back to article Remember that Big Blue Apple? Biz apps for iPads are here

The fruits of Apple and IBM’s enterprise software alliance were today plucked and displayed for the world to see: a bunch of apps ported to iOS that target corporate buyers of iPad and iPhones in specific vertical industries. In the first tranche of Big Blue developed MobileFirst “made for business” apps and “supporting” …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Instant banshee

Preceding any quote with the word "shrieked" provides a lovely image of a crazed, coked-up PR exec shouting at throngs of people who simply want to get past him or her without getting scratched. Well done.

2. Graphsboy

With friends like these........

Bit of a p*sser for the Register - that's two companies you're going to have to keep having a pop at now because of this thing you have about Apple. Won't be long before you have no friends - well apart from the Android desperados you can huddle in the corner with whilst having a rant at the more popular kids on the block.

Dead Steve Jobs indeed ;)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't believe IBM is able to create something to Apple quality standards

Perhaps I've had too much exposure to IBM Global Services kind of "services", perhaps it is because I remember their latest attempts at client software (Notes!!!) but I can't believe the IBM of today is able to create any significant piece of functional software that has not an horrible user interface.

All software coming from IBM as of late is really some acquired product rebranded and tarnished. I can't think of anything developed by IBM itself capable of reaching mimimal usability. Much less Apple levels of usability. So looking at some of the screenshots I can't help but think "this is not IBM software" Any clues of who actually designed it?

1. qzdave

Re: Can't believe IBM is able to create something to Apple quality standards

Ouch. Whilst I'm not blind to IBM's weaknesses, thats unduly harsh.

Firstly Notes is 1000 years old. Cheap shot, congratulations, nuff said.

Secondly GBS doesn't develop software, its a consulting firm. Software is developed by Software Group. Which is a separate multi billion dollar business.

Thirdly the rhetoric... *All* software is tarnished? Incapable of 'minimal' useability?

What you meant to say was: "I hate Notes and don't know any other IBM software, but I'm surprised how good this looks."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

<<Firstly Notes is 1000 years old>>

Lots of packages are as old as Notes, yet they have managed to at least attempt to evolve its user interface. Notes has barely evolved in comparison.

<<Secondly GBS doesn't develop software, its a consulting firm. Software is developed by Software Group. Which is a separate multi billion dollar busines>>

So IBM Software Group is not massively laying off people in "resource expensive" countries and replacing them with offshored resources and progressively decreasing the quality of their deliverables and support in the name of short term profits? Oh sorry, they call it "resource actions" And I believe that is an IBM-wide tendency, not restricted to Global Services. But I could be wrong.

<<Thirdly the rhetoric... *All* software is tarnished? Incapable of 'minimal' useability?>>

Again, I could be wrong. Examples, please: can you name an IBM developed product (not acquired) with some resemblance to being usable? I don't see IBM designed products used as examples of usability.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The world's Banks and major companies would not run without IBM products. I'm not just talking about the Mainframe world but there are a large number of other products that keeps business going.

Ironically, several of them are actually developed here in Blighty (at IBM Hursley)

Yes, I would say that because products like MQ have kept me in employment for the last 15+ years.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not saying that they are not good or work. But surely they are not exactly examples of usability.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like