back to article Met Office: 2014 was fifteenth warmest on record

The UK experienced its fifteenth hottest summer since 1910 this year, according to the latest Met Office figures, with the raging heat unsurpassed except in the years 1911, 1947, 1955 and eleven other years over the past century. "People are not adapting their homes, particularly in cities, to make them cooler. For vulnerable …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"People are not adapting their homes, particularly in cities, to make them cooler. For vulnerable people, such as the elderly, that might be a matter of life and death," ...

Maybe I'm being a bit dim here but the UK , like many countries at our latitude, tends to veers quite dramatically throughout the year in terms of temperature. We're all told to wrap up, insulate and generally stop the heat from escaping else we'll turn up the gas and kill more polar bears. Tell what I'm supposed to do then for Summer? Strip out the cavity insulation, knock a bloody great hole in the wall, get bigger windows that open wider, install an air-con unit which will use shed loads of leccy and kill more penguins and polar bears?

1. eclairz
      Boffin

Insulation will keep the heat out in summer and keep the heat in during winter. Insulation is just to slow down the energy transfer, why fried ice cream works is the insulation from the crust.

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

"...Insulation will keep the heat out in summer and keep the heat in during winter...

But...but... how does it KNOW?

2. cray74

"We're all told to wrap up, insulate and generally stop the heat from escaping else we'll turn up the gas and kill more polar bears. Tell what I'm supposed to do then for Summer? Strip out the cavity insulation, knock a bloody great hole in the wall, get bigger windows that open wider, install an air-con unit which will use shed loads of leccy and kill more penguins and polar bears?"

No, pile on more insulation so you can use a smaller air conditioner and conserve electricity. Insulation works both ways - it doesn't care if it's stopping heat from escaping or blocking joules from slipping over the border into the house.

The typical housing design advice in the US South is as follows:

1) Moar insulation

2) Double-paned (double glazed?) windows. If you're feeling like an early adopter, try low emissivity, UV-blocking windows.

3) No, you don't want bigger windows and doors (though large windows and single-paned sliding glass doors are common in the US South.) Of course, Britain's summer air is usually about the same temperature that the US South hopes to achieve through air conditioning, so you'd want that stuff flowing through big holes in your walls. Maybe you should ignore this point.

4) Control drafts - spray-foam insulation is preferable to fiberglass batting because it prevents air movement in the walls and into the attic. (Spray foam insulation is also more flammable, so you have a ready supply of fuel for your fireplace the next winter.) Check your doors and see if they have any significant gaps that can be sealed with a strip of insulation.

A well-insulated house is a lot cheaper to air condition than a poorly insulated house. My summer electrical bills dropped in half moving from a home made in the 1970s to one made in the 1990s.

1. Tom 7

@cray74

ISTR the best thing about the south was verandas. Pre-aircon they had some useful ideas. Not easy to do in a dense city but then Dallas is heated by air conditioning in summer to about the point where if everyone turned off their aircon they'd be about the same! OK theres a heat island effect but Dallas is often 15 degrees warmer than the nearby countryside which is bloody hard work for an aircon.

The best thing to do with heat is to get used to it if you can - number of Caribbean holidays I've been on where the yanks are stuck in their hotels while the rest of us are having fun!

1. cray74

Re: @cray74

"ISTR the best thing about the south was verandas."

Verandas were nice for people who could stand the heat and humidity, but it's interesting to study the demographic and economic history of the US South in relation to air conditioning proliferation. Florida's population really took off as air conditioning became widespread, and prior to the widespread availability of air conditioning South economic output tended to flag in summer months. (Getting rid of endemic malaria helped, too.)

"number of Caribbean holidays I've been on where the yanks are stuck in their hotels while the rest of us are having fun!"

On the other hand, British diplomatic workers assigned to Washington, DC, prior to easy air conditioning availability received tropical posting pay bonuses. Or so I've heard.

The Caribbean is also imperfectly representative of US conditions. Many - not all - islands catch the trade winds in the area for a perpetual breeze and have their temperatures moderated by the Atlantic. (Which does mean those Yanks you saw huddling in the hotel rooms were that much wimpier.) Georgia and the Carolinas are continental environments away from oceanic and trade winds moderation (except their coasts), while the Gulf Coast of the US sits on the steaming, breezeless bath tub that is the northern Gulf of Mexico. Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. tend to be steamy and verandas only go so far.

Between April and early October, local conditions run about 35C and 70 to 95% humidity with little wind. Even at night I didn't run to my porch. By 3am most of this summer, the temperature would plummet all the way to 27 to 30C, humidity would climb, and the breeze would still be hiding in the Caribbean. It was like sitting in a mild sauna with extra mosquitos. It's not bad if you're a tourist or someone else who can jump in a pool, but it ain't fun otherwise.

1. P. Lee

Re: @cray74

Porches aren't just about sitting outside. They dramatically reduce the warming of the building by the sun in the heat of the day, while allowing pleasant light in during the early morning and evening.

2. Triggerfish

Re: @Tom7

Depends in the countryside or on an island with some breezes verandas are lovely, I've virtually lived on them in more tropical climes, even the kitchen was open air. In a city though with no breezes, pollution and temperatures getting into upper 30C or so it can be unrelenting.

3. TheVogon

"Met Office: 2014 was FIFTEENTH WARMEST UK SUMMER on record"

Right - so what? Hardly notable. Surely the fact that GLOBALLY we have just had the WARMEST 12 consecutive MONTHS SINCE RECORDS BEGAN in 1880 is of somewhat more interest?

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2014/9

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@TheVogon

I imagine some of the cherry pickers on our local building site were designed in part by Cambridge engineering graduates.

Choosing one small island as evidence that it wasn't a particularly hot summer...selective small red fruit acquisition.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

""Met Office: 2014 was FIFTEENTH WARMEST UK SUMMER on record"

Right - so what? Hardly notable. "

The author used a form of humour known as sarcasm.

2. Indolent Wretch

"This is based on Mr Ward's calculation that the period January-September is the warmest such period in the Met Office record: it would be equally valid to write "2014 could be coldest on record, says man" or similar."

It would not be equally valid would it.

That's just weasel words.

I guess you'll make us wait just on the off chance that that the final hour of December the 31st sees temperatures plummet to 1 degree Kelvin.

But that isn't very likely is it.

It speaks volumes when the Register is criticizing another publications article because the HEADLINE isn't a totally accurate portrayal of all the facts.

1. Gordon 10
      FAIL

Fail.

Mr Ward is an opportunist shill and you are defending him why?

And I hardly think headlines chosen generally on El Reg for their humour value rather than their accuracy are comparable in the same category as some PR flaks.

Indolent by name and indolent by comment perchance?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Fail.

I can not say whether Mr. Ward is opportunistic or not and no idea what a shill is. But this does not make him wrong. Lewis is consistently missing the point and one-eyed. Of course, that does not necessarily make him wrong either, nor right.

However, having been alive a bit longer, I suspect, than Lewis and having studied and worked in biological sciences as well as informatics, I am more persuaded by the science and the evidence than I am by obsessive denial.

2. TheOtherHobbes

Meanwhile in the real world:

Summer 2014 Warmest On Record, NOAA Says

Nice try, Lewis. A shame climate boffins understand the world doesn't stop at Blighty's borders, eh?

As you were. You can go back to eating your crayons now.

1. tfewster
        FAIL

Bob Ward...Grantham...London...NHS...Britons...UK...

Yes, Mr Ward is talking about the UK. So Lewis is quite right to respond in that context.

Nice article from the NOAA, by the way. Record lows, eh? Cool!

2. Tom 13

My winter heating bill and summer electric bills say otherwise.

3. Fluffy Bunny
      Thumb Down

A very similar claim has recently been made about Australia's temperature. Unfortunately, if you check the facts, it turns out to be false (not incorrect, slightly exagerated, or similar) - just another fraudulent claim by the CAGW rent seekers. But did you expect anything honorable when yet another climate sumit is just around the corner?

3. Gordon 10
    WTF?

Name me one English summer

Where the solution to it being hot has necessitated more than opening the windows (old people still have windows right), and/or cavorting nekkid.

How many 30c plus days did we get this year? Not many I can recall. There were a lot of high-middling 20's warm days which obviously pushes the average up but it wasn't a scorcher of a summer imo.

What an opportunist twat of the highest order.

1. Billy 8

Re: Name me one English summer

What are these "high-middling 20's" days you speak of?

</scotland> :-/

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

What are these "high-middling 20's" days you speak of?

Fahrenheit.

2. HipposRule

@Billy8

Ditto Somerset - low to mid 20s

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

has to be said - barely had a single uncomfortable day this year or last. Bar a few "air conditioned" trains where the aircon didn't work and the windows are locked (read all air conditioned trains) - or trains that were delayed 2 hours and half the length they're supposed to be with everyone standing cock to arse crack for another half hour with rivers of sweat streaming from every pour in the body before it even moves.So other then that - a nice completely uninteresting summer.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The need for cooler housing may be exaggerated. But in a country that had average Summer temperatures rather nearer to, even below 20 degrees, an mean or, better, a median of mid-twenties is a bad enough increase and is reflected in animal and plant distributions as well as in figures more complex than most here can understand.

I^m baffled that all these super dooper business types are so determined to hang on to oil, gas and coal and the nineteenth century represented by them rather than see the extraordinary opportunities to develop and exploit new technology. I note a recent article (sorry, no reference) about electricity in Britain: for the first time wind power generated more than nuclear, about 20% if I recall correctly. This was partly because of powerstation accidents and renovation work. But nevertheless, wind power is signficant and the brighter business people should be working on making storage solutions that could earn them a pretty penny rather than expensive filters and impossibly long nuclear detritus storage times that presuppose stable regimes for hundreds of years, the like of which the world has not yet seen.

It suprises and disappoints me that the readers of this site, who I suppose imagine themselves to be modern, educated and technical, are just as blinkered, conservative and change-resistant.

1. JohnMurray

http://bravenewclimate.com/2014/08/22/catch-22-of-energy-storage/

2. Nial

AC wrote:

"people should be working on making storage solutions that could earn them a pretty penny"

"It suprises and disappoints me that the readers of this site, who I suppose imagine themselves to be modern, educated and technical"

It surprises and disappoints _me_ that someone who imagines themselves to be modern, educated and technical doesn't realise that the reason this isn't being done is that it's an impossible task.

In September wind produced almost _zero_ output for 22 days....http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Wind requires 100% conventional backup to be available nearly 24/7 and _doesn't_ reduce CO2 emissions (if you think that's important). The only people who benefit from wind are windfarm (subsidy farm) owners and landowners.

3. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

...for the first time wind power generated more than nuclear, about 20% if I recall correctly..

Er, yes. The Grid is forced by law to take as much energy as the wind farms can put out. So, when demand is very low and the wind is high, all other generators have to turn their power down and wind gets to produce a high percentage of the total. For a few hours. When we don't necessarily need it....

..and the brighter business people should be working on making storage solutions..

Not me! I'm working on producing Unicorn Dust to make the world a nicer fluffier place...

You betray your authoritarian attitudes when you suggest that people 'ought to' be making something beyond the current state of technology so that your dreams can be achieved.

4. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Devil

I am not sure of the answer...

but I think I need to fire up my cars V8 and think about.

(This would be funny, if I didn't have a V8 in my car...)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I am not sure of the answer...

"(This would be funny, if I didn't have a V8 in my car...)"

Still don't think it would be funny.

2. Tom 7

I've got 12 V8's in my car - got given them by a friend and they will go OK with my vodka and some leaandperrins.

3. fruitoftheloon

LvH,

is that a strange form of heating in your neck of the woods???

J

5. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

Opening windows when hot?

No!

If it's really hot you open windows and blinds at night.

During the day it's cooler to keep the windows closed and blinds closed to reflect the sun. Even better are exterior shutters during the day.

Ask anyone that lives in Middle East, deserts, hot bits of Europe etc.

Indeed that kind of Cherry picking is daft.

1. pPPPP

Re: Opening windows when hot?

Agree completely. I live in an Edwardian terrace, and it amazes me that so many people in the street open all of their windows and doors when there's a warm sunny Summer morning. Apart from getting a house full of insects, they get a house full of heat all day.

Most of the time all you need to do is open some downstairs windows and some at the top of the house, for half an hour or so after the sun goes down.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you have heat sources inside the house (computers?) you might still find it better to open the windows during the day, even in hot weather.

In general, just check whether its warmer inside or outside the window and let that be your guide.

3. Elmer Phud

I open selective windows to increase draughts through the house.Standard Victorian house that is hot in summer and cold and breezy in the winter.

Has to be altered throughout the day, though, to compensate as the sun goes round (appears to move, yeah yeah)

6. flearider

all I can say it love it while it lasts the heat that is .. because after 2017 and for the next 35yrs+ it's going to get cold .. think 1970 eng or to be precise 1645 to 1715

is anyone rdy for it .. the uk power industry isn't the uk gov have there heads in the sand me... back up genny check ..2 months supplies check..

lot's of warm clothes ..check

if I make it to 85 what a story .lol

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So you think the Gulf Stream is going to get redirected or shut down by changes in oceanic heat?

Could happen, but I really, really, hope it doesn't. Though with the ongoing warming of the climate, I suppose any trans-European ice sheets wouldn't last that long anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

what language is that?

Does that cryptic writing reflect the quality of your thinking?

7. Malcolm 1

wtf is Palaeopiezometry?

A google search only produces results about the "failed palaeopiezometrist Bob Ward"!

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: wtf is Palaeopiezometry?

paleo - "ancient", from the Greek

piezo - "press or squeeze", also from Greek

metry - "measurement". Greek too.

So, he never completed a PhD in measuring old Greek squeezes? WTF indeed.

1. Elmer Phud

"So, he never completed a PhD in measuring old Greek squeezes? WTF indeed."

It might have something to do with buying dodgy kebabs.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: wtf is Palaeopiezometry? -old Greek squeezes

Arianna Huffington née Stassinopoulos probably didn't stand still long enough to be measured.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

5th google.com link for me with a search on Palaeopiezometry.

"Palaeopiezometry is the determination of past stress fields, which can provide major constraints on tectonic models."

Didn't even have to go to the page.

On the article, I get hating sensationalism (although I'd think that anyone hating sensationalism wouldn't be a journalist), but at the same time, if you've recorded over 100 years of weather and your current year is 11th/17th on record, it's not exactly a reason to say it's obviously wrong.

1. StephenH

How did you go with "bonzodoodaology" ? Can't wait for that one to be published

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The science of quantifying fast food deliveries that arrive late.

8. codejunky Silver badge

Nice to have you back Lewis

But of course the facts wont change anything. We are doomed! DOOMED I tell you! Because the gods demand it! But we can all be saved! We can build monuments to the sky that will turn if the god is happy and it will provide power. But make him mad and the monuments will be still and you will freeze to death (you will also freeze if you cant afford the insane energy cost too but you must be a sinner).

It is nice to see lewis posting again. We have needed some balance to the climate debate, and of course some facts.

1. joeW

Re: We have needed some balance...and of course some facts.

Indeed. Do let us know when they arrive.

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: We have needed some balance...and of course some facts.

@ joeW

"Indeed. Do let us know when they arrive."

They are here! In the article related to this comment section! But you will need to read instead of having the texts read to you. This isnt sunday school, this is science

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For me it was an expensive summer

I changed all my P4 Prescotts to Atoms.

10. TheMole

Weather ?

A handful of wet/dry/hot/cold/windy/calm weeks/months/seasons/years on one minor island are surely indicative of the weather, not the climate..

However, unlike Bob Ward, I am not an expert in rocks.....

1. nijam Silver badge

Re: Weather ?

Actually, there is no real distinction, climate is just weather with the details removed. Which might leave you asking whether climate is a real thing at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Weather ?

Weather is something that happens over your lifetime. Climate is something that happens over the lifetime of your species.

11. arctic_haze
    FAIL

This summer was globally the warmest on record

I have a question to the article author:

Which part of "global" in global warming don't you understand?

Re: This summer was globally the warmest on record

@ arctic_haze

I know your trying to make a point but doesnt the title mention the UK? I.e "Met Office: 2014 was FIFTEENTH WARMEST UK SUMMER on record". And this article focusing on the UK and the very wrong statement implying something which is demonstrably untrue?

1. NomNomNom

"And this article focusing on the UK and the very wrong statement implying something which is demonstrably untrue"

Bob Ward is absolutely correct in his assessment. It's this article that is wrong. Perhaps you forget the heatwave at the end of July? Well this article averaged it out with the cool August to make in vanish.

The fact is the year to date in the UK is the warmest on record. Above average temperatures have persisted for the majority of the year. The climate normal in the UK is rising as the globe warms.

Central England Temperature requires the rest of the year to average just +0.6C above average to break a new record. All but one month this year has been above +1C and November is already so far +1.4C above average.

The absurd assertion in the article that we could just as easily see the coldest year on record requires November and December to be 25 degrees C colder than average.

Such straws to cling on just to deny the country, and the world is warming.

2. Thought About IT

"I have a question to the article author: Which part of "global" in global warming don't you understand?"

Indeed! Lewis is a past master at cherry picking climate data to suit his agenda.

@ Thought About IT

"Indeed! Lewis is a past master at cherry picking climate data to suit his agenda."

You may have missed my previous post so here goes- this article concerns the claims of the UK warmest summer. The clue is in the distinct name UK which is not the world. So lewis is correct to point out the mistakes of such a claim about the UK by replying about the UK. And you are agreeing with someone who either thinks the UK is the world or didnt read the article.

It seems it is you who is cherry picking data to suit your agenda.

1. Thought About IT

codejunky, you'll never see an article by Lewis reporting on the overwhelming evidence that global warming is due to our emissions of greenhouse gases, because that doesn't suit the agenda of him and his mates at the GWPF. His choice to write about the British summer, in the context of global warming, is cherry picking!

@ Thought About IT

"you'll never see an article by Lewis reporting on the overwhelming evidence that global warming is due to our emissions of greenhouse gases,"

Very true. If I want to read that I will go to most mainstream media who will happily report that bias. The overwhelming evidence is still so obscure that reliable information over what is and isnt happening or even what is and isnt natural are still undefined and uncertain. So while the religion pushes that the doomsday is coming I appreciate people like lewis holding them to account and presenting the evidence ignored by the religion. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle but the stifling of science by political bull makes climate science constantly look tainted which is bad for anyone interested in science.

"His choice to write about the British summer, in the context of global warming, is cherry picking!"

In his article I find no instance of global warming and climate change is only mentioned in the title of bob ward making the comments. Instead the article centres on Bob who made claims of the UK/britain which lewis is ripping to pieces for being wrong, misleading and cherry picked. In the terms of lying climate change front man has been caught out.

It looks to me as though you are adding the context and then challenging lewis on your context not his article. Which makes your comment about his agenda look like you are pushing your agenda. Especially when you seem to want him to post articles in agreement with your preconceived conclusion and dislike him poking holes when a priest makes false claims.

1. Thought About IT

@codejunky:

"In his article I find no instance of global warming and climate change is only mentioned in the title of bob ward making the comments"

Indeed, but his choice of topic is a dog whistle to those who deny climate change is due to our emissions of greenhouse gases. Do you know that the fossil fuel industries are spending $500,000 a day to obfuscate the truth? No? Well don't expect Lewis to report on it!

1. Fluffy Bunny
                Thumb Down

"Do you know that the fossil fuel industries are spending $500,000 a day to obfuscate the truth?"

That is thoroughly beaten by the warmists with their hands in the public pocket to the tune of $100,000,000,000 - and all we have gotten out of it are cherrypicked statistics and out-and-out fraud.

@ Fluffy Bunny

"all we have gotten out of it are cherrypicked statistics and out-and-out fraud."

Not true. They gave us artwork in the shape of a hockey stick graph. They inspired a number of amusingly bad films about the end of the world. And they have managed to organise a new world religion who will believe political groups were scientists even when they report the most unscientific tripe since the 'intelligent design' people.

2. codejunky Silver badge

@ Thought About IT

"but his choice of topic is a dog whistle to those who deny climate change is due to our emissions of greenhouse gases"

And here you are as if you hear the sound and come running, bounding even to argue that your climate priests are still right even though this article is about nothing more than highlighting extreme propaganda that you seem to be trying to justify (or obfuscate by changing the discussion to topics of your religion).

"Well don't expect Lewis to report on it!"

You may need to read my last comment to you about how that is widely available at any distributor of general media. However lewis provides the other half of the science which is not put forward by the religion pushers. Looking through all the science and highlighting very important lies as this article does ensures science and not politics/religion control the important decisions concerning our world. I would prefer fact over lies and I prefer science over religion. That is why I will not be agreeing with your absolute certainty of what we do not know and why I have no problem with the lies being exposed.

3. Roscomac

Arctic ice almost back to the normal levels recorded since 979.

Antarctic ice at record levels.

Northern hemisphere snow levels at record highs.

Sure sounds like the hottest year to me !

12. Vociferous

So The Reg still employs their resident denier?

Shame.

Even the republicans of the USA are starting to give up their opposition, but The Reg is still a stalwart denier rag.

EDIT: Haha, Lewis has forgotten to turn on auto-pending for all posts using bad words like "climate" or "denier".

13. G R Goslin

What heatwave?

I see no heatwave. Here in North Wales, we did have a short warm spell, it lasted less than a week. At that the temperature only twice reached 22 and that for only about an hour each side of midday

14. Mystic Megabyte
    Unhappy

daft regulations

In Scotland a new build house has to be pressure tested to ascertain if it is too leaky. You have to pay the Council £500 for this test. My neighbour's was found to be too airtight even though it has trickle vents on the windows and extractors fans in the kitchen and both bathrooms. So to get the house certified he has now got to replace the bathroom fans with continuously running fans.They cost £98 each! (They run continuously at 6 l/s and then increase to 15 l/s when the light is switched on)

So all the warm air from the air-source heat pump and underfloor heating will now be sucked out and wasted.

Don't they realise that people will just open the window if it feels stuffy?

Why bother specifying a massive amount of insulation in the walls etc. What a waste of energy!

1. fruitoftheloon

Re: daft regulations

Mm,

daft regs indeed, I assume that to comply with 'leccy regulations there is a mains isolating switch in the environs?

J.

2. Ilmarinen

Same in England. Barking mad.

Unfortunately this is what happens when the Politicos drink the Green Cool-Aid. Sound bite promises are made, these get translated into Acts of Parliament, (often via Directives) which get distilled into regulations and suddenly we notice that we are forced to live in air-tight homes, or can't buy proper light bulbs, or have our hard earned spaffed on wind power subsidies.

Tumbrels, tumbrels - where are the tumbrels?

3. Mark Jan
      Flame

You just need to go along with the idiots in the council - they're all the same, wherever you are in the country.

Once you have the certificate, change the fans back and flog the others on eBay.

Council idiots.

15. spacecadet66

"Met Office: 2014 was FIFTEENTH WARMEST UK SUMMER on record"

Of course, 99.95% of the world's surface area is covered with something other than the United Kingdom, so perhaps we should take a global, as it were, view.

16. IR

"with the raging heat unsurpassed except in the years 1911, 1947, 1955 and eleven other years over the past century"

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the eleven other years would show that your implication was wrong, or why would you stop there? Not sure how you are calculating the heat of the summer (mean temps of June-August would be my guess) or why you specifically cherry pick that rather than the annual rates, but here is what I got from the top 15 mean annual temperatures (not including this year since it hasn't ended yet):

1945 (15 hottest)

2006 hottest

17. Mark Jan
    Flame

Raw Data Anyone?

All the way back historical temperatures are just bollocks anyway. They can be made to be whatever the University of East Anglia (or any other organisation with a vested interest in keeping "climate change" alive and well) want them to be which is why the released temps are "adjusted" to allow for any bollocks the boffins decide. After all, releasing the raw data would reveal the true temps, but maybe that would be a bit inconvenient.

Keep up the good work Lewis!

1. NomNomNom

Re: Raw Data Anyone?

"After all, releasing the raw data would reveal the true temps"

Well go at it then because the raw data from the weather stations have always been available.

18. Anomalous Cowshed

speaking of degrees

I have a partly finished doctorate in crocodillography.

19. chivo243 Silver badge
    Facepalm

If we lived to be 1000

we would be laughing about how it was so cold 700 years ago, and how hot it was 300 years ago. And dude, do you remember how wet it was 600 years ago?

20. Fluffy Bunny
    Holmes

Which PHD thesis?

Lewis,

I like your "unfinished" PHD thesese, but perhaps you really meant "unstarted"

1. Richard 81

Re: Which PHD thesis?

The "unfinished PhD" should not even have been mentioned.

An unfinished PhD is no PhD at all. If you haven't had your viva, then your thesis hasn't been defended and it could be complete tripe.

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: should not even have been mentioned.

I tend to agree - one wonders at which institution, and when, and how far he got. That said, Brian May had an unfinished PhD thesis for some decades, but did finally get around to completing it.

I'm not sure what Bob Ward's "phd" story is -- and couldn't find it -- but IMO he'd be better served by a phrasing like: "He started a PhD in geophysics at the University of Somewhere, but gave it up when he realised he was more interested in science communication than palaeopiezometry" ... or some more accurate version along those lines.

2. Paul Kinsler

Re: Which PHD thesis?

IMO, To count as "unfinished" you really have at the very least to have been enrolled as a PhD student, and have actually written a substantial draft. Whether it should be mentioned or not is an interesting point for, discussion; perhaps it would be better to say instead that (eg) "was enrolled as a phd student but gave up after X years", which might give a better indication of the background in question.

21. david 63

Strange how people choose to holiday closer to the equator, and in summer too. Spending all that cash to go to unsustainably hot areas.

Don't understand it myself.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Last summer I avoided the 40+ degree heat in my home town by holidaying closer to a pole (not the sort used by certain types for dancing but the sort where the Earth's axis of rotation intersects its surface). It was a very pleasant holiday and the ambient temperatures were right in my comfort zone.

22. Tom 13

So it seems that like most warmists

the Met Office also has not learned the difference between weather and climate let alone science and theology.

23. Roscomac

There are hundreds of ex Brits living here on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland Australia.

Our average temperature is already 7 degrees above the so-called average world temperature of 14 degrees C.

None of the migrated Brits I know appear to be dying from heat stress despite the maximum temperatures here approaching a record for the UK from basically 6 months of the year.

None of the migrated Brits I know have any intention of going home.

The article lampooned by Lewis is simply more scaremongering over Government's desperately seeking new revenue streams.

24. --. --- -..

Got a right bee in their bonnet about AGW round here haven't they ? Just relax and accept it, Reg, it's getting warmer like they say.

This topic is closed for new posts.