back to article Zuckerberg bombshell: Man married to Chinese woman speaks Chinese in China

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg shocked a Chinese audience with his mastery of Mandarin – a language that's as difficult to master as his website's privacy settings. The advertising kingpin was speaking at Tsinghua University in China, where he stunned attendees by ditching English and speaking in Mandarin for more than half an …

1. Semtex451
    Thumb Up

"a language that's as difficult to master as Facebook's privacy settings" Like

1. Mage Silver badge
      Headmaster

difficult to master?

No, babies learn Chinese just as easily as English.

English is hard for Chinese Adults to learn

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: difficult to master?

I speak Chinese, when I was learning I thought it was hard at the start. But then someone pointed out to me that everyone in China can speak it, even the stupid people. So it is clearly not anywhere near as hard as differential equations or other stuff which the majority of the population would never get regardless of how many lessons they took.

Languages are not hard, but you need to be there, take lessons and take the time to expose yourself to them and practice.

1. razorfishsl

Yep Exposing yourself and practice , solves many of life's problems.

2. David Beck

It also helps if you learn the language at the point in your life that your brain is most responsive to acquiring language, prior to the age of 12 in most of the literature, but as early as 6 months for selective sounds.

2. ukgnome

Presumably so he can pay no tax there as well

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How's that gonna work?

Facebook's already part of the NSA's spying apparatus. How Facebook gonna work in China?

1. ratfox
      Holmes

Re: How's that gonna work?

Not. Facebook has been blocked there for years.

2. Turtle

Re: How's that gonna work?

"Facebook's already part of the NSA's spying apparatus. How Facebook gonna work in China?"

By becoming part of the Chinese spying apparatus.

4. Stretch

well respect

i have more for him than before I read this. My wife's family are german and I am far too lazy to learn.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: well respect

Respect to Zuck: my wife and her family are French, and I do my best but my old brain is a slow learner!

No respect to you though: or rather, clearly no respect from YOU to your wife and her family!

1. alwarming
        Trollface

Re: well respect

> my wife and her family are French, and I do my best but my old brain is a slow learner!

Also, it'll be rather pointless to learn Mandarin to talk to a French family. Unless that's part of your brilliant plan.

5. Just Enough
    Headmaster

"So, kids, keep on learning those verb conjugations "

Chinese does not use verb conjugations.

Bottom of the class for you.

1. Eddy Ito
      Thumb Up

Re: "So, kids, keep on learning those verb conjugations "

That's one of the best features of Chinese. Another is not having to worry about getting the gender of inanimate objects correct.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And no plurals, and no tenses either.

If only they didn't write it in characters and speak with tones, it would actually be a very easy language to learn, even for Europeans.

2. razorfishsl

Or indeed animate objects.

He, she & it are all the same

1. Eddy Ito

Not exactly, while he, she and it sound the same, the characters are different; 他 她 牠(它)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cringingly awful

As a student of Chinese I repeat the sentiments of every other Mandarin speaker I know, Chinese native or not, when I say that Zuckerberg's Mandarin is just god awful.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: cringingly awful

It's nice that he's trying but I'm not surprised by your comment.

After studying the language for only a couple months I can more or less follow what he's saying. It's very basic and I'm not sure where The Register's assessment of fluency comes in since a lot of times he seems to be struggling for words.

The interviewer is also clearly making a heroic effort to speak in simple sentences, very slowly and clearly.

It seems the audience is laughing not because Zuckerberg is joking with them so much as to break the tension.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Zuckerberg's Mandarin is just god awful.

It's a hell of a lot better than mine, which runs out at 青啤请

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Practice your tones Zuck! 10/10 for effort but that is shockingly bad. The Chinese equivalent of officer Crabtree in 'Allo 'Allo saying "Good moaning. There is obviously no piss for the wicked. "

7. Turtle

Is Old English The Only Real English?

"Yes, we are fully aware that the headline text is in Simplified Chinese and not Mandarin per se"

That's sort of like saying that only Old English is real English. I don't know who told you otherwise but Simplified Chinese is real Mandarin. (Simplified and Traditional Chinese are only ways of writing certain characters, the language is spoken the same way no matter which version of the characters you use - allowing of course for regional variations in vocabulary, idioms, pronunciation, and grammar that have nothing to do with the use of either Traditional or Simplified Chinese characters.)

1. gazthejourno

Re: Is Old English The Only Real English?

Today I have learned something that I did not know before.

Signed, Vulture Central backroom gremlin.

1. Turtle

"Today I have learned something that I did not know before."

You have learned this the same way that *I* learn things nowadays: by finding out that I was dead wrong about something.

Accept my sympathy and commiserations.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Put more simply, both simplified and traditional writing systems can be (and are) used to write Mandarin.

1. Mage Silver badge

Though I can only read pinyin, not that I understand it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If learning Chinese, you *have* to learn characters, not rely on Pinyin. Simplified or Traditional doesn't matter, they are pretty similar and if you read one, you can easily learn to understand the other. But you have to learn characters, once you can, it's actually far easier to read than pinyin. And you need characters if you ever go to China and need to read any signs, etc.

1. Eddy Ito

cap'n is absolutely right, pinyin is only useful to initially learn pronunciation and for typing. If you rely on pinyin you can't tell the difference between nán 男(male) and nán 難 (difficult).

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
              Coat

you can't tell the difference between nán (male) and nán (difficult)

I have several female friends who would contend that there is no difference between male and difficult...

