back to article Apple denied 'App Store' trademark by Australian court

Australia's Federal Court has decided Apple cannot trademark the term “App Store”. Apple's been trying to own the term in Australia since 2008, but in 2013 the nation's Registrar of Trademarks ruled that App Store “ does not distinguish the applicant on its own.” In other words, App Store doesn't apply to Apple alone. The …

1. Big-nosed Pengie

Maybe if the twunts at Apple paid tax on their Australian operations they'd have a stronger argument.

1. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

It's enough to drive you Round the Corner.

Aussie judge: "Think you can buy the law here like you do in Texas? Think different."

2. tkioz
    Holmes

I'm glad our courts have a shred of common sense.

3. John Tserkezis

"In other words, App Store doesn't apply to Apple alone"

I'm shocked. Speechless, just shocked. One of our courts has a judge that has a bit of common sense.

1. big_D Silver badge
      Facepalm

Selber Schuld

As they say in Germany. Maybe if Apple hadn't used the term generically at their own press events, they might have had a leg to stand on.

4. Tim Roberts 1

tax?

Tax, what tax? we don't pay no stinkin tax!!! But give us our trademark anyway to protect our business in oz from predators who would have us pay even less tax because we earn less if they use "app store" . Fuck you apple - I'll be more sympathetic about your trademarks when you pay the same tax rate as me....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought US law applied in ALL states, even the most southern six?

1. UncleDave
      Trollface

There, fixed it for you.

I thought US law applied in ALL countries.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Happy

Re: There, fixed it for you - insufficient vision

I thought US law applied in the entire galaxy.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Deja vu

The just don't give up do they?

In 2011 to 2013 they LOST the right in the USA to block Amazon using the term app store as it was generic, yet here they are, still trying to fight for the name.

Just give it up will you!

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-06-22/apple-bid-to-bar-amazon-appstore-will-likely-be-denied.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/03/apple_loses_round_to_amazon_in_app_store_dispute/

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Deja vu

Have you ever tried recalling an unleashed lawyer? If you cut off the money supply, they sue, and that way lies recursion. It's easier to just initiate the destruct sequence.

1. Michael Habel

Re: Deja vu

Well you could just say that you now officially "broke", and have no way to continue paying for their Service. At which point, I gather if your Name is Dotcom. Said Barristers would then promptly bugger off...

2. tony2heads
        Devil

@Frankee Llonnygog

Destruct sequence!

I wish somebody told me before that lawyers have a self-destruct function.

Icon: Lawyer

7. MJI Silver badge

prats!

App Store?

If they want to trade mark a name add the le on to App

Stupid Apple prats.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: prats!

This is Australia not France, I believe they are still suing over LeApp Store

8. dan1980

Did I read that right? Did Apple argue that Microsoft's use of 'Windows Phone Store' instead of 'App Store' proves their point?

MIS, like most other companies want some semblance of consistent branding. If the rulings in the US have prevented them using 'App Store' then they;re hardly going to call it one thing in the US and another in Australia.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's next?

Why not try to trademark the letter 'A' and anyone using the letter must pay royalties to Apple?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's next?

I think they tried that and if they haven't you shouldn't be giving them ideas.

2. daemonoid

Re: What's next?

iThink they may prefer a different vowel...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"App Store" generic term again?

So then Google could switch to Google App Store instead of their ridiculous Google Play...

11. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Hmmm.

{clump}{clump}{clump}

{shuffle}

{blow}{cough}{cough}

Here we are. Two 3.5in Floppy Disks labelled Apps1 and Apps2. Bought along with a computer from a bricks & mortar shop (or store if you're a left pondian).

'nuff sed?

12. admiraljkb

Yeah, App Store was and is too generic. "Apple AppStore" would be much easier to legitimately defend, similar to Microsoft Windows. (ala Windows by itself isn't defensible.) If wanting a single word, App$tore would work. or @ppStore, or perhaps AppStor3? I'd think a company of "think different" would come up with something really creative there. :) Lets face it, App had already been in widespread usage because who wants to type "Application" in an email? I always shortened it to app, and that was in the days of Compuserve.

13. TheFatMan

oh

I thought it was short for Application store?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like