Sci-fi series withdrawal

This topic was created by Dewix .

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sci-fi series withdrawal

Can anyone recommend a Sci-fi series that doesn't feature stroppy teenagers?

Have reasonably broad lack of taste.

Enjoyed BSG, B5, most star treks, Firefly, Space:Above & beyond & etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sci-fi series withdrawal

+1 for the Space:Above & beyond reference.

There are also, of course, the Stargate variants. I particularly enjoyed Stargate:Universe.

Farscape was mostly enjoyable - the Peacekeeper Wars washup was certainly worth the effort.

All old stuff, though. Modern ones certainly have a surfeit of teenagers.

Almost forgot : Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Yes there are stroppy tenagers in it, but there are also unstoppable killing machines. And Summer Glau.

2. Tim K

Re: Sci-fi series withdrawal

Person of Interest

2. Phil W

Andromeda. Gene Roddenberry cheese in the vein of Star Trek TOS good as long as you can live with it having Kevin Sorbo as the lead.

Earth Final Conflict (though the plot wanders a bit and the last season is ropey)

Continuum

Awake

Personally I'm still wishing they'd finish SGU but I know it's not going to happen.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Terminator was a good series,

Really liked Harvey in Farscape. Made Scorpious' uber S&M villain someone you can relate to.

Liked Stargate. SGU felt like it was trying to be BSG on a smaller scale.

Couldn't get on with Andromeda, I really tried to like it...

I'll keep an eye out for Continuum & Awake.

JustaKOS, Space:A&B is really under rated.

Shame they canned it after a season, for being un-original. Ok, the love story was cheesier than week old feet, but AI's which might/might not be alive, aggressive aliens, Invetros, the smart grenade...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's a shame that so many decent series have been canned. But I wonder : at least they weren't allowed to outstay their welcome, leaving only fond memories.

In my view, SG1, B5 and Andromeda would all have benefited by being properly terminated at least one season early.

1. Phil W

In Andromeda's case I agree with you. Andromeda suffered in later seasons through the fact Robert Hewitt Wolfe was effectively forced off the development of the show because the producers thought his plots were too complex.

I feel Andromeda had/has the potential for spin off series in the style of Star Trek, taking place on different ships either before the fall, or after the events of the final season of Andromeda.

In SG1's case, I'm not sure if I agree with you or not. There were weaknesses to the last season or two, but those 2 seasons only exist due to demand. It had originally been cancelled two seasons earlier and brought back due to popular demand. Also the feature film that wrapped up the story, particularly Ark of Truth rounded things out nicely.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Phil W

Andromeda plots too complex??? idiots. I felt that there were unexplored/dangling threads prior to the last season that were crying out for resolution, but that last season seemed like just padding.

I guess I can't complain about SG1 too much if they were gracious enough to continue to satisfy the fans. I just felt that the magic and mystery had gone, and I really couldn't be bothered with the whole Ori thing. Still, I'll watch it again, no doubt.

1. Phil W

Re: @Phil W

Are you aware of the tissue box campaign?

When SG-1 was initially cancelled, a significant number of fans sent tissue boxes with "send more" written on them to MGM as a campaign to get them to do more seasons. One presumes as a fan of the series you will get the significance of this.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: @Phil W

No, I wasn't aware of the campaign. I get the point though - quite neat really.

2. Vimes

In my view, SG1, B5 and Andromeda would all have benefited by being properly terminated at least one season early.

B5 was actually changed because they thought they might be cancelled at the end of the 4th season and they wanted to get the important parts of the story arc dealt with before then.

The 5th season ended up being rather unexpected from the sounds of things.

From the wikipedia page on B5:

Ratings for Babylon 5 continued to rise during the show's third season, but going into the fourth season, the impending demise of network PTEN left a fifth year in doubt. Unable to get word one way or the other from parent company Warner Bros., and unwilling to short-change the story and the fans, Straczynski began preparing modifications to the fourth season in order to allow for both eventualities. Straczynski identified three primary narrative threads which would require resolution: the Shadow war, Earth's slide into a dictatorship, and a series of sub-threads which branched off from those. Estimating they would still take around 27 episodes to resolve without having the season feel rushed, the solution came when the TNT network commissioned two Babylon 5 television films. Several hours of material was thus able to be moved into the films, including a three-episode arc which would deal with the background to the Earth–Minbari War, and a sub-thread which would have set up the sequel series, Crusade. Further standalone episodes and plot-threads were dropped from season four, which could be inserted into Crusade, or the fifth season, were it to be given the greenlight.[70] The intended series finale, "Sleeping in Light", was filmed during season four as a precaution against cancellation. When word came that TNT had picked up Babylon 5, this was moved to the end of season five and replaced with a newly filmed season four finale, "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars".[71]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5

Personally I wish more comic books could be released for some series. Imagine how the B5 universe could be expanded for example...

4. mark 63 Silver badge

Total Recall

If you can find it , there was a series made called "Total recall" based on the film , although It has far more in common with Bladerunner. That was pretty good I thought.

1. U1traVio1et

Re: Total Recall

I would love to watch that again!

5. Alfred 2

Alphas. Just starting to get into it and the thing was cancelled. As mentioned above there is little good SF around atm. I do not count 100 as SF, just teenage angst.

6. incredibleairplaneparty

If you don't mind animation, I recommend Attack on Titan.

7. Salamamba

Other series

Almost Human was good, but got cancelled after one series. Defiance is excellent,but has a stroppy teen - so contravenes OP requirements.

Continuum has been good,as has Dark Matter.

I've also just got my daughter to start watching Red Dwarf with me, so I'm happy.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big ship fetish

Hello everyone, I'm Dewix and I have a big ship fetishism.

Been suffering withdrawals from BSG and resorted to watching Halo: Infinity on YouTube. A video put together from the games cuts scenes. It was good.

I've come to the conclusion that watching game cut scenes as a fix is a cry for help...

;-)

1. Zmodem

Re: Big ship fetish

you want stargate atlantis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iMHh9Utm8Y

has some of the best battles in sci-fi

9. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Go for one of the classics:

http://www.cultretro.com/german-space-patrol-raumpatrouille-orion/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Never even heard of this one, thank you.

Looks interesting from a quick glance at the photos.

This will be something to watch while the wife's out.

10. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Red Dwarf

Eureka*

Raumpatrouille (Orion)

*a lot of science and a lot of fiction, so technically...

11. jake Silver badge

Read a book.

Or several. Try Blish's "Cities in Flight" series.

That should keep you happily occupied for a week or so ;-)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

German

Try Raumschiff Orion on youtubes

13. M7S

Try Sanctuary

No stroppy teenagers.

Just finished a run in Pick (Sky's freeview channel for stuff that it considers out of date) but things get recycled there every so often (Andromeda is on again) so you might get lucky.

14. U1traVio1et

You might want to try out the first three seasons of The Expanse.

Dark Matter was very cool as well

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon