back to article Australia to 'relieve' telcos of need to disclose intercepts

The federal government's “red tape repeal” policy looks set to reduce the amount of information Australians receive about telecommunications interception requests. Deep in the bills designed to reduce telecommunications service providers' regulatory compliance costs is a proposal to repeal the record-keeping requirement that …

1. Big-nosed Pengie
    Headmaster

"Intercept" is a verb. The word you're looking for is "interception".

You're welcome.

2. dan1980

"This is clearly a measure aimed at reducing the regulatory burden on telecommunications companies, as evidenced by the fact that it was canvassed in a deregulation discussion paper issued in April."

Right, because politicians wouldn't ever try to introduce something in a sneaky way.

I have been very polite, over all, on this site but the behavior of our governments is increasingly stirring me to express my sentiments with more colour than usual, and so, to all who are pushing this, please FUCK OFF.

Just stop it. We, as Australians, don't WANT to turn into the US. There is much wrong with this country but one of our constant sources of solace is to reassure ourselves that 'at least we don't live in the US'. That is a claim this is becoming increasingly difficult to convince myself of.

3. Mark 65

If you're going to do a lot more interception it makes sense to sweep those stats under the carpet.

4. CrazyLikeAFox

It appears that our benign overlords are worried that the statistics might show they are not so benign. Solution? Stop the statistics.

And people wonder why talking politics with me gets me fired up.

1. dan1980

@CrazyLikeAFox

Why not? Same policy they used for asylum seekers.

1. CrazyLikeAFox

I needed a few rewrites of my above comment to avoid saying anything about what happened in Canada recently.

But some days and some people......

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon