back to article Upstart brags about cheaper-than-Amazon private cold data cloud

Storiant is an object storage startup which claims its customers can use its technology to store petabyte-scale data in a private cloud at a price below public cloud storage. How does it pull this trick off? It has a customer, Markley Cloud Services in New England, which it says stores 11PB of cold data in a Storiant silo – as …

1. F. Svenson

Any idea what OS this runs on?

2. rvandolson

Or go LTFS with LTO6 and spend even less, use less power and consume less space... probably can keep all your tapes in your library to boot. Easier to expand storage too (and at $25/TB) by adding more tapes.

3. Nate Amsden

should be easy

to beat public cloud object storage when your talking PB or more of data, that's quite a bit of (initial) volume.

object storage players have been doing this for years, not sure why this might be news. I was thinking maybe it was news because it was going to be a small scale or something but a PB of data is significant to all but the largest orgs in the world.

4. B Candler Silver badge

Eighteen nines? Utter nonsense

This implies a failure rate of 1 in 10^18

For availability: that would mean that the system downtime is guaranteed to be 32 picoseconds per year.

For data loss: that would mean losing one byte in every exabyte (= 1000 petabytes)

Anyone who makes such claims is a shyster.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eighteen nines? Utter nonsense

I'd need an awful lot of detail on the particulars before I'd call BS. With enough redundancy it's conceivable given validated MTBF statistical probabilities. Still... I like it. Can't afford it (sigh).

1. Martin Gregorie

Re: Eighteen nines? Utter nonsense

With enough redundancy...

They've told us how much redundancy they use - just two copies of the data plus the ZFS checksums which, unlike RAID 5 checksums, can't be used to recreate a corrupt block or the content of a dead disk though they do guarantee to spot corruption. Given that stored data is merely duplicated, there's no point in more than duplicating the rest of the supporting hardware and power supplies.

Like others, I find 9^18 reliability claim incredible: the probability of simultaneous failure of the disks holding both copies of a piece of data has to be much higher than that. Put it another way, even the best fault tolerant kit, with every component at least duplicated and the system configured as a geographically distributed system don't claim more than 9^6 reliability, so whats going on here?

5. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Prices and reliability

Price-wise, I can see a relatively large amount of data like this beating Amazon pricing. After all, they want to provide service at a profit, and past some scale nobody will have a "magic bullet" that radically reduces their costs compared to everyone else. If a service is bursty, being able to "rent" peak load cloud resources that you don't pay for the rest of the time changes this equation, but cold storage is not that kind of use.

As for eighteen nines -- that's a typo, later in the article they say eight nines. This still seems a bit unrealistic, but if everything's redundant (I think it is) and hot swappable, I'm sure it is plenty reliable.

6. storageguru
    Mushroom

Disclaimer i work for Cloudian . I just joined the company few months ago and I think Cloudian HyperStore solution really have a shot at success. Prices can go as low as ~1C/GB/Month (calculated over a 5 year term) by using commodity hardware, Erasure Coding and compression. You also don't need to start at 1PB, but you can start as low as few TBs. Take a look at this study made by Storage Switzerland http://storageswiss.com/2014/10/23/reduce-storage-tco-with-private-cloud-storage/

7. Bronek Kozicki

interested

This might be just right as cold store for my backups. Two things I particularly like - low price and ZFS. However looking at the website, it does not seem they actually have anything on offer for individuals - the market specifically seem to be for "financial services, government, media, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, and data center services". Oh well, perhaps a data center service will pop up as a retail branch ... someday.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like