back to article That 'tech-free' Nophone? It was already out years ago

A “tech free” phone has raised over $18,000 on Kickstarter. The electronics-free "NoPhone" provides “a rectangle of smooth, cold plastic to clutch without forgoing any potential engagement with your direct environment” – according to its makers. The NoPhone Backers receive a 3D-printed model of the dummy, which is itself a …

1. Andy Non Silver badge
    Alert

Why would anyone want one or invest in such a thing?

Baffled.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why would anyone want one or invest in such a thing?

For the same reason you would want a USB pet rock

2. Captain Scarlet
      Coffee/keyboard

Come on, you must someone who has to be "different".

This is the perfect device for them and means they don't have to dye their hair a silly colour.

1. dan1980

@Captain Scarlet

"This is the perfect device for them and means they don't have to dye their hair a silly colour."

Or you could do what I did which was to stop dyeing your hair silly awesome colours.

Ahh - nothing like stopping doing something you like because other people are now doing the same thing. Little else fills a souls with quite as much self-righteous bitterness. (I'm serious - I really did have weird hair, I really did stop because it was becoming too common and I really am bitter about it. Nose, meet knife.)

3. DrXym

Because it's hip and ironic. Or something.

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: Because it's hip

... and on that subject ...

The hipster effect: When anticonformists all look the same.

http://arXiv.org/abs/1410.8001

Jonathan Touboul

In such different domains as statistical physics and spin glasses, neurosciences, social science, economics and finance, large ensemble of interacting individuals taking their decisions either in accordance (mainstream) or against (hipsters) the majority are ubiquitous. Yet, trying hard to be different often ends up in hipsters consistently taking the same decisions, [...]

4. Ketlan
      WTF?

'Baffled'

You're not the only one.

1. Simon Harris

I'd want one...

... but only if it was made of chocolate.

5. dan1980

@Andy

For the same reason they buy books called 'What men know about xxxx' that are completely blank.

It's - at least for the person buying it - humorous and ironic and many of them think it will make a good Christmas present. (They're wrong, but that's beside the point.)

Of course, this could have been offered as a 3D printed gimmick on one of the standard websites but putting something silly on Kickstarter tends to get you a bit more press and thus more success.

6. Captain DaFt

Isn't it obvious? Hold this to your ear and walk around talking to your invisible friends, and nobody thinks you're crazy!

(With apologies to Gahan Wilson)

1. dan1980

@Captain DaFt

If that's all I need to do to convince people I'm not crazy then $12 is a bargain. Or at least it would be if I hadn't given in years ago.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Isn't it obvious? Hold this to your ear and walk around talking to your invisible friends, and nobody thinks you're crazy!

Isn't that called "Care in the community"?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

John's phone.

What about this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/worlds-unlocked-mobile-phone-frills/dp/B004D3OFQK

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Joke

Re: John's phone.

Don't be silly, that one seems to work!

3. Disko

No rings or beeps..

And no screen to scratch...finger size does not matter, nor does any level of aptitude... I can see a potential market, for example marketeers could use these to never ever call us again.

4. Disko

No rings, no beeps...

No screen to scratch, finger size and aptitude are irrelevant...I can see a potential market for these, for example marketeers could use these to never ever call me again.

5. Carbon life unit 5,232,556

How is this a thing?

Jus buy a banana, when you get bored with it it becomes a handy snack. The upgrades are also cheap. Or there's the apple alternative, Granny Smith or Pink lady f'instance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How is this a thing?

Today's lesson. How to defend yourself against a man armed with a banana.

Call him on his mobile.

2. Simon Harris
      Happy

Re: How is this a thing?

"My blackberry is not working"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIaXSBSQ0W0

1. imanidiot Silver badge
  6. Buzzword

XKCD

Mandatory XKCD reference: http://xkcd.com/1363/

Seriously, what is it with everyone and their dog thinking they can make a better phone than Samsung/Apple, despite having (usually) no prior experience, no team of engineers, and nothing but wishful thinking?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: XKCD

That XKCD also has one of Randall's best mouseover-text comments.

Seriously, what is it with everyone and their dog thinking they can make a better phone than Samsung/Apple, despite having (usually) no prior experience, no team of engineers, and nothing but wishful thinking?

Perhaps the fact that "better" is subjective? I like my cheap LG slider a lot more than anything from Apple, or anything I've seen from Samsung. It'd be a sad day if they were the only two firms producing phones.

7. Archaon

Rounded Corners

Stuckist won't have a chance - Apple will be after them first. It's a black rectangle with rounded corners, after all.

8. Frankee Llonnygog

Somehow

The networks will still find a way to charge you £2000 if your Nophone gets nicked when you're on holiday abroad

9. Christian Berger

Logical consequence of current developments

I mean mobile phones become more and more useless. Devices like the Nokia Communicator used to be tools designed to be used for productive work. Modern "smart"-phones are more and more becoming ad display devices with tracking features.

If we extrapolate current trends, this is what we'll end up in 10 years. Of course it'll be shiny and have some brand fetish around it.

10. spacecadet66

It doesn't seem like that outrageous an idea that two people could arrive at this idea independently.

11. Osgard Leach
    Thumb Up

Sure, ye ney sayers, all radical tech seems strange at first, but if history's any guide in five years we'll all be wondering how we ever got along without one.

Personally I''ll be keeping a weather eye on it, letting the front end users iron out any kinks before I take the plunge.

12. DJSpuddyLizard

Ummm. I'ts not Tech-Free, it's made from modern plastic. A "Tech-Free" phone would be a shrubbery.

1. Captain DaFt

A "Tech-Free" phone would be a shrubbery.

NI!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like