back to article Cisco and IBM team on 'VersaStack' integrated infrastructure bundle

Cisco and IBM will later today announce “VersaStack”, an integrated infrastructure reference design that blends Cisco's UCS servers and switches, plus IBM's Storwize 7000 storage arrays. The new rig looks an awful lot like other integrated stacks Cisco's helped to build, such as NetApp's FlexPods. The thinking behind …

1. Sonarwolf
    Facepalm

the hell did i just read!

1. klaxhu

Re: ...

you read about ibm and cisco ...GOING DOWN!!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IBM brings to the show, as mentioned, Real-Time compression with full HW assist and Tiering via EasyTier. What was not mentioned is the ability for V7000 to virtualize external storage arrays and use the existing data volumes in place on 3rd party arrays. Over 270+ array types supported. All externally virtualized storage inherits the same rich suite of software features, tools, and data services. This really does add some differentiation to the UCS offering.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wonder

Whether Cisco are ultimately hoping to pick up the v7000 series?

Think about it, IBM are keen to divest anything hardware related and Cisco really do need storage longer term. Cisco may as well take some time to understand and integrate the IBM platform (unlike the Whiptail acquisition they dived into feet first). This way IBM get to buy back a few more shares (their favourite pass time) and Cisco can hit the ground running when they finally decide to give EMC and Netapp the old heave-ho,....jobs a good-un.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder

Are IBM still even doing the V3000 & V7000 ? I've heard from several people in the channel that the V7000's now need to go through Lenovo.

3. waltercarroll

Cisco and IBM are global leaders in the IT industry. The VersaStack solution gives you the opportunity to take advantage of integrated infrastructure solutions targeted at cloud, big data and analytics, mobility, and virtualized solutions. The VersaStack solution is backed by Cisco Validated Designs and IBM RedBooks to provide faster delivery of applications, greater IT efficiency, and less risk.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like