back to article Keep your court orders to YOURSELF – human rights chief slaps US

A European human rights watchdog says companies are being pressured into acting as the internet’s unofficial cops. Nils Muižnieks – the Council of Europe's Commissioner for Human Rights – has published an "issue paper", raising alarm bells about “privatised law enforcement, suspicion-less mass data retention, cross-border …

1. Dan Paul

Gottalottaballs here...

Then what exactly have the EUC and various European courts been doing demanding that Google (a US based company) do this or that to "forget" a particular search that a person or company would like removed from Google's search index as a result of an order from a European Court?

"Muižnieks said there “should be limits on the extraterritorial exercise of national jurisdiction in relation to transnational cybercrimes”. In other words, the US shouldn’t be able to access your private data in Europe just because it wants to."

To paraphrase "In other words, the EUC (or any other entity) shouldn’t be able to access your private data in (wherever) just because it wants to."

Could you people please make up your minds and figure out what you want?

1. Gazman

Re: Gottalottaballs here...

Have to disagree:

1) 'Google' is, in effect, a cluster of companies set up in different jurisdictions.

2) Those Google companies set up inside EU Member States are subject to EU law.

So no contradiction at all.

2. lucki bstard

The EU ruling applied only to search results from within Europe, ie www.google.co.uk It did not affect results from US, ie www.google.com.

Yesh I've been reading this since 1997 and the comments get less technical everyday. Before you type engage your brian.

1. fruitoftheloon

@lucki bstard Re: Gottalottaballs here...

What happens if your brian is having a challenging day?

Just wondered.

J.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @lucki bstard Gottalottaballs here...

@fruitoftheloom

Easy.

You walk around in gumboots, knotted hankie on head, shouting "Doctor, my Brian hurts."

1. kmac499

Not surprised you're Brian hurts; He's spending all his time trying to convince people "He's not the Messiah, he's just a very naughty boy."

2. fruitoftheloon

@AC Re: @lucki bstard Gottalottaballs here...

Ac,

thanks for clarifying that!

J

2. hplasm
          Megaphone

I'm Brian, and so is my wife!

1. Richard Taylor 2

So are all of my snails

3. Rick Giles
          Pirate

"What happens if your brian is having a challenging day?"

Then you shouldn't be posting on the internet Mr. President...

2. Muckminded

"Yesh I've been reading this since 1997 and the comments get less technical everyday. Before you type engage your brian."

Actually, comments on The Reg are among the few that (usually) get intelligent critiques instead of mere trollbait vitriol. Unless we're talking Microsoft, Apple, Google, and, oh nevermind.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Gottalottaballs here...@lucki bstard

No,

You are incorrect as the latest EUC punative fiasco will likely now have Google having to edit the records for dot com URLs because anyone could just type in dot com instead of .co.uk etc and find the results that Googe "de-indexed" on the European Domains.

All in the name of the same anti-competitive BS that you Euros are reknowned for. If you can't cut it, must be a monopoly.

Oh, btw BRAIN is not brian. YES is not YESH. Learn to spell.

3. Pseu Donyme

Different issues. The 'right to be forgotten' decision was about preventing Google from disclosing certain kinds of information as a part of a commercial service provided to the public. Microsoft is currently trying to argue against being compelled to disclose a third party's information to the state as a part of a criminal investigation. There is a unifying, consistent theme of protecting privacy though.

4. John Bailey

"Then what exactly have the EUC and various European courts been doing demanding that Google (a US based company) do this or that to "forget" a particular search that a person or company would like removed from Google's search index as a result of an order from a European Court?"

The opposite of what is being discussed.

""Muižnieks said there “should be limits on the extraterritorial exercise of national jurisdiction in relation to transnational cybercrimes”. In other words, the US shouldn’t be able to access your private data in Europe just because it wants to.""

Correct.

And Saudi Arabia should not be allowed to access what ever it wants in Columbia, and China should not be allowed to access what ever it wants in Russia.

But specifically..

Courts should not be allowed to break through jurisdiction limits by ordering companies registered within their jurisdiction to hand over information on their servers in entirely different jurisdictions. Asking a company to break local laws is a bit of a nono.

"To paraphrase "In other words, the EUC (or any other entity) shouldn’t be able to access your private data in (wherever) just because it wants to."

Correct.

"Could you people please make up your minds and figure out what you want?"

We have.

Your inability to understand it however is out of our jurisdiction.

Might I suggest acquiring some Sesame Street episodes. I believe they had a song about telling things apart that you might find instructive. They use puppets and bright colours, so I'm sure the idea will eventually sink in.

1. sabroni Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: Might I suggest acquiring some Sesame Street episodes....etc...

That is some top quality sarcasm! Nice!

2. Ron Luther
        Holmes

Let me see if I have this right ... (admitting that lag times might get a bit annoying) ... but it sounds like a fairly simple, albeit droll, exercise to repartition my data so that different fields and pointers are stored on servers in different countries ... thereby insuring that, legally, I never have to give any data to anyone? <runs quickly off to the patent office />

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Gottalottaballs here...@John Bailey

No, John Bailey

This is simply a continuation of the same crap you people ALWAYS spout before you cry real tears and take your ball home. If you can't compete with a company, you just get a Eurocrat to stack the deck against them. One way or another you try to put roadblocks in front of ANY US company to make your own SEEM better. That's called Tortious Interference:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/tortious_interference

I AM quite able to understand exactly that, it is out of your (LEGAL) jurisdiction to make Google Ireland pay British Taxes or Google US comply with British ( OOPS I forgot) spurious, anti-competitive European demands.

A little word substitution covers the rest of your "arguments". Substitute data for the word index and you could possibly understand if you weren't busy recommending the latest Sesame Street you were watching.

I am SO sorry I interrupted your preferred viewing.

5. Anonymous Blowhard

The Council of Europe is concerned with human rights, it is not a part of the European Union.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Europe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union

The Council of Europe has no power over individuals, only the governments that are supposed to be upholding, and occasionally abusing, their citizens' human rights.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Gottalottaballs here...@anonymous blowhard

One Eurocrat feeds another, The Council of Europe will recommend that the EUC do something that is clearly outside their jurisdiction. The so called European "Union" still can't figure it's way out of a wet paper bag.

As the article title says, Keep Your Court Orders to Yourself

2. veti Silver badge

Analysis

OK, so to what extent is this:

(1) grandstanding for domestic political consumption (US-bashing, always popular)

(2) a serious attempt to start a debate about jurisdictional ground rules

(3) reflexive anti-American Eurocratic wankery?

Having read up on Nils Muižnieks, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and say something like 30/60/10%, but I may be being too generous.

Unfortunately, the affected parties in the US will have no difficulty portraying it as more like 40/10/50, which will give them all the justification they need to ignore it. (And Nils Muižnieks must know that, he's not an idiot. Which is why I didn't give him more credit in the first place.)

1. P. Lee

Re: Analysis

The analysis plays into the American's hands - talking about motivation not action.

Fine the companies who don't comply with the local laws and make it worthwhile for whistle-blowers.

Breaking local law is not "a new thing" which needs to be discussed and debated. Only the level and method of punishment needs discussion.

Oi, American politicians, if you try to overrule/bypass our legal system through corporates, we'll keep taking their/your money until they lobby you for a different policy.

2. Pseu Donyme

I fear "reflexive anti-American Eurocratic wankery" could be construed as arrogant American anti-European balductum here on the European side of the pond.

1. Ole Juul

I fear "reflexive anti-American Eurocratic wankery" could be construed as arrogant American anti-European balductum here on the European side of the pond.

And on this side of the pond as well. It get's really tiresome.

3. Rick Giles
    Linux

This is why

we need to start using mesh networks that no one controls.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

So he's against...

“privatised law enforcement, suspicion-less mass data retention, cross-border pulling of data by law enforcement and global surveillance”.

When he's done with Uncle Sam, he's going to need a shipping container full of handcuffs to slap onto government types in London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: So he's against...

and so say all of us (in my region anyway)

5. HOW many?

Well at least OUR Guvvermint would never .....

..................... do a nasty thing like that.

Ohh, hang on -

Sorry Home Secretary. You would? Oh, you di............? But we didn't hear ........... Ah, I see. Right then.

6. HMB

David Blunkett

I don't know, at least this posturing makes a difference from David Blunket's idea of a fair deal with the US; a completely lop sided extradition treaty.

We have such lovely politicians here in the UK.

Machine gun the prisoners!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: David Blunkett

Give him his due, he couldn't actually read what he was signing...............

Rather normal for US of A contracts

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: David Blunkett

NO NO no, one bullet in the back of the head, much cheaper!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Muižnieks? Sounds like a communist to me

All this talk about Human Rights is a threat to Freedom(tm) - maybe he should be rendered to a CIA black site until he changes his opinion?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

Re: Muižnieks? Sounds like a communist to me

or care

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like