back to article TalkTalk wants more FOURPLAY, jumps into bed with Telefónica

Carphone Warehouse’s former pet telco TalkTalk has jumped ship from Vodafone to do an MVNO deal with Telefonica, signalling a move that will see it take on other quad-play telcos. The model of selling the four services of TV, broadband, fixed and mobile phones all as part of a single package is much more developed in other …

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
    Thumb Down

Landline provider?

Still tied to BT?

1. Chad H.

Re: Landline provider?

Only at an OR level (rather than BTW)... which means if you hate talk talk, you'll need to pay an install fee to get away from them.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

signs of Desperation if you ask me

Their normal BB service is shite in the evenings. (even worse than VM in my area).

Far too much contention to stream anything in real time.

3. Tom Wood

EE are getting into four-play too

EE TV is now available. Yes, it's basically a Freeview HD PVR with some other bells and whistles, but so is Talktalk's TV offering.

4. Chad H.

Manx telecom

From Wikpedia:

>>>>On 4 June 2010 Manx Telecom was sold [by Telefonica O2] to UK private equity investor HgCapital (who were buying the majority stake), alongside telecoms management company CPS Partners. HG Capital indicated that the enterprise value of the deal was 158.8 million pounds ($232.5 million).

5. Colin of Rame

Left hand - right hand

I am guessing that there is a bit of a lack of communication here. (Not unusual for a comms company).

I have a Talkmobile mobile.Purchased when I did not have a TalkTalk account. Presumably the sales trolls do not realise they are the same company.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Left hand - right hand

Talkmobile and "TalkTalk Mobile" are separate concerns. TalkTalk Mobile is tied to TalKTalk, while Talkmobile is Carphone Warehouse' own MVNO. Both on Voda though.

6. No Quarter

Seriously?

Do people love TalkTalk so much they would trust them with telly and 'phones as well as buggering up their broadband?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3.5MHz auction?

Time to get the old HF antennas out... not sure they will be very portable though!

1. Keith in Essex

Re: 3.5MHz auction?

Sounds interesting - but sorry to say you better put the HF antenna away as they mean to say 3.5 GHz (perhaps dig out some old Ionica antennas instead!).

2. Hubert Thrunge Jr.

Re: 3.5MHz auction?

Remember to end all of your text messages with 73 FB OM HI HI AR (or KN)

Will it use 45 or 50 baud RTTY I wonder?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I the only one who doesn't want my whole life in one bundle from an outfit whose business model seems to be to undercut their competition enough to acquire customers they can lock into longer and longer contracts?

The whole 4-play thing confuses me as it mixes "household" products (landline, broadband, TV) with "personal" products (mobile). What happens if you want to have 3 or 4 people in one household on mobile? Does it get expensive? Is it even possible?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like