back to article Apple flings iOS 8.1 at world+dog: Our AMAZEBALLS 9-step installation guide

Apple has rolled out iOS 8.1, enabling features on the iPhone 6 and other new Apple devices. The company said the 8.1 update will allow users to begin using the Apple Pay platform with their iPhone 6 and 6 Plus NFC-enabled handsets. This allows users to link their bank accounts with the Apple Pay software, so when the phone is …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've installed it!

Do I win £5?

1. SuccessCase

Re: I've installed it!

No you get down voted for admitting you own an iThing on The Register.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I've installed it!

Not only £5 but you get to be first in line to download iOS 8.2 (good luck)

2. i like crisps
    Thumb Up

Re: your 9 step guide...

...very pithy Mr Nichols.....have a thumbs up:)

3. heyrick Silver badge
    Meh

Meh.

Slightly better than 8.0 in that it is only asking for 4.9GB instead of 5.3GB. But that's many many times more than iOS7 required and, frankly, not do-able without throwing off a lot of stuff to make space. Space for what? A photo app that can do panoramas (like Android has managed for ages?), a keyboard that can support external keyboard handlers to provide something akin to Swype (ditto Android->ages)? Desirable, yes. Must-haves? Not really. I'm kind of struggling to see much "OMFG-WOW!" benefit to most of the other new features in iOS8. Health kit? <shrugs>

I'll stick with iOS7 for now, thanks.

1. ThomH

Re: Meh.

Pssst... insider's tip: iOS 7 does panoramas. No need for you to upgrade!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@T

Depends on device. If you assume an iPhone, then you're somewhat correct. IPad, not.

2. Roger Anderson

Plug it into iTunes, you only need ~600MB of free space.

4. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge
    Happy

Nice

Nice, I did find those install instructions quite amusing.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Nice

Next at The Register: What to do if your suspiciously organic Giant Super Robot suddenly decides to stop moving while you are comfy ensconced in the liquid-filled command podule.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can you use words with 2 syllables or less?

"8.Brick"

Classic.

Your instructions are still too difficult for the masses. TRUST ME, wait for it: someone will muck it up and rant on the internet.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

In other news...

The Register releases a 312 point guide to installing cyanogenmod on your Android device. Steps include at least 41 resets (depending on model) and running to the store to buy a new phone after bricking yours.

Pete

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In other news...

Uh oh, we're detecting some hurting in the posterior regions for Peter

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

alternative for many Android users

1) Turn on device

2) Invoke Update OS App (or whatever it is called)

3) Turn off device in anger when told 'No Updates available'

4) Put on coat

5) Walk/Bus/Car/Magic carpet to nearest store selling android phones

6) hand over cash/credit for new phone

7) Fly home pleased with new toy

8) Go to step 1) and repeat

How many Fandroids here have been caught by the lack of updates fo your phone. I have Twice. both HTS and almighty Samsung stopped any updates to my aDevices withing a month or so of purchase. The only way forwars is to load something like Cyanogen onto and that is clearly beyond most users.

8. HipposRule

Yet another update..

... I can't do OTA on my iPad3 (Damn, downvote fodder). Oh well, time to power on the PC again.

9. Velv
    Gimp

Call me cynical, but a release of 8.1 just a month after 8.0 means that 8 wasn't going to be ready for public consumption by the original "announcement" data. But we'll fudge it.

I hope they've fixed all the niggles, 8.0.x has been disappointing with all the little things I've found its broken. If this was a school report card it would be "must try harder" Apple. You can be good, you dropped the ball on this one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

OK, Cynical.

As 8.1's major features include enabling support for Apple Pay and some of the hand-off/continuity features for Yosemite, I'd say there was always likely to be an upgrade to 8.0 when those two things became available.

I guess they either have to do that or watch our idiotic press complaining that Apple Pay doesn't work in the weeks between the launch of the iPhone 6's and Apple Pay actually being available. (And similarly complaining that handoff doesn't work with Mavericks, so is a pointless feature.)

10. W T Riker

Lipgate

Installing iOS 8.1 made my lip bleed. It could have something to do with trying to upgrade to iOS 8.1 while eating a cheese and ham roll and at the same time trying to install Yosemite, But, I'm blaming the upgrade to iOS 8.1 - lipgate or is that lippygate!

11. Nifty Silver badge

I went for the 128GB model - just enough room to accommodate updates

12. Craig McGill 1

Any better on the iPad2

Like a muppet I installed this on the iPad2 and it's made it horrific to use. Anyone know if this a) speeds things up or b) gives me back the option to pick how many emails sit in my inbox?

1. fnusnu

Re: Any better on the iPad2

Still runs like a slug on dope :(

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Any better on the iPad2

"Still runs like a slug on dope"

So it restored that new Apple experience?

13. Anomalous Cowshed

I keep looking for "DownLAND and Install"

But I haven't found it yet...

14. JDX Gold badge

Remember your PIN

So they removed the finger-print unlocking on the iPhone 6 then?

15. Rich 30

5s

I was updating my other half's 5s last night.

117MB update, requires 2.2GB of room to install. (See picture)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0fMBLNIQAArfM0.jpg:large

So I could have either updated via iTunes, or clear a bit of space on her phone. I decided to clear up some space on the phone. Most of her space seems to be taken up by apps. So I delete a few she doesn't use, but that still didn't leave enough room. I look at what's taking up most room, and it's still apps, specifically Buzzfeed, which weighs in at just under 800MB - surely that cant be right? I check, the app itself is like 20MB, the rest is cache. Can you clear the cache? Not really; you have to delete the app then reinstall it!

No wonder iOS update install rates are slowing

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like