back to article How's the great dot-thing gold rush going? Well, coffee.club just sold for $100,000

The domain name coffee.club has been sold for $100,000 (£62,600), marking a growing acceptance – and value – in the market for new top-level domains. In a novel move, the coffee.club owner will also pay the domain's registry operator through an installment plan: 10 percent each year for the next decade, with no interest. "It …

1. Ole Juul

dot boring

Like a lot of people, I generally just use Google instead of typing a whole address. That gets me even faster to any number of easy to recognize names whose dot whatevers aren't really of interest to me anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: dot boom

and good luck getting regular payments out of a dotcom company over a decade.

Almost certainly going to be bust by this time next year (or however long it takes for VC funds to run dry)

2. FartingHippo
    Coat

How much for seal.club?

Just askin'.

1. baby harp seal club
      Devil

Re: How much for seal.club?

Actually I registered

babyharpseal.club

(and created a reg account after 14 years to post the fact)

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Happy

I'd like to register: ifyoulikealotofchocolateonyourbiscuitjoinour.club

Is that available?

We've just had the email through offering us .xyz, from our usual registrar. At least they seem to be charging normal prices - altough I'm not interested.

But I'm confused by the other new gTLDs. They're all charging silly money, like £30 a year, some even more. And yet all they're offering me is dot.crap. I can get a dot.com for a quarter of what they're charging.

4. frank ly

If I can afford it, I must be?

"At the other end is dot-rich "the world's most exclusive address" where all domains start from $2,500. "

That is totally nouveaux.rich and laughable.

1. Cliff

Re: If I can afford it, I must be?

Aren't all domains, by definition, unique hence exclusive?

2. Williamjack

Re: If I can afford it, I must be?

Not at all. Even you can find dot-rich domain in only 9$. But the main thing is buying a brand domain like golvela.com is a brand now if you will buy these types of domains so it will definitely be expensive.

5. Tim 11

algorithm for naming your new product or business

1. think of a catchy name which sounds unique

2. check whether <catchyname>.com and <catchyname>.co.uk etc are still available

3. if not, repeat step 1

4. register all the <catchyname> domains you want for $10 (or less) each

1. tmTM

Re: algorithm for naming your new product or business

furryballsploppledmenacingly.................

Wait that one's been done.

6. Tom 38

.london broke our intranet (sort of)

We use levels in our hostnames to indicate location, eg foo.london.wibble.com is in the London DC. Our previous DNS config was search wibble.com, so that you could type ssh foo.london to go to foo.london.wibble.com.

When .london went active, this broke all these short host lookups. We had to change our DNS config to search london.wibble.com newyork.wibble.com (+8 others) wibble.com, which means 8 DNS requests instead of 1, and change everything everywhere to use either FQDN or very short names, and remove any duplicated host names across sites.

I still don't see the purpose of them. It's never going to be 'transport.gov.london' or 'tower.london' is it?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Golf.club

Cricket.club, Nudist.club, Football.club, Chess.club, Old Etonian.club, Gentlemans.club, Photo.club, Model Railway.club, Trainspotting.club, Night.club, Computer.club.

1. T. F. M. Reader

Re: Golf.club

Cricket.club, Nudist.club, Football.club, Chess.club, Old Etonian.club, Gentlemans.club, Photo.club, Model Railway.club, Trainspotting.club, Night.club, Computer.club.

You forgot Fight.club. Oh, wait, you can't talk abut it, can you?

1. Cliff

Re: Golf.club

TFMR - That made me smile on an otherwise bland Wednesday morning, thank you :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like