back to article Women in tech: Not asking for raises is your 'superpower' – Nadella. *chirp*...*chirp*

This was the week when Microsoft hit the news in a big way – and none of it very good. First, we discovered that things had gotten so bad between former Microsoft bosses Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer that they don’t even speak to each other anymore. It seems that Ballmer wanted to hang on in the top spot at Redmond until 2017, …

1. psychonaut

this proves

that lying down next to naked beautiful women can lead men to religion. although for me its usually a short while later....

im an atheist. not sure what that says about my missus....

actually she's an atheist too. i might have to ask her what the hell she means by not being religious when she lies down next to me!

bitch.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If women are not getting raises then they need to wear shorter skirts and skimpier tops. Unless they are fugly - in which case they are right out of luck.

1. BasicChimpTheory

"If women are not getting raises then they need to wear shorter skirts and skimpier tops."

You seem to be confused about the kind of "raise" under discussion.

Perhaps just confused more generally?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I believe men and women should get equal pay for equal work."

So he is going to tell the Microsoft HR department to close the gap then? He has the power to do so.

1. tom dial Silver badge

By no means a Microsoft fan, but ...

Is there any evidence at all that Microsoft or any or the other major technology companies pays female employees less than male employees for the same work when account is taken of work quality, experience, skill level, and the like?

Same question for hiring: is there evidence that Microsoft or similar companies discriminate in hiring against women with essentially equivalent education and experience, or hire them at lower salaries or for jobs with lower overall advancement potential?

The often repeated statement that women are paid ~78% of what men are paid presents a single number as a claimed representation of an enormous range of job classifications, personal choices, life experience, education, and work experience.

1. Goobertee

Re: By no means a Microsoft fan, but ...

Yes, in some cases discrimination was even a policy. I recall seeing a job posting (an incredible number of years ago) that gave the base salary and that a man would get $350/month more. Obviously, that was before the equality legislation came along, but more than once I've heard the thought that a woman might be less company-oriented because sometimes she might have to care for her family, she might be more concerned for her family than for the company, that she might move away if her husband got a job in another area, that she might have to have time off to have a baby... All of these and more say you're likely to get less value from a woman, at least to the person who was saying it.

The first salary in a job can make a difference, and if a woman were hired by somebody who thought that (nothing in writing or out loud, of course) the pay rate could stick. I'm a white male and I recently retired from a job where each hire contracted for his salary and that was the basis for what you were going to make as long as you were there. A 5% raise for everybody this year, 2% another year, etc. I was hired at a bad economic time so I didn't start out as high as some people had been a few years before and were a few years later. It was informally understood that if I wanted to get ahead, I'd need to take a job somewhere else and be hired at a new rate. I stayed and was fortunate that a few times I received raises to partly catch me up.

Yes, the ~78% is a bare number, without explanation or adjustments for differences. But I think I'd argue that in some significant number of cases, there probably can be found a sex-related factor in that difference.

1. Goobertee

Sometimes it works the other way--rarely

A young lady who had worked for us while she was in university got a job with a major discount retailer (if you're an American, yes--that one), as they apparently needed females in that section of Info Tech. She got a $50,000 signing bonus and a salary about $10,000 higher than any other graduate I knew of. I will point out she was VERY sharp and good at her stuff and there was no hint it was because of anything inappropriate.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"He didn't know how to let me be CEO, and I didn't know how to do it."

Don't worry, Monkey Boy, we noticed.

5. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Joke

Less Title, Taxes and kharma.

She was laughing so hard I thought she'd rip it right off me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like