back to article Down-under record: Australian gets $140k for pussy

A down-under record has been achieved as an enterprising Australian seller has succeeded in obtaining no less than OZ$140k for a much-loved pussy. The feline in question, named "Tiffany", was apparently so desirable to the buyer of a $2m house on the Antipodean subcontinent that an extra $140k was added to the price on …

1. Khaptain Silver badge
    Coat

Nice pussy

140k for a piece of pussy, that must be one fine looking pussy. I wonder if it one of those hairless varieties ?

1. Mark 85

Re: Nice pussy

Not a piece of pussy... the whole pussy.

2. corestore

I've been married 20 years...

...and I'm sure it's cost me a lot more than that, all told.

3. thomas k.

special place in Hell reserved for this guy

What kind of cretin would sell his own flesh and blood (figuratively speaking) to close a house sale?

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: special place in Hell reserved for this guy

And what kind of cretin pays $140k for a cat? (I know the calculation is a bit far-fetched, but never mind)

2. jgarbo
      Devil

Re: special place in Hell reserved for this guy

I'd throw in every damn feline that ever lived for that price! (Devoted dog lover here ;-} )

3. Nigel 11
      Alert

Re: special place in Hell reserved for this guy - NOT!

The cat has doubtless made her own feelings plain. And if she doesn't like her new people, she'll make their life hell and then leave.

People being ultra-critical of this deal have surely never cohabited with a cat. They're dog people. Or deluded people that a cat feels sorry for. A cat is affectionate, even loving, but rarely if ever does it regard its people as irreplaceable to the point of serious unhappiness if someone else is being nice. An elderly cat will be much more upset by being moved than by being provided with new carers in the house it "owns".

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

An elderly cat will be much more upset by being moved than by being provided with new carers in the house it "owns".

Ahem - dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Further to this - Burmese and Siamese (that looked like a Burmese on the video) tend to declare ownership over people. They will adopt one particular person as an owner (or to be more exact, declare that they own that person) and tell everyone else to sod off, even if those are the people are feeding them and changing their litter tray.

If you are that lucky person, the cat will stand in-between anything and you (inclusive of lethal poisonous local wildlife). I have seen it and been on the receiving end of it myself. Our old cat which my mom has been feeding and living with for 10 years declared my son an "owner". From there on, you could no longer even consider tucking in his blanket or getting anywhere near him if the cat was in attendance. At 1-2m you got a warning hiss, approach under 1m was dealt with by a set of 20 razor blades attached to a surprisingly agile (for her age) old Siamese.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Burmese is a short-hair breed. The cat in the video looks like a Balinese, which probably would behave much like a Siamese since it's just a long-hair mutation of that breed.

I've found Burmese to be gregarious and sociable to the point of being absolutely atypical of what non-cat people seem to think cats are like.

4. Mark 85

I'm not sure I get it....

The house didn't sell for $2 M, but a buyer offered $2.2 M if they give them the cat? I guess I'm one who questions the price of felines.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Read the original article - TVNZ

It was due to the young daughter of the buyer falling for the cat at the viewing.

They asked if it could be included in the purchase.

6. Frankee Llonnygog

Sounds fair

If you want the cat, you need a bigger kitty

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Sounds fair

If you want the pussy, you need a bigger kitty.

Here, fixed that for you

7. FunkyEric
    Pirate

Everything has it's price......

8. breakfast Silver badge

I think I remember the film

Now every day they can enjoy breakfast at Tiffany's.

A little like me walking past the busker with the severely limited repertoire on my way into the office.

9. Phil Endecott

Newsreaders

> pron: 2 million and 60 thousand dollars

Huh? Is this Reuters adding pronunciation hints, just in case the story is picked up by some hard-of-thinking newsreader who didn't get to numbers beyond 100 at school? THERE IS NO HOPE.

1. Tim Bates

Re: Newsreaders

Probably there for the newsreaders who live in USA, where they would leave out the "and", effectively making it $2m multiplied by 60,000 dollars when read out loud.

10. Fihart

Unfair

The couple were criticised for selling the cat on grounds that new owners would cause it stress.

Cats actually value their territory more than any people who happen to be in it.

Witness the disorientation and instinct to hide of a cat moved to a new home -- as would have happened if the couple had sold the house and moved with cat to new home.

1. DanceMan

Re: Unfair

Moved a family cat from its only home of about 15 years, not many homes and a lot of open territory, into the middle of a busy mixed home and low-rise apartment area without a hiccup. Cat was an indoor-outdoor type.

11. bonkers

incorrect value in register

Sorry Team Reg, I am a loyal and long-standing reader and commentard and I admire much of your irreverent humour. However, I can't get on with sniggering references to "pussy". Its a schoolboy thing born of fear and bravado, and to me at least, screams immaturity.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: incorrect value in register

I can only suggest you visit You Tube to assist with your research - a small clip from a film by Mr Tarantino : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUfel9sU-KI

(NSFW if you have the sound up)

2. unitron

Re: incorrect value in register

Things just aren't the same around here since the departure of The Moderatrix.

12. JustWondering
    Joke

Sounds backwards

Usually, it is when you are trying to get rid of a pussy that it costs the big bucks.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We moved our cat 3000kms

It died.

After 7 years.

[joke]

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apocryphal appearance of Raquel Welch on the Johnny Carson Show, with a cat on her lap. Late 70s, early 80s?

Raquel - "Do you want to pet my pussy?"

Johnny - "By all means. Can you move the cat?"

She was supposedly not amused.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rumour that never actually happened, it was meant to be zsa zsa g.

But this clip dispels the rumour:

Jane Fonda Asks Johnny Carson About Zsa Zsa Gabor…: http://youtu.be/wRR1aKBOCOQ

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon