back to article Uber exec wanted to sic private dicks on critics ... Hey, Emil Michael, COME AT US, bro

Car hire upstart Uber has apologized after a top exec suggested hiring investigators to expose the personal lives of its critics. Senior veep of business Emil Michael said at a private dinner in New York City that Uber could blow "a million dollars" assembling a crack team of gumshoes and journalists to find dirt on the …

1. Amazon Wageslave
    Flame

Weasel words

"...do not reflect my actual views..." this fake apology bollox needs to stop. Why were you saying it if it didn't reflect your views? Are you in the habit of randomly suggesting your company engages in practices that you disagree with?

1. dan1980

Re: Weasel words

The only way that it doesn't is if you are arguing with someone who is demanding you deal with these 'rogue' reporters who aren't toeing the line and doing so by saying facetiously that you could 'deal' with them by doing something over-the-top.

Kind of how when my partner asked me what we're going to do about Christmas this year, I suggested murder-suicide.

But when that's what you're saying, it should be pretty clear by the context and tone. It'd also be pretty easy to clear up, without resorting to the "do[es] not reflect my actual views" line.

2. Mephistro
    Thumb Up

"... if you're not causing trouble, you're not doing it right."

This should be engraved in 1 foot tall typeface in every news outlet's office walls.

1. Mike Moyle

Re: "... if you're not causing trouble, you're not doing it right."

Unfortunately,. you can be causing trouble and STILL not doing news right. Viz. Fox "News" and any number of other sh!t-stirrers.

1. WraithCadmus
        Joke

Re: "... if you're not causing trouble, you're not doing it right."

@Mike Moyle

What's wrong with the Viz?

3. Erik4872

Top of the app bubble?

I seem to recall more than a few news stories from 1999-2000 involving insane tech startup CEO behavior that have a similar smell to this one. Every corporate executive has to have some serious balls and be willing to do crazy things, but it's that special combination of inexperience and hubris that surfaces these interesting news stories. Even Zuckerberg manages to keep a reasonably low profile and have his handlers take care of things.

Most entertaining of the bunch is the one about the "CEO in the plastic pants" from theglobe.com. http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB988750097459636

I imagine we'll be seeing a few more of these before the final pop.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Top of the app bubble?

Living in the shadow of the valley, yes, you have tagged a valid precursor. When you go further in economic history, especially American, it shows up frequently. I'm trying to think of an American bubble where it hadn't and striking out.

It is very much a nouveau riche kind of thing. You rarely see that naked exercise of power with old money. Iron fist meet velvet glove. It'd make an interesting sort of analysis, except meeting either manifestation of fist.

4. DNTP

Crazystalking journalists isn't the kind of thing that takes balls; it just takes a--holes.

5. kain preacher

Dead reporters

If a few reporters wind up dead you know were to look. If he is already that bat shit insane, that's just the next level.

6. Pseu Donyme

On a related note

This sort of thing is why one's life on-line (browsing habits, searches, who you mix with, ...) should stay strictly private instead of being collected for commercial advantage, which ultimately means selling the information to the highest bidder: knowledge (of you) is power (over you).

7. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Gimp

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

KISS KISS KISS

Seriously though... I want to see someone take on El Reg and its giant economy size can 'o whoop-ass.

1. a pressbutton
      Coat

Re: FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

well, given the uk's libel laws, i would expect to smell bankruptcy from el reg's corpse

even if they won and got expenses

8. Mark 85

Benefit of the doubt...

I was thinking... what if the conversation was on "what could you do?". But no, I'm believing the guy is bit off center by about 3 A.U.'s worth or otherwise he would have put it similar to: "Well, we could, but we won't.". So it's a bullshit apology.

9. John Tserkezis

"Car hire upstart Uber has apologized after a top exec suggested hiring investigators to expose the personal lives of its critics."

I was pro-Uber till this. Now I'm going back to being raped and pillaged in regular Taxis. Or maybe I should take up hitchhiking.

1. Michael Thibault

Aside: Hitchhiking does offer a periodic change of scene. And you can look up without craning. And there's plenty of leg-room while checking out the scenery. But consider a bicycle as a principle mode; it has many advantages...

Anyway... the coin of apology is everywhere and inexorably being diluted--first by the mob-forced blood-vengeance demand for resort to it (for the slightest misstep, be it verbal, sartorial, etc.--no real limits) and, secondly, by the ease with which an apology can be shit out^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hissued from the corporate body, when circumstances really demand it, and everything being made 'nice' thereby. Apology is approaching meaninglessness asymptotically.

Über deserves a smoking hole, though, and that can't arrive too soon.

10. x 7

so Uber think Uber is uber alles??

couldn't we make up a song about that? Does Michael have a funny-looking mustache?

11. Mark 85
    Unhappy

Other news sources are hitting this even harder...

According Buzzfeed and others, theres more: Michael specifically criticized one journalist -- Sarah Lacy, the editor-in-chief of tech site Pando Daily, according to BuzzFeed. Lacy recently wrote a column calling out Uber for sexism and said she had deleted the app from her phone. At the dinner, according to an article by BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith, Michael "said that he thought Lacy should be held 'personally responsible' for any woman who followed her lead in deleting Uber and was then sexually assaulted."

I'm thinking that the only way Uber might even come close to ending this is fire the VP. But we all know full well, that he'll take his golden parachute and leap into a new VP slot somewhere else.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't get why this indignation

after all, bad PR is a fairly common practice amongst the largest business. Same as prostitution, war and a few other homo sapiens related business activities, nothing new here.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like