back to article NBN Co adds 'burbs to copper map, claims 'speed up' rollout

NBN Co has re-designated 140 suburbs from fibre-to-the-premises to fibre-to-the-node, a move it says will deliver high-speed connections to the target locations earlier than would otherwise have been a case. In NSW, the deployment decision covers parts of the Central Coast, Newcastle and Lake Macquarie regions, while in …

1. John Tserkezis

We must be super-lucky. We were never slated for fibre in the first place. Back when the NBN rollout map was "active", there were gaping holes in it, and we were in one of those holes. Appears nothing has changed.

Inner West Sydney must be one of those areas that holds absolutely no political value at all.

On the upside, we don't have to deal with higher prices for something we're getting now cheaper...

1. Ted 3

Safe seats

"Inner West Sydney must be one of those areas that holds absolutely no political value".

That it because it is a rusted on Labor/Green seat. And thus, it is of absolutely no political advantage of either side to target...the seat won't really change sides, regardless of policy. I share your pain, the difference being I would like NBN to replace my laughable ADSL2+ which runs at 2kbps, as long as it is not raining.

2. Diogenes

Inconsistancies

Hmmm, the Central Coast list looks silly in places. They have already connected up the entire Budgewoi Peninsula - there are no properties on it ! Funny they don't have Lake Munmorah or Budegwoi which are on either end of the Budgewoi Peninsula listed (many people think the town of Budgewoi is ON the Peninsula)

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

NBN

Used to be fascinated at the prospect of NBN 1.0

Then: LNP

Now I couldn't give a tinkers cuss about NBN 2.0 (beta)

Just leave me to wallow in ADSL2+ and copper.

4. Neoc
    Thumb Down

Oh, FFS! My parents live 100Km outside Brisbane and they have access to the NBN. Me, I live 10Km from the centre of the city (as the crow flies) and the entire area around me (not just my suburb) is not even getting a look in, let alone planning details.

1. DownUndaRob

Out of interest, what were your parent's speed on copper compared to yours?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Oh, FFS! My parents live 100Km outside Brisbane and they have access to the NBN."

My grandma is on that new list. Uses an Android app to access Facebook. That's about her internet usage

And we're still not even on the "thinking about it" list where I live. We've got people unable to get ADSL because Telstra's run out of ports! We've got a leaking bloody exchange roof, so when it rains, the entire town (ie a few thousand customers) loses the internet. But because the NBN is "coming", Telstra doesn't want to fix anything.

I actually wrote to my local federal member about 12 months ago, asking why my town was still yet to appear on the 5 year plan, while the town his office is in was already live. Answer: <silence>. All I got was a "your email has been received" email.

5. jobst

LNP makes NBN theirs although ALP started it - so it seems.

It seems that Malcom Turnbull &Co has made the NBN theirs although it was started by the ALP.

It seems, too, their selection of suburbs is based upon voting - the suburbs north, east, south and west ALL have or get(next rollout) the NBN.

I run a small business that is located on a road that has about 100 restaurants, all big supermarkets, 20 hair dressers, a myriad of clothing shops, lots of computer shops, a big cinema, 5 travel agents, loads and loads of supporting services (lawyers, accounting, etc) and many, many other businesses and is reasonably wealthy - yet the state of internet services is absolutely appalling.

6. Faceless Man

There's sooner, and there's later...

'The company's chief customer officer John Simon says the announcement will bring “fast and reliable” broadband to 200,000 premises sooner than expected, since the locations were “not earmarked to receive the NBN in the coming 12 months"'

So, what about those of us who were scheduled to get FTTH by this time last year, only to be taken completely off the schedule after the election? And we're still not back on it.

I suppose, that's what we get for voting Labor. This government is nothing if not vindictive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like