elites, anti-NSA rumblings and the web's future

..... do not forget to remember IT Leaderships are all about Quantum Leaping and Magic Circles? ......

amanfromMars …..[1412171253] hitting a nail smack dead center on http://www.wired.com/2014/12/neal-stephenson-magic-leap/

So, Magic Leap is the cyber domain's alternative and replacement for NSA and CIA services and cracked and hacked programs for mindless mainstream media presentation.

Welcome to the future, Magic Leap. What kept you so long and Anonymous?

Love the fact that fistful of dollars are so supportive of ITs virtual development. Ah, yes, the American Dream which fiat currency providers are realising ....... Money and Manna from Heaven for Practically Nothing that is Really Important and Momentarily Semi-Permanent.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

It's an NSA plot!!!

I sense that Fort Meade is trying to retain disproportionate influence over the internet by making ICANN and this council look like a complete boondoggle hashed together so that the internet's new "secretariat" can fly first class, nosh on canapes and rub elbows with the rich and powerful!!

(Some would say that I am being paranoid, and ICANN has simply decided that the internet provides a great opportunity to cash in and become a member of an international gentry where you get to be called "your excellency", fly around between meetings at exclusive locations, nosh on canapes, mingle with the plutocracy and congratulate eachother on how important you are. But frankly, I find that conclusion is A) less interesting and B) more depressing.)

1. tom dial Silver badge

Re: It's an NSA plot!!!

Never infer a conspiracy when the superficially apparent facts speak for themselves. As here appears to be the case.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: It's an NSA plot!!!

Hi, Marketing Hack.

It would be wise to assume and presume that smarter stealthy and sublimely secure and even quite secretive intelligence services and internetworking server providers are at the controls of global command and real virtually remote power already and Davos is just a side show for wannabe leading puppets and entertaining media circuses stuck in the mainstream minefield with its plethora of minnow mind fields.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like