back to article Hey, Apple! We can land a probe on a comet, but we can't have a 12.9in iPad 'until mid-2015'?

Apple has delayed plans to tout a fabled 12.9-inch iPad, if you are inclined to believe the latest round of speculation. Analyst house KGI Research (via AppleInsider) said the MaxiPad will be pushed back from the first quarter to the second quarter of 2015. It's claimed Apple's assembly lines and component suppliers have been …

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Yeah, but

They only have to build one probe, not millions.

And quite frankly, you won't catch me touching something called a "maxiPad" that's for the missus!

1. nematoad

Re: Yeah, but

To be fair to Apple ESA did lunch Rosetta 10 years ago, so if Apple can get out a large iPad by 2024 they would be about level on times with ESA.

2. returnmyjedi

Perhaps the delays are less to do with assembly issues and more to do with complications on the software side. An extra couple of inches to run iOS seems a little unnecessary; however to run OSX it makes perfect sense.

So maybe the fruity types are working night and day to get it to run on ARM architecture, enabling a hybrid iOSX. That strategy worked out beautifully for Microsoft.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Windows

Copy Microsoft?

They'll come up with a version of the Windows 8 live tiles with a strange way to switch between applications. Will be hailed as a great innovation and become an overnight success.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>So maybe the fruity types are working night and day to get it to run on ARM architecture, enabling a hybrid iOSX.

It's been done already in its Darwin form: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/07/mac_osx_on_arm/

If Apple were to try an OSX tablet, it would be for a reason - perhaps by focusing on the productivity software that might benefit from a touch / stylus interface. This might include Apple's own music and video productivity suites, or 3rd-party software such as Photoshop.

>That strategy worked out beautifully for Microsoft.

It could be said that the iPad itself was treading where MS had been before (WinXP Tablet Edition) - suggesting that the devil is in the implementation. Apple haven't made any radical changes to OSX ( a la Windows 'Metro', or MS's war on menus) but instead they have gently introduced some iOS features such as 'pinch to zoom'.

3. Gareth Gouldstone
    Happy

Waiting to register...

a suitable name as a trademark.

iSlab?

iSlate?

iFul?

iWad?

1. returnmyjedi

Re: Waiting to register...

Knock knock.

Who's there?

iWannap...

2. thomas k.

Much as we might find the name MaxiPad amusing in a sniggering schoolboy kind of way, I doubt Apple see fit to so christen it.

I predict it will be called ... (wait for it) ... the iPadXL.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I predict it will be called ... (wait for it) ... the iPadXL.

Nailed on to be the iPad +. Can already see the crappy poster with a picture of a rainbow apple logo close up and the tag line 'we've got something big to show you'.

Then there is weeks of hype about how it will run full OS X and iOS and how it has double the RAM of a standard iPad and a faster ARM processor and a sapphire screen and then the big day will arrive Tim Cook will walk on stage with a beaming smile talking about how this is the perfect tool for business and it will just be the same iPad specs at the minute in a slightly bigger case....

1. Tim Jenkins

"...a picture of a rainbow apple logo close up..."

There hasn't been a rainbow on the Apple since the return of Steve J and the start of the iMac era, more than 15 years ago. Do try to keep up ; )

2. It'sa Mea... Mario

iPad [Air?] Plus, shirley? in line with the larger iPhone...

3. kmac499

12.9" Periously close to an old paper size .. The iFoolsCap (Oops wrong capitalisation)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flying fucks given;

O

1. JonP
      Trollface

Re: Flying fucks given;

"O"? so that's 24 flying fucks then?!

2. Handy Plough

Re: Flying fucks given;

Cool story bro'.

5. ratfox

Would they really want to?

Apple normally tends to focus on a smaller number of products. It's only last year that they started to introduce two new phone models per year.

Considering large tablets are not really selling well, I would skip building an even larger one.

6. mrfill

Innovate

Perhaps they should be integrating things a bit more and knock out a 27in retina screen iPad, or one with an attached keyboard so you can use it while resting on your lap. Now what could they call that? An iLaptop?

7. Daniel Hall
    Coat

ahh

Sounds like an iDevice worshipper isnt happy about having to wait for a larger iPAD so decides to write an article about it to help me waste my lunch hour!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Getting it right

"Your comedy I’ve read, my friend,

And like the half you pilfered best;

But sure the piece you yet may mend;

Take courage, man, and steal the rest."

A 12.8" 4:3 panel, no thanks. Hope they are using the Surface Pro 3 for inspiration.

9. Frankee Llonnygog

I predict that in 2015

the office building occupied by KGI Research will be shat on by a giant purple gnome from space. Disclaimer: I an not an analyst, or so the Doctor tells me.

10. jof62

Landed on a Comet and pretty much DOA. The iPad wont be though

1. ItsNotMe
      WTF?

"Landed on a Comet and pretty much DOA. The iPad wont be though"

You mean the iPad that officially doesn't even exist yet?

How can something be DOA that hasn't been born? Must be a Lemming's dream.

2. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

@jof62

DOA? It's landed, it's sending data, and the thing has plenty of work it can do even if the 64 hour battery is all the power it gets.

So by any stretch of the imagination it has "A", and it is not "D", which leaves "O", and that's accurate: it is ON a comet.

11. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Decisions, decisions

A feat of scientific and engineering excellence, or an i{something}

I'll go for the former, thanks.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They keep pushing this prediction back

It is always wrong, and will continue to be wrong, but has taken on a life of its own. At least the fabled Apple television set has actually got a few mentions from Jobs and Cook. The larger iPad rumor originated from supply chain rumors almost three years ago!

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: They keep pushing this prediction back

A stopped clock is more accurate than an analyst's prediction

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like