back to article HTC débuts Desire Eye, 'GoPro-slapper' RE digital snapper

HTC doesn’t reckon it needs any funding next year or even the one after that, according to its chief financial officer, who spoke at the launch of HTC's Desire Eye, a new Android phone with a 13MP camera for "selfies". Chialin Chang told Reuters that the Taiwanese firm has no debt, $1.7bn in cash and isn’t worried about …

1. Vector

Dear HTC

Enough with the carrier exclusives already! First, the One M8 Windows Phone comes out as an exclusive for Verizon. Now, the Desire Eye is being sold exclusively through AT&T.

I don't know how to tell you this but you're not Apple! Few (if any) will switch carriers to get one of your phones. All you are doing is limiting the market for these devices. I would take a look into the Desire Eye since it looks like a good mid-range phone (nice specs, don't care about the cameras) but I'm not switching to AT&T so I guess I'll wait and probably forget.

1. CaptainBanjax

Re: Dear HTC

Word.

2. Shane McCarrick

I beg to differ. I, for one, switched carrier to get an M8.

3. PaulR79

I have a feeling this is an attempt to get the best price for new launches without the foresight to see that it will just limit sales. A timed exclusive is understandable and makes some sense but full exclusives annoy me a lot. I'd love to get the One M8 in red but it's only available on O2 in the UK.

Anyone in the UK will know why this is a bad thing and is made worse by the fact that it's also only available via O2. You can't go through Carphone Warehouse or anyone else to try and escape the stupid upfront costs and a better tariff for the same money. Unfortunately as much as I like it this is why I will never own a new One M8.

2. Sir Gaz of Laz

One M8 was the best phone I had...

...until I finally got an invite for the OnePlus One, which now sits on my desk. The bonus being that I sold the One M8 with a Dotview cover for more that I paid for the 1+, meaning I have bonus beer cash.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like