back to article Did North Korean hackers nobble Sony Pictures?

Sony Pictures has reportedly begun investigating possible hacking links to North Korea, following a savage attack on its network earlier this week. According to Re/code, which cited insiders, the company was yet to determine whether Nork hackers, possibly operating from within China, were behind the attack. As The Register …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What proof does anyone have that Sony was hacked at all?

Sounds like a typical Hollywood PR stunt.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Windows

Re: What proof does anyone have that Sony was hacked at all?

My thoughts exactly.

We are all so ... cynical these days.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

http://torrentfreak.com/sony-movies-leak-online-after-hack-attack-141129/

Paris Hilton

The files detailed below appear to relate to the automatic content recognition systems operated by anti-piracy company Audible Magic.

audible_magic_sftp_private_key.ppk

set_ssh-private-key-file.htm

private_and_private_key.txt

"Good. GOOD!" (Galactic emperor handwring and cackling laughter).

But ... they are using PuTTY?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"sony-movies-leak-online-after-hack-attack"

Lol - not Cinavia infected either. Allegedly.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sony's PCs all have a root kit deployed on them without their permission? How ironic. It couldn't have happened to a nicer company.

Say PS4 owners how's it going playing Cinavia infected movies from your DNLA media players? What? - oh you need an Xbox One to do that?!.....

1. garden-snail
        Joke

Most Sony executives don't know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A plague on both their houses

My lack of sympathy is equally distributed. Is Adam Sandler in this movie? - that would tip the balance.

Re: A plague on both their houses

In what direction?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A plague on both their houses

nuclear war

3. Frankee Llonnygog

What a pity

I hear the attack disrupted production on The Dear Leader Saves Stuart Little from the Imperialist Running Dogs

4. William Donelson

Wow, what a turkey of a movie!

5. WalterAlter
    Devil

Norks?! Yahright.

I got a pain in my ass this morning. Must have walked through a Nork ass ray at the mall yesterday.

6. Chris G

Serves 'em right

If the description of the movie is anything to go by, something terrible SHOULD happen to Sony. Going by the description and what was said earlier about the film Men, Women and Children it 's time for a shake up of the industry. Poor plots and nth remakes or sequels are not what the customer wants although I could stand a sequel to Little Orphan Annie, I always did wonder what she got up to as an adult.

1. Mark 85

Re: Serves 'em right

Maybe pupils for her eyes? (One has to remember the comic strip to understand.)

1. Michael Habel

Maybe pupils for her eyes? (One has to remember the comic strip to understand.)

Why specifically just her?!

1. Mark 85

Because she didn't have any. Everyone usually squinted so we don't know if they had pupils or not.

7. The Morgan Doctrine

I've really been looking forward to this movie!

I thought this was a hilarious premise, snuffing that mental (and otherwise) midget from North Korea, the only world leader who uses his stupidity as a tactical asset. I'm hoping the negative comments are part of a NORK disinformation campaign. Go for it Franco and Rogan! I hope you win an academy award. And Merry Christmas Kim Jong-un.

1. PleebSmash
      Trollface

Re: I've really been looking forward to this movie!

Getting hacked: pricey.

Baiting NK into generating more press for your movie: priceless.

8. Lapun Mankimasta

Son of Stuxnet?

First thought of mine. Stuxnet's out there, source code for it's available if you've got the cash, and there's a company out there's painted a target on its back ... rootkit's just the icing on the cake, the cream on the strawberries (or manure, if that's what you like) ...

9. SkepticScott

Share Value of Sony Corp is $15 Billion, GDP of North Korea is $12 Billion. Sony a global organisation providing end to end equipment and services, TV's to watch media, Film Studios to produce media, and Sony has a stranglehold on the production industry, everyhing from tapes, camera, tape decks, its all Sony.

In comparison, North Korea is a bankrupt state whose leader Kim Jung Un was once caught visiting Tokyo Disney Land on a false passport; besides two alleged nuclear bombs (and no dlivery system) Kim Jung Un is no Blofeld. He's a comic character who, like his father before him is a useful scapegoat for American military operations in the region.

Now he has been turned into a comic stooge for Hollywood. The Interview is a crap movie which was scheduled for a Hollywood DUMP in January; then someone came up with this over the top fantastical idea and suddenly the film is a download hit. No distribution costs, no marketing costs, gotta admit it is a brilliant ruse without which none of us would have ever heard about the movie.

North Korea can't organise a trip to Disneyland for it's dear leader, the idea that it could take on the might of Sony is laughable and will no doubt provide fodder for the sequal

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like