back to article Google kills CAPTCHAs: Are we human or are we spammer?

Google has developed a new CAPTCHA-like system to allow people, and not automated software, into websites with only a single click. The "No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA" offers a tick box for humans to check rather than distorted text to decipher. It's designed so that automated spam software is still fooled by it and gets stuck on the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not really clear to me why a bot can't match pictures. Still if if proves difficult today, probably by Monday.

1. Charles 9

It does pique my curiosity. I note this as a difference merely in degree and not in kind. Image processing is a known-to-be-developed tech because that's the tech behind facial recognition. Sounds to me like the only thing image recognizers need is some time and metadata to train on, then they'll probably be able to defeat image-based CAPTCHAs at about the same level as text-reading ones. And not even the best CAPTCHA in the world is a match for a cyberslave farm, being as they're literally indistinguishable from honest users.

1. James Micallef Silver badge

Maybe what is needed is a combination of natural language processing (still a more difficult task for computers than image recognition, and even more difficult if you combine spelling mistakes and ambiguities) and ethics (of which AI currently has none AFAIK)

example

- Pulling wings off flies is wrong all the time

- It's time my friend pulled off a flies wing

- I have a great time pulling off flies wings

- My friend time flies if you give it wings

Then you formulate a question in a way that requires you to enter an answer rather than select one (otherwise the AI can randomly guess the correct answer if it's just multiple choice)

1. Jedit Silver badge
          Paris Hilton

"Maybe what is needed is a combination of natural language processing and ethics"

But then how would lawyers, politicians and bankers get online?

1. James Micallef Silver badge
            Happy

Re: "Maybe what is needed is a combination of natural language processing and ethics"

An excellent unintended side-effect!

2. breakfast Silver badge

Re: "Maybe what is needed is a combination of natural language processing and ethics"

You're right- this would kill PHBbb altogether...

2. Interim Project Manager

It can, for example Microsoft also proposed an image based system a few years back, which was effectively broken soon after. See the paper 'Machine Learning Attacks Against the Asirra CAPTCHA' by Philippe Golle.

2. leon clarke

Google seems very clever in its use of capchas

Not only are they presenting you with a problem which computers are bad at solving. They're presenting you with a problem that they want solved. So for instance, the image capcha thing will obviously be used to improve image search just as the pictures of house numbers were obviously being used to improve google maps.

1. Tiny Iota
      Boffin

But if they didn't already know what the house number in the photo was, how would they be able to tell you had input the correct value in the CAPTCHA?

1. Irongut

@Tiny Iota

They don't actually test to see if you input the correct value. They test to see if you input the same value as the majority of people. They then assume that the majority are correct when using it to improve Maps.

1. theoutrider

Re: @Tiny Iota

I remember listening to a talk noting that a common filtering step in addition is to show the user *two* bits of text - one known, one unknown, and discard all answers that get the known text wrong, on the assumption that if someone gets the known text wrong their answer to the unknown text is also untrustworthy while chances are that if someone gets the known text right they'll at least have given the unknown their best shot. Reduce number of answers to process AND (at least presumably) improve the quality of the answers you DO look at in one fell swoop.

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

If you could present the image you are trying to match to a google image search would it not tell you what the image is?

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/1325808?hl=en Reverse image search.

"When you search by image, your results may include:... web results for pages that include matching images"

3. jonathanb Silver badge

They have one photo where they know the answer, and another where they don't know the answer. You only have to get one of them right, but you don't know which one it is.

4. Turtle

Numbers.

"pictures of house numbers were obviously being used to improve google maps..."

Google can give me a house number if they want but they *never* get a right answer from me. I will *always* sabotage the answer, either by leaving out or, conversely, inserting a digit, or interchanging 1's and 7's, 0's and 8's, 9's and 4's, etc. The important thing is that the number they get is as different as possible from the actual number in the image. For example, changing 7038 to 7036 is not really worthwhile, but changing it to 138 is very satisfying indeed.

1. Charles 9

Re: Numbers.

"Google can give me a house number if they want but they *never* get a right answer from me. I will *always* sabotage the answer, either by leaving out or, conversely, inserting a digit, or interchanging 1's and 7's, 0's and 8's, 9's and 4's, etc. The important thing is that the number they get is as different as possible from the actual number in the image. For example, changing 7038 to 7036 is not really worthwhile, but changing it to 138 is very satisfying indeed."

Two problems. First, they'll use statistics to remove you as an outlier. Second, you run the risk of sabotaging the wrong number (the known one) and getting rejected.

1. Old Handle

Re: Numbers.

It probably doesn't hurt google, but at least we're not helping them take over the world.

3. Camilla Smythe

Hmmmm...

http://xkcd.com/1444/

1. wabbit347

Re: Hmmmm...

http://xkcd.com/810/

2. Graham 24

Provided the image is of a bird, we have five years before this method is obsolete:

http://xkcd.com/1425/

1. breakfast Silver badge

...or do we?

http://parkorbird.flickr.com/

4. Florida1920
    Mushroom

Brute force solution

A phpBB forum I admin was getting too many spammer registrations from China. CAPTCHA was a total FAIL. I'm sorry to say I had to go with a Q&A in which the question involves an unhappy incident in modern Chinese history that citizens of that country are loathe to discuss. (Think ^2.) Baidu still trolls the site but we're not indexed anymore. Fortunately that's not a great problem for us, but I regretted having to do it. It was better than any alternative I could come up with, though. Now the majority of would-be spammers have Pakistan IP addresses, but registrations by known spammers (determined by checking IP/email address) are way down. I think this is a game in which site admins will always be playing catch-up.

1. petur

Re: Brute force solution

Pro tip: my board has most of the IP range of China blocked. Fixed the problem for quite a good part :)

(as the board is targeting a Dutch speaking audience, not much is lost, only once did an expat complain)

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

So does my Linux box here. The amount of pounding on my SSH port went from one every 3 minutes to maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why are you sorry? That's a brilliant solution. Now come up with more!

What happened in Tiannemen Square is something only the Chinese GOVERMENT should be embarrassed about. Those protesters are REAL heros, unlike some others we have recently been subjected to.

5. Mage Silver badge

Not just bots

"They" employ cheap humans to put adverts on sites.

6. Only me!
    WTF?

99.8%

How the heck do the bots get 99.8% I can get no where near that level of accuracy!!

1. LaeMing
      Go

Re: 99.8%

Maybe they should be blocking users who consistently get the CAPTCHA right, now?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Too true.

I used to stay up nights and weekends solving captchas. It was a fun challenge...and I didn't have anything better to do. For a couple of months, I was doing 1000+ per night.

These days, I typically have to refresh the captcha's 4+ times just to get one that I'll attempt to solve.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

My god the hours must have flown by...

Christ on an AT-AT man, there is a world full of women and beer and drugs out there and you spent THAT long "solving" CAPTCHAs..

Here's One.

5A0 8a5tar0...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I so need their OCR machine...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bank of America..

ALREADY does this.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are we human?

Are we not men?

We are devid....

9. Cynicalmark

Captcha?

oh fgs those are real? I thought I was tripping every time I saw one..........

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The main issue I see with image matching is that the Captcha folks will need to keep an image repository that is either large and/or dynamic enough that people can't just run through the test a bunch of times, saving the results for a bot to use.

Sure, Google could just grab a few million cat photos from their image search repository, but what is the legality of that? A legal set might be much smaller.

Also, there is a danger in using animals for the captcha. Image recognition software for people has become very good. It wouldn't be terribly difficult for a spam gang to enhance it to where it can tell a cat from a horse.

11. LaeMing
    Happy

No prizes

for guessing what captcha images ChatRoulette will be using!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No prizes

Can you give us a hint?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“All of this gives us a model of how a human behaves,” says Shet. “It’s a whole bag of cues that make this hard to spoof for a bot.” He adds that Google also will use other variables that it is keeping secret—revealing them, he says, would help botmasters improve their software and undermine Google’s filters.

Like keeping such "secrets" ever worked for anyone. I call this broken.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Headmaster

Security through Obscurity doesn't work on it's own. As part of a complete solution it does have it's place however.

Anything Google can do to make it just slightly harder for the spammers is good as far as they're concerned. Sure, sooner or later some bright spark will work out what they're doing, but it'll probably take a day or two at least.

13. Hollerith 1

Has anyone read a Google digitised book?

I have had the unfortunate experience, and have found that the quality is cr*p. They clearly went into their stooges' libraries (that is, academic libraries with custodians too stupid to get what what going to happen) and shoved books through scanners so fast that whole pages could be lost or distorted, and text turned into confetti or gobbedygook stays that way. I had to abandon them and never go near them any more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Has anyone read a Google digitised book?

No worse than the Telegraph.

14. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

Just another form of pattycake with the spammers and scammers

If the google were sincere about fighting the problem, then they would go after the spammers' business models. For example, they could create tools to allow us to donate a bit of our human intelligence (as motivated by our hatred of spam) to prevent the spammers from getting any money. They supply of suckers is MUCH smaller than the LARGE number of people who HATE SPAM. Why doesn't the google give us the tools to disrupt ALL of the spammers' infrastructure (rather than provide it), pursue ALL of the spammers' accomplices (rather than hide them), and help and protect ALL of the spammers victims (rather than help the spammers destroy the reputations of the same companies that are actually paying the google for ads).

I could answer at length with examples, but I'm just going to summarize: Because the google is EVIL. Their new motto is "All of your attentions is belonging to us!"

Okay, I can't resist one example of annoying google EVIL. It's the new trend in fake Android ads. The idea is to get you to click and install various kinds of poorly vetted and dangerous apps. There are several forms of it, but the two most frequent (that I've been noticing) are (1) fake controls for some kind of media player, typically showing nothing but a "Play" and "Download" button and (2) fake mailbox notifier, usually with the circle number thing to trick you into thinking there are some personal messages coming in. I think the "Download" one is most diabolical because its easy for the sucker to get confused and think something like "Did I actually want to download this app?" By which time, it's probably too late.

1. Jonathan Richards 1

...the new trend in fake Android ads

To be fair, the ads aren't (IME) ads either devised by Google or for Google products. If they catch the user's attention, well, that's what good advertisements do. If the product/service that they promote is harmful, I think you will find that Google will take action against the advertiser if you complain. If you're the sucker that clicks on something that says "New message: read NOW!!" just because you can't help yourself, then you're the sort of person that the ad-supported platforms love.

2. Charles 9

Re: Just another form of pattycake with the spammers and scammers

"If the google were sincere about fighting the problem, then they would go after the spammers' business models."

How specifically can you attack a business model that is profitable at a one-to-BILLION ratio? And has a moving target with known anti-West havens to hide in? Not to mention innocent computer users caught in botnets? Frankly, I don't know how you can squelch spammers without squelching the Internet itself. It's sort of like critical speech. You can't squelch critical speech without squelching speech itself.

15. harmjschoonhoven
    Facepalm

Had Google to kill CAPTCHAs because it got too many complaints from real people who could not remember the 26 letters of the alphabet?

16. Daniel Voyce

Captcha is atrocious for usability

Fair enough on things where the bots can actually cause some serious annoyance / forgeries / bulk buying, but on a standard website 9.9 times out of 10 a simple honeypot system works as effectively and is much less annoying to the user, we have implemented it on all of our contact forms and spam from these forms has dropped to zero!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Captcha is atrocious for usability

But have you gotten e-mails from people hit locked out by false positives? Plus the spammers are getting smart and starting to deploy anti-honeypot tricks like ignoring elements that are normally hidden.

17. Adolph Clickbait

Free pr0n

I thought spammers were using free pr0n type sites, then presenting someone else's captcha to the pr0n consumer.

18. Martin H Watson

i'm not a programmer, but surely even if you have 10 checkboxes that will only kill 9 tenths of the spam.

1. Daniel Hutty

Re: I'm not a programmer

> i'm not a programmer, but surely even if you have 10 checkboxes that will only kill 9 tenths of the spam.

Only if you have 10 checkboxes *of which exactly one must be checked*; the bot then has a one-in-ten chance of randomly guessing correctly. Otherwise it's not quite that simple.

Assume that there are 10 checkboxes, and depending on the images displayed, any number (including zero) of these may need to be checked for the solution to be correct.

That's 2 to the power of 10, i.e. 1024 possible combinations, which gives less than 0.1% chance that a bot deciding entirely at random whether to check each box will guess correctly.

If we instead suppose that we know that exactly 5 of the 10 boxes should be checked, but we don't know *which* 5, there are 252 possible combinations of 5-out-of-10 checkboxes i.e. 10!/(5! * (10-5)!) see here for an explanation of why).

This still gives less than 0.4% chance of a bot randomly selecting the right combination.

Either way, you'd expect it to kill over 99% of spam *generated by dumb bots guessing randomly*

However, add in even a fairly low-accuracy image-recognition module to your bot (as long as it beats a coin-flip) and things rapidly change. If your image recognition module is, say, 75% accurate, the chance of getting 10 images right in a row is now (3/4)^10) = 0.056... i.e. better than 5% chance of getting it right; still not great, but an improvement (from the spammer's POV of course!). Improve your image recogniser to 80% accuracy, and this nearly doubles, and so on.

1. Charles 9

There also the issue that spammers tend to think in large numbers. If you try millions of times, even a fraction of a percent still makes a decent absolute result. When 1 in millions or even billions turns a profit, it's rather hard to remove without some form of collateral damage.

2. Vic

That's 2 to the power of 10, i.e. 1024 possible combinations, which gives less than 0.1% chance that a bot deciding entirely at random whether to check each box will guess correctly.

Judging by the stats from my mailserver, spammers would take those odds...

Vic.

19. Benjol

I'm missing something here: the text talks about image recognition, but I saw no images in the video?

20. Yugguy

Oh they're so NICE to us

Love the way this is being billed as they're doing it because they want to help the end user get on easier.

NO - they're doing it because it has become completely pointless - 99.8% accessible by automation.

21. Rogue Jedi

I would guess I have about an 80% sucess ratio at decyphering captcha. certainly some types are much harder to decypler than others, the hardest I have found looked like old black and white photos of crumpeled newspaper articles, it took me 6 attempts to sucessfully decypher one.

also some captchas only seem to accept lower case answers, others do not care about case while others are case sensitive, this seems to account for about half of my failures

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Timers? Mouse movements?

IMHO, they should open the method to make people believe in its robustness. Honeypots, timers, text input analysis - so old and well-known. But why they (google and others) use just photos of smth. or smb.? Nowadays 3D-graphics is everywhere - even smartphone can easily generate it, but why not for CAPTCHA? I can't understand it. Only couple of such methods I've found: 3D image CAPTCHA by Marcos Boyington (YUNiTi project) and Gestcha (hand gesture CAPTCHA). Take a look at them!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Timers? Mouse movements?

I think because 3D graphics take the device itself to generate. If the device can generate, the device can interpret it and perhaps solve for them, meaning a spammer could program malware or the like to solve for the graphic. In addition, there still exist old smartphones that can do 2D reasonably but not 3D, meaning you lock them out of the loop. Plus not we're still talking visual clues, which do diddly for the blind and mean you run into disabilities laws.

Honeypots? Anti-honeypot techniques could be used that can detect what parts of the page are hidden, meaning the spammer knows to ignore those elements. After all, if a browser can figure out how to hide an element, why can't the spammer?

As for gesture recognition and so on, I don't think these are that difficult to simulate for a machine. They're just trying to be as quick as possible but if forced to "Hurry up and wait," they can do that, too. Toss in a little entropy and a good PRNG and they can probably fool anything we can cook up.

23. Wensleydale Cheese
    FAIL

The last CAPTCHA I couldn't get past probably did me a favour

Out of frustration I went looking for some means of contacting the admins but found no means of doing so.

All I found were some extremely heavy Terms and Conditions, which I preferred not to accept.

Ultimately their loss, not mine, I suppose.

24. Rande Knight

Diversity needed

The reason they can solve them is because it's the same type of problem all the time. Viruses hit harder when the crop has little diversity.

Have a range of problem types. Have maths problems, ethics problems, 2D and 3D puzzles, mini-games...the possibilities are endless.

OTOH, I do like the idea that this is just a way to make spammers solve the image recognition problem for them (now that they've solved the word recognition problem) and then buy the solution on the grey market for a few thousand.

25. dp2web

Great Tool but how can be used on blogger websites

Looks like Google has set out to be the platform that de-stresses you at every step of your online journey. The search engine giant has changed the way we had to tediously type out random codes on ‪#‎CAPTCHA‬ boxes earlier to prove that we're not a robot.Now, all you have to do is click a tick-box & it automatically recognizes if you're a bot or not! But how can use this on my DP2Web Website??

26. mrjohn

Why does every Google video have a soundtrack featuring a ukelele?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like