back to article 'I went from a two-hour commute to a 10-min scooter ride by the sea'

Welcome to another instalment of The eXpat Files, in which we chat to Reg readers who've decided to make a go of it in a foreign land. This week, meet Eric Manfra, who's moved from the USA to balmy Bermuda. The Register: How old are you and where do you live in the USA, when you're there? Manfra: I'm 33 and hail from New …

1. Nate Amsden

expensive I think

One of my friends lived there and worked there for some time(and is 1/3rd bermudian or whatever they are called), one bit he gave me is assume each bag of groceries will cost you $100. The salary one gig there was offering me seemed tempting until my friend told me about the cost of living.

My commute is a 20 minute walk (used to be 10 minutes before the company moved further away, new office has a long lease so won't be going anywhere anytime soon) in the bay area. One company I was at four years ago(in WA state) the walk was literally about 500 feet(across the street). I had co-workers who parked further away than I lived. I was so overjoyed when they said come in to the interview and it wasn't until that point that I realized how close they actually were to me (I knew they were close, just not across the street!)

Some people have asked me if I get called all the time because I am so close, I have not. Perhaps twice in the past 3 years.

It's nice to be able to work from home in the morning and then get to the office around noon (I only go to the office because I want to, not because I need/have to).

It's one of the reasons I don't even talk to the companies that try to recruit me(seems like 2-3x/week), quality of life is too high, I don't want to be in a pressure situation where some other company is trying to pressure me to leave because I went down the interview path with them etc.. Nice to feel loved though :)

I had a 1+ hr commute once 14 years ago, lasted about two months before I moved closer to work (down to a 3 minute drive in that situation). Just can't put up with that kind of shit, I suppose maybe I could if it was just driving a long distance w/no traffic.

2. William Donelson

Bermuda is a treasure. Lovely people, amazing beaches, and even has seasons (very far north for a "tropical" island). I have been there many times, and would accept a position working there in 1/2 second.

3. DonCXX

I spent a week in Bermuda. Unfortunately, all but one day was spent in the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital; A sub mandibular protozoic infection 'Mortis Strangularium'. Still, my Dad and Brother had a mostly good time while caring for me. People are incredibly nice. The hospital is top notch, except for the billing. Apparently when you mail them a check from the USA, it has to go to the Bank of England to clear before being sent to Bermuda. The pizza is outstanding, and it can come with Bermuda Onions.

4. Philippe

Bermuda Onions on Pizza?

I don't know why but I really wanna try that.

One question though; What's a "check"?

1. FartingHippo

Re: Bermuda Onions on Pizza?

Colonial spelling mistake, like 'color'.

5. Carbon life unit 5,232,556

Having been scuba diving in British waters

I have only one thing to say, lucky barsteward!

6. Hollerith 1

If you are straight

My partner was offered a job there, looked into how I would be able to come along, found out that it would take too many lies and trickery to be able to manage it and, given that the job was legal/compliance, made an uncomfortable ethical fit. so we didn't' go. We were also offered Turks and Caicos, gawd help us. Four houses and a salt swamp.... (although lovely people).

7. Finder Keeper

Apparently there are no personal income taxes in Bermuda. Assuming the salary remains the same, wouldn't the income tax cover the higher cost of living?

8. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Happy

I used to be an ex-pat. Now living back home in dear old Blighty. Does that make me an ex-ex-pat?

Or just Pat?

1. bitpushr

That depends. Are you now, or have you ever been, a Postman?

2. Pedigree-Pete
      Happy

Ex-ex-pat

Also depends on the degree of patriotism you will own up to.

9. Daedalus

Warm blue waters?

Blue maybe. Warmer than the UK or much of the US definitely. But not always warm (sub 15 C for at least half the year) and prone to Portuguese Man'o'War plagues.

10. drtune

I moved to San Francisco from the UK in 2000 and it's fucking awesome, albeit very expensive. Not as glamorous as Bermuda but a really fun city full of interesting characters, also it's Geek Mecca of course :-).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon