back to article Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game: Glimpses of Turing's life, but that's all ...

It’s never easy to portray the life of a genius on film. Although their achievements and abilities might fascinate us, there’s not a lot of visual appeal in watching someone being good at maths, or painting really well or endlessly practising music. To make a good biopic of genius, it helps if your subject also led an eventful …

1. Frankee Llonnygog
    FAIL

Is the movie still the scene where ...

... He gets Colossus to run Tetris?

Just checked the full cast list. No Tommy Flowers

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: Is the movie still the scene where ...

No, this is a British film and Tommy Flowers lived in Boise, Idaho. (c.f. U571)

2. Inquisitive

A genius amongst many geniuses.

I'm looking forward to this film having just finished the book about Bletchley Park, The Secrets Of Station X, a fascinating read. Without doubt Turing was an exceptional person with immense brain power but he was surrounded by other very able people who together made a formidable team. People like Dilly Knox, Gordon Welchman, Tommy Flowers, Bill Tute, John Tiltman, Max Newman, and many others who worked tirelessly to break these codes. But the book, whilst paying tribute to these brilliant people, also highlight the immense contribution made by the many women working at Bletchley at the time. They were the ones that had the gruelling task of sorting through all this mass of intelligence, logging it, putting the messages in legible ways and then not being able to be mentioned at the end of the war for all their efforts.

And of course it wasn't just the German Enigma that was being broken, the Japanese codes were also being broken and messages read and at this point the American's were very interested. They eventually got involved and even they were amazed at the organisational set up and after the war heaped praise on the help and co-operation they got but of course this too was kept fairly quiet from the outside world. If the film is anywhere as good as the book then I shall be pleased but as to whether the film sticks to the facts as known or just concentrate on other none existent aspects and embellish the story somewhat I will have to wait and see.

1. fnj

Re: A genius amongst many geniuses.

The breaking of the Lorenz teletype cipher due to the genius of Bill Tutte and others, notably Tommy Flowers' Collossus, as well as being the single greatest intellectual feat of the war, was a greater boon than breaking Enigma. The Lorenz network carried the very highest level commands. Enigma carried a lot of mundane drudgework.

3. jason 7

So when do we get the Turing movie we all really want...

...you know the historically and technically accurate one which covers in details Flowers/Turing et al working on cracking the codes and developing the wonderful machines?

Leave the emotional Oscar nomination stuff out and get to the technical details of how they did it.

Enigma ain't it and this new film, if it doesn't mention Flowers isn't it either.

1. Gordon 10

Re: So when do we get the Turing movie we all really want...

I suspect its only you that wants it. Sounds like it would make dreadful drama.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

To paraphrase what Gordon 10 said, it's a film, not a documentary.

1. jason 7

No I mean something along the lines of what they did with the story of DNA -

Life Story or The Race for the Double Helix.

With Jeff Goldblum and Tim Pigott-Smith.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093815/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_69

4. i like crisps
    Trollface

Cucumber, pushing the edge of his acting envelope.

How on Earth will he manage to pull off an authentic posh boy accent?

Work those Vow-Ells baby, WORK THEM!!!

5. Pypes
    Coat

Still no mention of the extremely high quality reproduction wallpaper, hand crafted by artisan printers on a genuine 1930's wide-format inkjet.

I am disappointed at this oversight.

6. The last doughnut
    Meh

- sigh -

Why do so many modern films have no-name directors?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well I enjoyed bits of it

Whilst annoyed by some of the preposterous scenes in the film I enjoyed the bit when their bombe finally worked (I nearly cheered in the cinema) and my wife and I (Both techies) cried at Turing's fiance's speech when he came out to her

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon