back to article Kmart apologizes to customers after month-long security breach

Discount store Kmart admitted some customers’ payment cards have likely been “compromised” as it became the latest mega retailer to fall victim to cyber-crims. The parent of the chain, Sears Holding Corp, said the IT team discovered late Thursday that its payment systems had been breached, and further investigations indicate …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Flip

Re: NSA's job

No, there is no hope; the banks never lose.

2. frank ly
      Happy

"After all, they pay their taxes."

Up to a point, maybe.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"After all, they pay their taxes."

If they were in the UK, they probably wouldn't bother.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

WTF???????

Are you having me on?

Why on earth would the likes of GCHQ/NSA etc inform companies that their IT Systems Security is crap.

The more holes in them there are, the more data on the rest of us they can slurp free of charge and warrantless.

If they told a company that (for example) port 56789 in their firewall was open and would give admin access to the system containing all the names, addresses and credit histories of their customers, the spooks would have to admit that they had hacked the system themselves and be open to a whole lot of bad publicity, questions in the house and even the odd lawsuit or dozen. Put yourself in their shoes. Would you openly admit to these weaknesses?

There is more chance of a dog walking on Mars in the next five years than there is of the like of the NSA/GCHQ admitting that the sun rises in the east that there is of them owning yo all sorts of nefarious data slurping hacks.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Headmaster

Well they would be basically protecting their respective economies.

Will you maybe just LOOK at the curves of national debt, money printed and "jobs created" outside of taxpayer-funded sectors?

Nobody in charge gives a flying FUCK about "protecting their respective economies".

Public choice theory: The people in charge are not there to help you. They are there so that they can enlarge their mansion. And probably for the lulz.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Use cash. Period.this is going to get worse, how many smaller chain stores have been infected but havent clue? All that is being offered is a years worth of free credit reports. I don't know about you, but when someone steals your identity, makes payments with your money, fucks with your credit, its not as simple as " oh, you were hacked or part of a scam? No problem, all is back to normal." No, its a hell of an uphill battle to clear your name, cost quite a bit of money and time to clean up someone else's mess, kinda like teenagers having a massive house party in your house while your out for the night. Its on you.

With Xmas around the corner, the thrives are just waiting.,.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Here is hoping the ATM hasn't been p0wned and the war on cash won't accelerate because of "terrorists", "missed tax opportunities" and "thinking of the children".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I use a credit card for pretty much everything, cash occasionally, and the debit card not at all. To mitigate, check the transactions on the primary (high activity) credit card every few days, and reconcile the statements regularly and promptly. A number of years ago I questioned a charge and found it was for a purchase I made that had been transcribed wrong and credited to the wrong merchant several hundred miles distant. A couple of years before that (mid 1990s, I think) I contested an actual false charge; the bank investigated that and removed it after about a month and a half. Every two or three years an issuer cancels a card and sends a replacement, probably due to a breach somewhere. I suspect I am not all that far from the norm, and expect to continue this pattern at least until the last bank issues me a chip and PIN card and the law is changed to transfer fraud responsibility from the bank to me. Meanwhile, I am happy to accept free monitoring, courtesy of those companies that, whether or not from their negligence or mismanagement, lose some card info.

3. chivo243 Silver badge

Will any company stay secure?

Really? Will any company escape unscathed? The US companies seem to be falling like domino's. Even minor players. I think a better method for financial transactions is on the horizon. Can it arrive in time to save millions or billions is costs?

Nah, just wishful thinking. Something horrendous will happen, the company will be absolved of all blame, and the customers will be out the cash, or foot the bill, surely not the banks...

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

The biggest surprise to me

is that Sears & Kmart are still in business. They need to take their "customer is always wrong" and "we sell it but we'll never stock it" business model back to the grave.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: The biggest surprise to me

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause our members and customers.”

... although he refused to speculate on whether the breach was the result of further cost cutting measures that saw the outsourcing of the company's entire IT security operation to a couple of "quite clever" college students on a part time work experience program.

6. heyrick Silver badge

state customers do not have liability for unauthorised charges

Ah, but there in the warm promise is the ugly truth. Define "unauthorised". If a transaction was made using your credentials, then that was surely you unless you have a cast iron defence, like not being able to access cash machines on two continents five minutes apart...

7. Elmer Phud

Security?

"We've got armed guards at the doors, isn't that enough?

They cost plenty - we can't go round throwing money at everything that is a 'security' isssue, can we?

It's a hard world, we have to make some sacrifices here and there to retain a competitive profile"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next!

Hang on, if it was 'undetectable', how did they find it?

Whatever, a certain large retailer I know of is STILL running XP32 (at least its SP1?) on their POS. It can't be long now...

9. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Kmart security breached...

Credit card processing hacked. Total number of affected customers may climb into the dozens...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like