back to article CIA crypto-king offers new 'clock' clue to crack Kryptos code

The man who built a cryptographic sculpture for the CIA has provided a second clue to help crack its infamously difficult code. Standing in a courtyard inside the CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia, the last part of the Kryptos sculpture has remained unsolved for almost 25 years. Now Jim Sanborn, its creator, has given a …

1. Psyx

$$$$$!

"who will check their solution for $50, although he will not provide any more clues."

Nice gig if you can get it.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: $$$$$!

I suspect it's more like compensation for having to deal with cranks.

2. crackerjacks12345

He has to require the $50 because otherwise he would get massive amounts of submissions from everyone. I think he returns the money to you if your correct.

That is how some criminal tip lines with massive rewards are handled. They charge you a decent fee and only return it if the tip turns out to be a decent tip. That way they help weed out crazy people and liars but not normal people.

1. Psyx

"That way they help weed out crazy people and liars but not normal people."

There's a good way of solving the social problems of crazy people: Don't fix them; fine them!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The final piece of the code is:

I WAS ZODIAC.

3. Cliff

No meaning

The final puzzle really should be meaningless and insoluble - just figure on your deathbed that people will be begging you for an answer - doubly so if you suggest there's a prize buried etc...

Some days you just wanna see the world burn...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Considering the CIAs activities of the past 20 yrs...

...i'm surprised nobody has 'waterboarded' Jim to get the answer...wipe the smug grin of his face.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Considering the CIAs activities of the past 20 yrs...

<Insert XKCD $5 wrench cartoon here>

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IS IT CUCKOO CLOCK?

Well......is it?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ABACUS

units, tens, hundreds, thousands..........hmm

7. mix
    Terminator

Solved this years ago, it simply reads...

"All your base are belong to us."

8. chris lively

1. Make contacts with the CIA.

2. Create a fun "sculpture" for them.

3. ????

4. Profit.

Clearly, Jim figured out step 3.

9. Starek

3rd clue - BERLIN CLOCK AUDIO

searching internet i came up with 'apparently' next clue (next following word) - BERLIN CLOCK AUDIO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwWmumgiDCU

10. Blatantly Obvious

Kryptos

The Berlin clock uses 4 lights below seconds for 5 hours each, and below that, 4 bars for 1 hour each (Uneven interval blocks).

On a not completely unrelated note, take a look at the coordinate projected on the other side of the plaza. Now look at the Kryptos. Something should be abundantly clear. If not, shine a light on it. Something I vaguely recall being used in ancient Greece and China.

SH

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon