back to article Wanna buy a dot-word? If you want a .pizza the action, now's a chance

Everyone loves pizza. Even though the industry is responsible for cluttering millions of people's mailboxes with flyers, you'll still take a look and think about ordering one. Well, expect to see one minor change in those flyers from now on – the addition of new .pizza domain names – thanks to the launch of the internet …

1. Mark 85

Ooooo ---- excitement plus.

So I'll be waiting for someone in a C-Suite to call down and say they can't order pizza. I'll remote in or go up to their office probably find that they typed in dominos.pisa. <sigh>

.immo ??? WTF, something for media commenters?

2. -tim
    Megaphone

spam from .email?

So far every message from .email has been spam. I've added it to my root domain so it now gets auto rejected.

Other than a few .info sites, I don't think I've seen a legit web site with an alternate domain name.

I've been telling people that visiting the odd dot words are premium sites so they end up being like calling a 900 number and their ISP may charge them for it. The reality is they are more likely to pick up malware.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: spam from .email?

"Other than a few .info sites, I don't think I've seen a legit web site with an alternate domain name.

Our local council uses .info. They do have .gov.uk too but that just redirects to .info. I assume they had a marketing consultant in to sort out their website at some stage.

3. Chris 239
    Thumb Down

Phishermans Charter

I think this opening up of the .<anything> registry is just money grab by the the registrars will be a phishermans charter.

4. I am David Jones
    WTF?

.immo

.immo probably stands for "immobilien", German for property.

I don't get the long ones though, everyone has been shortening their URLs and then someone comes along with .photography ???

1. VinceH

Re: .immo

"I don't get the long ones though, everyone has been shortening their URLs and then someone comes along with .photography ???"

Mad, isn't it?

Having said that, despite my general misgivings about this new name protection racket these new TLDs , after a lot of umming and ahing, I have decided to register the appropriate .software domain name for my trading name.

But that's not in the interests of the gimmicky name, or an attempt to shorten it - it is a matter of protecting it. :(

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: .immo

How disappointing. I thought we finally had gTLDs for asteroids. Or obscure bishops.

Either of those would be as useful and sensible as all the other gTLDs I've seen. Or the concept of gTLDs in general.

5. Omgwtfbbqtime
    Trollface

hmm interesting domains...

.isis

.terror

.spam

can I have .FU2?

1. NumptyScrub

Re: hmm interesting domains...

Yep, for a measly $180k (or whatever the price was) you can attempt to own .fu2

I don't think the fee is refundable if they decide not to grant it though :/

6. Adolph Clickbait
    Coat

Can't blame them...

for wanting a .pizza da action

1. Tom Wood
      FAIL

Re: Can't blame them...

See headline.

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Facepalm

So, let me get this straight...

SEO people are saying .word TLDs are getting better rankings on Google, a search engine who happens to own a number of new .word TLDs?

Peaple are still using google to search for stuff and Google is serving up .word TLDs in preference to standard TLDs so the users are not looking for .word TLDS but being sent to them.

I'm glad they told us this. Next, I want to know where bears go for a shit and what religeon the Pope is.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: So, let me get this straight...

"SEO people" would claim that sacrificing livestock to your servers will improve search rankings, if they thought they could get away with it. I dare say they'll jump on board anything they can charge for.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like