2. razorfishsl

Yep…

There are just too many homographs in Chinese, any westernized system of representing the words, ends up messing you up, even just looking at the Chinese whilst learning the words is enough to prompt the correct usage.

But then all those so called experts would not be raking in millions from the various published systems.

But Traditional & Simplified do not have the same meaning( even for the same character groups) it is not always a 1:1 substitution.

3. razorfishsl

"I don't know who told you otherwise but Simplified Chinese is real Mandarin."

ER…. no.

Simplified was introduced by Mao in the 50's to try and raise the level of education of the Chinese masses ( also to deny the people the ability to read past documents).

He claimed to have produced the form himself. ( are you saying that Chinese did not start writing 'real Chinese until the 50's?….. hint it is called Mandarin for a reason….)

Prior to that traditional characters were used, and if you go to Taiwan and say such things you would be punched in the face.

The true 'written form' has evolved over thousands of years, eventually stabilizing in about the 4-5 Century and were the central form used by the Emperors courts of China.

1. mark 177

No, only the characters were simplified - fewer strokes making them easier to write.

Since then the two have diverged somewhat, but this has more to do with political differences (Taiwan v. The PRC). They were originally identical in meaning.

2. Turtle

@razorfishsl Re: Is Old English The Only Real English?

You seem to think that my opinion is that if Simplified Chinese is real Mandarin, then Traditional Chinese must somehow be "false" Mandarin. This is not my position. They are *both* real Mandarin.

You seem to object, for whatever half-wit reasons you may have, to Mandarin written in Simplified Chinese being called "real Mandarin"; are *you* saying that it is "false" Mandarin?

3. Turtle

@razorfishsl Re: Is Old English The Only Real English?

Here's another point (which I neglected to put in my previous post):

"The true 'written form' has evolved over thousands of years..." (Emphasis added.)

And so Simplified Chinese is not a "true written form" of Mandarin because you don't consider orthographic reforms - whether Mao claimed credit for them or not is irrelevant - to be part of a language's evolution.

That's certainly a very original point of view. It's also a very wrong point of view.

8. chivo243 Silver badge
    Headmaster

Lots of reasons

Yes, he probably can take as much time as likes can for lessons. Yes, he has a wife that speaks the language. What's the deal?

I speak English, have a French wife, and live in a country that speaks a third language. I took Spanish in school, and probably know it better than French or the current country's language.

Given time off for language classes (like Zuck), I may speak the three necessary languages for my current situation.

Besides, he was only shilling for his company...

Now for the down votes :-}

9. Timpatco

ha ha he he Inscrutable

his extended family must be laughing their titsoff.

10. stuartnz

Since El Reg is normally a pedant's paradise, I'm surprised that no one has yet asked this question: Why keep calling it Chinese? Presumably what he was speaking was MSM, Modern Standard Mandarin, aka Putonghua, etc. There is no one language called Chinese, and since Mandarin and Cantonese are mutually unintelligble yet use the same writing system (which CAN be called Chinese), calling Mandarin "Chinese" does a disservice to every other member of the Sinitic family of languages.

1. Timpatco

It makes it simple for ignoramuses to understand, Chinese food is basically 3-4 dishes and comes in funny paper boxes, Asian people all look the same and Chinese language is all one dialect but pronounced differently depending on whether you come from north south east or west like 'merica , SunTzu is all you need to know about Chinese stratagems,

there all done

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

"Chinese food is basically 3-4 dishes and comes in funny paper boxes"

Nope, comes in foil containers with card lids. Or plastic containers

(If you exclude paper bags of sweet and sour balls, or a spring roll. )

2. Trixr
      Facepalm

My thought entirely.

I also theorised that grandma was begroggled because Zuck was addressing her in Mandarin and she only speaks Hokkien (perhaps).

1. stuartnz

MSM, Hokkien, Hakka, Cantonese or Wu, whatever he was speaking did at least give me the chance to confirm my theory that only certain types of pedantry are approved of here - I made the post in the expectation of getting at least one down vote, and that confidence has been fully vindicated. :)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Chinese

Where I live, when we don't understand something, people says "that's chinese for me". I wonder what's the chinese version for this..."that's german for me"?

1. razorfishsl

Re: Chinese

雞同鴨講

"Chicken & Duck speaking" is a rough equivalent, they say it is not used in Mandarin only Cantonese, but that is not correct, over the last 20 years there has been a merging of such terms.

It can cause all sorts of confusion in a brothel. ;-)

( Chicken =female prostitute, Duck = male prostitute)

Go check out the Hong Kong films based around his term, there are some very funny ones.

2. Pookietoo

Re: when we don't understand something

In the UK "Double Dutch" used to be a common phrase for e.g. technical speech the listener doesn't understand.

12. Ben Bonsall

"...and her grandmother only speaks Chinese. When Priscilla and I decided to get married, I told her grandmother using Chinese. She was really shocked"

Probably because he said "I wish to marry your sheep."

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Speaking to all potential dropouts only

He has admitted to spying on fellow students and stealing their facebook idea then dropping out and beatinmg them to the punch. If a University degree is just a useless piece of paper then why issue any licenses such as driver, pilots, captain etc.

14. Truth4u

its no surprise this communist in waiting speaks fluent Chinese

Wish he would stay there tbh.

15. Yorgo

Good for him. However, if his wife and her granny had been Cantonese, the predominate dialect in Hong Kong and southern China, this article would not have been written. You can count the number of westerners fluent in Cantonese on your hands & toes and those that do are treated exactly like a talking cat. Mandarin is doable and is spoken by many westerners.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like