back to article Microsoft to bring back beloved 1990s super-hit BATTLETOADS!?*

Microsoft has made a move that could signal the return of the beloved 1990s console classic Battletoads. The Xbox giant last week filed for a trademark on the name of the side-scrolling platform beat-em-up as a game software title. Microsoft has filed for the trademark with an intent to use, stating "the applicant has a bona …

1. ThomH

That hoverbike level!

Yes, you know the one. There are rumoured to be ten levels after it but nobody has ever seen them.

1. WraithCadmus
      Trollface

Re: That hoverbike level!

I Wanna Be The Guy is based off a ROMhack of those same levels.

2. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
      Facepalm

URGH!

I remember playing Battletoads on that level with another player, that damn level was impossible always either myself or a friend would get a jump wrong >_<

Still trying to get through it with the magic of emulators with internet connectivity with said person and still failing :(

3. NullReference Exception

Look at the bright side - by getting stuck at the Hoverbike Level, you were spared the pain of the Snake Pit Level, the Rat Race Level and the (buggy) Unicycle Level!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*not sure if serious*

3. wolfetone Silver badge

We miss you Rare

The worst thing ever to happen to the games industry was for Rare to accept Microsoft's buy out. They used to make amazing games, especially for Nintendo. Now where are they? I'm not even sure if they're still about.

F**k you Microsoft! F**k you right in the ear!

1. Shrimpling

Re: We miss you Rare

If Microsoft didn't buy them we wouldn't have got Viva Pinata.

1. AbelSoul

Re: If Microsoft didn't buy them we wouldn't have got Viva Pinata.

That is the current free download if you have an Xbox 360 Live account.

Having never heard of it, I downloaded it, fired it up, stared at it's animated, cutesy weirdness for about five minutes then switched it off, utterly baffled.

I'm given to understand that there's a game in there somewhere?

1. returnmyjedi

Viva piñata is up there with my favourite games of the 2000s, a surprisingly deep and involved strategy game masquerading as a kid's garden simulator. The score and art design also showed that Rare could still produce stunning games as they frequently did in the N64 era. And then Microsoft decided their talents were best put to use churning out Kinect sports games and it all went horribly wrong.

1. AbelSoul

a surprisingly deep and involved strategy game masquerading as a kid's garden simulator.

In that case I may well give it another look.

OTOH, so many games, so little time....

2. SolidSquid

Got to be honest, I *did* like Viva Pinata but got bored after realising that money across multiple gardens was pooled and learning how to grow larger crops. A half hour growing giant pumpkins and I didn't really have any money worries at all

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nintendo rule:

"If you can't make it long, make it HARD."

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: Nintendo rule:

Said the actress to the bishop.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Nintendo rule:

Viva Pinata? Really?

How in the name of hell is Viva Pinata even a comparison to Goldeneye? Perfect Dark? Banjo Kazooie? CONKER'S BAD FUR DAY!!!!

5. ADJB

Being as even Microsoft have now admitted that gamers (and to be fair, everybody's) interest in kinnect is zero or slightly less they might actually allow Rare to start producing good games again. Shame that all the talent got that fed up of overbearing management that they left so now the company is just a shell of the company it once was.

6. Nya
    Pint

Spaceship Vulture!!!

LOHAN get's an appearance in the remake! With huge royalties to the local vultures who then share the wealth buying us lot all a round :D

7. H.I.T.S
    Windows

Back in the mists of time

Rare have an even better heritage going back even further. Those of us of the older persuasion well remember Ultimate Play The Game, who became Rare. Now, they were ground breaking. You weren't supposed to do 3D ( of sorts ) with 48k !

Minecraft is doomed!

1. breakfast Silver badge

Re: Back in the mists of time

Minecraft is doomed because of a future Battletoads or Minecraft is doomed because Microsoft are going to do the same thing to Mojang that they did to Rare?

8. breakfast Silver badge

Talk of spawning sequels has rarely been more apt.

9. scarshapedstar
    Trollface

It's already been out on the Wii for years...

10. Fungus Bob
    Paris Hilton

Forget Battletoads

Bring back Jill of the Jungle!

Paris 'cause she's blond too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like