back to article NBN Co reports fibre traction and Telstra action

NBN Co has made the slightly awkward announcement that it's more than tripled the number of premises connected to its fibre network in the past year, while maintaining its commitment to the multi-technology model for future rollouts. It's chalked up the connections surge in spite of a management bonfire, several reviews to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not a fair cop (per)

It's just such a massive mess.

I can't even connect to Uncle Mal's Dodgy-Data-Distribution-Disaster....

1. Knoydart

Re: It's not a fair cop (per)

Just cross the ditch and come and enjoy what will be a 75% minimum fttp build in the next 6 years here in New Zealand. I think we passed 50,000+ premises a few weeks ago too. Not bad for a bunch of hobbits hanging out in the shire*.

*New Zealand does not really contain hobbits much as the terrible Air New Zealand in-flight safety videos wants to make you believe.

2. aberglas

What is a "connection"?

People actually using the NBN? People that will use it once their copper is cut? Premises in the general area of fibre? Or premises planned to be connected some time in the future?

Or is it mainly new housing estates where the developer has had to actually lay all the fibre?

I've lost track of the costs, maybe $10billion to date. That would be about $50,000 per household? It would be interesting to know roughly how much per household the existing ADSL roll out has cost.

1. BlackKnight(markb)

Re: What is a "connection"?

thats ok aberglas don't strain your brain trying to understand that to connect a single end user to a network you should probably spend the money building the back haul first and completing the design work.

any semi competent ICT project works in this way, you spend large sums of time and money working out the details for you even touch a piece of kit. once you are ready you start the roll out and ramp up as testing and resources allow (see the graph).

FYI Connected means that the fibre is connected to the premise, whether or not the persons bought a service or the ISP has connected them to there network is another question. "Premise Passed" is the dodgy political term to look out for

1. Fluffy Bunny
        Holmes

Re: What is a "connection"?

If the definition of connected is "...that the fibre is connected to the premise, whether or not the persons bought a service or the ISP has connected them to there network...", then the number is uninteresting. What I want to know is how many actual users the NBN has.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon