back to article Not a loyal follower of @BritishMonarchy? You missed The QUEEN*'s first Tweet

Here it is: It is a pleasure to open the Information Age exhibition today at the @ScienceMuseum and I hope people will enjoy visiting. Elizabeth R. — BritishMonarchy (@BritishMonarchy) October 24, 2014 There's intense debate in some quarters as to whether Her Majesty pressed the button herself or not, with the Tweet …

1. Slacker@work
    Coat

That's useful...

She's gone for a non-specific handle so Charlie or Wills can take it over as and when. Mind you, you'd have to make sure that "Phil the Greek" is blocked from using it.

2. patrick_bateman

Basic mistake

with the Tweet apparently sent from an **iPhone** as the Queen pressed an ungloved finger to the royal **iPad**.

**iPad and iPhone are 2 diffrent devices...

1. AbelSoul
      Headmaster

Re: Basic mistake

> **iPad and iPhone are 2 diffrent devices...

Yes, and I thought that was exactly the point being made in the article?

1. sjaddy

Surely the point is that there was some confusion as to whether she sent the Tweet?

-the tweet came from an iphone

-The Queen pressed send on an ipad

was it just me who thought that was clear?

1. Stuart 22

-the tweet came from an iphone

-The Queen pressed send on an ipad

Not a problem when one has divine providence. Something Steve forgot to patent.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

That is exactly the point.

The photographs / video show Her Majesty fondling the Royal Fondleslab, but the tweet actually came form a Jesus phone.

3. Semtex451
    Happy

By Jingo

That Bootnote, nice touch Sir.

4. Ralph the Wonder Llama
    Meh

Surely not iPhone...

...but wePhone.

1. EddieD

Re: Surely not iPhone...

Nah, the 1Phone

5. Frankee Llonnygog

Is that really her first tweet?

So who's been tweeting all that stuff about corgis as @DirtyBrenda?

6. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Who said the Royals don't keep up?

It's only been 30 years since she sent her first email. I wonder if she txts the gr&kids?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

21st century

Wow, they've finally caught up with the 21st century.

Next thing you know, we'll be having democratic elections and a written constitution.

1. Jonathan Richards 1

Not as backward as you think. Re: 21st century

The late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother had a Lockheed Dialog account way back in 1986-7. I bet she hardly ever logged in, though.

If Dialog means nothing to you, or maybe especially if it does, this youtube video created from a 1968 film is a gem.

2. Peter2 Silver badge

Re: 21st century

We have a written constitution, unless your suggesting that the laws dating back the last 800 or so years aren't written.

What you presumably mean is that it's not codified as we don't have one document that says "THIS IS A CONSTITUTION AND YOU CAN'T CHANGE IT" instead relying on an evolving set of documents such as the parts of Manga Carta, the 1689 Bill of Rights, Act of Settlement which detail the changes in the constitutional relationship between everybody involved in a trail marked by a revolt here, and a glorious revolution there. The relationship continues to evolve and get tweaked because we still haven't got it right after a thousand years of effort.

(Incidentely, the concept that you could have a law that couldn't be altered for the benefit of whomever was in power at the time comes from the 1689 Bill of Rights, which has a number of extremely interesting clauses stating "[this act] shall stand remaine and be the Law of this Realme for ever", and a wonderful set of remedies saying that if anybody tries then the people of our happy realm are absolved of their allegiance etc. This is pertinent and ironic because it's one of the acts that such reformers want to repeal in favour or something else...)

There is some suggestion that our existing arrangements need updating, and most people would probably agree. Could we first dispense with the annual check of the parliament sellers performed since the start of the war against terrorists on 5.11.1605 when Mr Fawkes became the last person to enter parliament with honest intentions in the hope that somebody finishes the job in the future?

(For our American readers, Mr Fawkes's intention was to destroy parliament with gunpowder by packing the parliament cellars full of barrels of gunpowder. He failed in his attempt, and was duly sentenced to be hung, drawn and quartered for his impertinence. To demonstrate that the English don't forgive or forget (or like terrorists very much) we burn ritually burn effigies of Mr Fawkes at the stake in every town in the country once a year on the 5th of November to accompany large displays of fireworks.)

8. JCB

What next?

"1 wishes 2 send a selfie 2 1s husband @Mr_Holbein"

9. Ralph B

Fake Queen

The Real HMQ would have written "We" rather than "I".

And She would have used a "wePad" rather than an "iPad".

Or got a butler to do it for Her.

Or her Prime Minister.

1. Infernoz Bronze badge
      Devil

Re: Fake Queen

There is no real HMQ because it's been fake (including by it's own rules) for a LOT longer than many people realise, definitely fake after Victoria because Albert couldn't breed (which made all the children illegitimate!), probably even further back too! Princess Diana was just used to get some pure royal Bloodline bred back in, then sacrificed.

Anyhow we don't need no warlords, Monarchs, Presidents, bloated Government or other gilded death mongers, drug dealing and pedo thugs to rule us; they are elite only in illusion, destruction, waste of lives, and waste of resources, forget honest virtue; that includes the 'Crown' demented fake religious cult warlords of the Vatican too!

The royal flag should be a skull and crossbones, as Elizabeth 1st effectively admitted.

10. JCB

Off with his head

Little old lady musters up courage to send he first tweet and straightaway gits like that Alex Hern are trolling her. Of course she might get into the swing of it. There would be a Twitter threat you would have to take seriously.

Down the police station.

Mr Hern "I got a death threat on Twitter."

Desk sergeant "Hmm, @BritishMonarchy. Yes, that looks genuine. Just come and wait in this safe little cell, Sir. We'll sort you out."

11. Uffish

We'll know if ...

..Her Maj has really taken up tweeting when the white gloves have little cloth of gold pads on the fingers.

12. scoobie

The first spam

Queen Elizabeth also sent a message, unsolicited, to all ARPANET users in 1976. She could be the first ever spammer too. http://www.wired.com/2012/12/queen-and-the-internet/

13. Dave Bell

There'll never be another...

She has huge experience, and if somebody wanted an election for a democratic President, I would vote for her. Though I would feel guilty about lumbering an old lady with the job.

Sometimes, I don't think we realise how lucky we are, and the monarchies of northern Europe seem to work out pretty well. Britain is part of a group of political solutions that work out pretty well in the modern world. And the next couple of generations look pretty solid. It's the politicians we need to worry about. Some of them deserve the turbulent priest treatment, though it's probably a good thing that those days are over.

There's also only one Royal Air Force.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: There'll never be another...

The Queen is head of state, public servants, servicemen, police etc owe allegiance to her - very useful in those "No Dave, I can't do that" moments.

Perhaps there is a method to get a president with similar experience and usefulness. However just append a few of the following names to the word President and see if you like the idea.

Assange

Blair

Brown

Thatcher

Murdoch

Benn

Farage

Clegg

Branson

Powell

Scargill

Etc

PS, "Only one Royal Air Force" - Thank God!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'll go for President Benn.

Or President Bagpuss.

2. Infernoz Bronze badge
        Facepalm

How about none of the above, just very lean government with lean local government, kind of like the Swiss and their Cantons, but even leaner.

A permanent centralised military is a dangerous thing and tends to get misused for poking it's nose in where it has no business being, at huge cost to productive people, like on the European continent, Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan, Libya, and other parts of Asia and Africa; which were worse than a waste of money, because they increased UK defence and immigration costs.

The Swiss don't let their nominal air force get away with that wasteful stupidity; they have a militarily prepared population and long term defensive plans to FUBAR invasion, so less need for a separate military forces.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Royalists always suggest such things, while overlooking the fact that they're picking names they think the public will be repulsed by, while at the same time implying the public would vote for them.

And they seem perfectly happy to use this selection system for the government that runs the country, but not for someone who they claim is just there to cut ribbons and wear gloves to shake hands with the great unwashed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"There's also only one Royal Air Force"

And if Lewis Page is to be believed, poor Britain can't even afford that!!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The republics of northern Europe also work out pretty well.

Being a monarch basically requires keeping your mouth shut, which the Queen is very good at. Her big-eared son, not so much. That is going to be interesting. I suspect the monarchists are praying for him to die before the old lady.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

School Circa 1967

God save our bickie tin.

Don't let the ants get in.

God save our tin...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TItle is dubious !

Loyal follower ? Why would I want to follow an old hag with no legitimacy to "Rule" over us. And her philandering kids/grandkids !

What's there to follow?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On the other hand.....

.....if I follow her, wont I be arrested & charged for stalking her?

17. wolfetone Silver badge

How long will it take for Price Phillip to do an Ed Balls with the search term "big tits"?

18. The Vociferous Time Waster

The

The Queen

The Royal Navy

The City

You all know which one.

1. Matt Piechota

Re: The

"The Queen

The Royal Navy

The City

You all know which one."

Elton John, ok you got me there, and New York City (as I'm in the eastern US). (Hint: "the City" generally refers to the largest city in the area, I can see how that would get confusing for England since there's really only one large city.) :)

19. Lapun Mankimasta

Gee, and since the late seventies I've been under the (mis)apprehension that the UK (and some of the Commonwealth nations) had a BritishBollocky. Shouldn't trust the Sex Pistols to teach one constitutional theory, I guess ... (I suppose that would mean we now had Bollock Butterflies ... you just can't win!!!)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like