back to article Hiss-hiss! GIGANTIC SOLAR FILAMENT snakes around Sun

NASA boffins have observed a massive filament of solar material snaking around the Sun. When fully extended the scientists believe that the filament – a cloud of stuff suspended above the fiery star by "powerful magnetic forces" – would measure some one million miles across from end to end. Solar filament (dark thread upper …

1. Michael Thibault

Erm...

What's the point of this yarn?

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Erm...

I don't know, but if it replaced some story about some marriage/divorce I am all for it

2. Michael Thibault

5 thumbs down, eh? Tsk, tsk! Apparently it's necessary to include the joke icon every time.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

5 thumbs down, eh? Tsk, tsk! Apparently it's necessary to include the joke icon every time.

I think the problem is people just didn't follow your thread. They just didn't have that same lightbulb moment as you...

Or perhaps your sense of humour is off by just a hair?

3. Mpeler
      Coat

Size 5 tips, knit and *cough* perl.....

(Hope it's waterproof yarn...)

2. Martin Gregorie

That's about 100 times the size of Earth

This isn't a good size comparison. If you MUST compare it with terrestrial sizes. the Earth's equator is roughly 25000 miles in circumference, so "About 40 times round Earth's equator" would be better, but IMHO "would reach a third of the way round the Sun if stretched out" would be best. The Sun's circumference is 2.74 million miles.

1. phil dude
      Thumb Up

Re: That's about 100 times the size of Earth

It is sufficient that such an amazing object exists in the universe. The fact that our very existence depends intimately on it (we like share the origin of some atoms or other subatomic particles with it), should invoke a sense of awe and wonder.

That, and a call to question our funding priorities...

P.

1. Matt 21

@Phil

"we like share", isn't that Facebook and to be honest I don't think it's nearly as important as you imagine.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's about 100 times the size of Earth

At least give it to us in mega-campbells - some measurement we can imagine anyway. I make that about 420 million elephants stacked end-to-end. African elephants, mind, not including trunk/tail contact points.

3. stuartnz
    Alert

What's a mile?

The REAL problem with the measurements given is that they are not in official El Reg units. All this talk of miles and Earths is far too confusing, give me double decker buses and swimming pools, please

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: What's a mile?

Comes to about 11,637,878br` or 174,568,174ddb" give or take

`Brontosaurus

"Double-decker Bus

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

I presume Double Decker Bus (ddb) is of the Route Master variety. What's the conversion for a Boris Bus (BB), or even a Bendy Bus (bb).

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Flame

No-one knows the length of a bendy-bus. They all caught fire before the tape measure could reach the other end...

1. Mpeler
            Coat

Don't tell me apple makes busses too... (well, OK, they have them in circuits too, so why not....ouch).

iBus....hmmm...somewhere there's an app(le) for that...really app(e)ling.....

(Gets me coat...feets don't fail me now....)

4. Cipher

Showing yet again...

...how little we know about ginormus balls of fusing Hydrogen/Helium...

5. i like crisps
    Unhappy

From your photos..

..the sun appears to have a face! Although tilted to one side it looks as though its saying "Oi" or it is in a great deal of pain. Thank you for the nightmares.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: From your photos..

If it has a face, then presumably it will be able to put a hat on. Hip hip hip hooray!

1. Gavin King
        Coat

Would that make it a sun hat?

1. Bill B

@Gavin. You are obviously far too young to remember the song he's quoting:)

6. Jonathan Richards 1
    Thumb Up

Saw it on the 27th

As it 'appens, I was given a look through a rather good solar telescope at Harrow School's Rayleigh Observatory on the afternoon of 27th September. A curious long feature, probably the precursor to the one seen in these pictures, was clearly visible then. Unfortunately we failed to take any photographs!

1. Sanctimonious Prick
      Mushroom

Re: Saw it on the 27th

How is it one fails to take photographs?

1. Jonathan Richards 1

Re: Saw it on the 27th

> How is it one fails to take photographs?

Couldn't get the right extension tubes arranged to focus with the only DSLR camera available, which was a bit of a disappointment. At the time I had no idea that the long thin sunspotty thing would make it into an El Reg piece...

7. tempemeaty

Cool article...oh wait...

It's amazing what that hot thing we orbit can do sometimes.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Starworm!

Needs to be a science fiction book. :)

1. drewsup
      Facepalm

Re: Starworm!

Thanks, you just gave SyFy channel a new crap movie to make!

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
        Joke

Re: Starworm! (@drewsup)

SunPlanet vs. MoonComet?

I bet I know who wins...

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: Starworm!

An excuse to rework "The Lair of the White Worm",

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095488/

Don't care about Hugh Grant as long as Amanda Donohoe reprises her role. Alas Ken Russell is no longer with us

9. Montreal Sean

uh oh!

That looks disturbingly like the beginnings of a tentacle.

At least there are a couple of planets between us so we'll get some warning when the Sun reaches for it's first appetizer...

1. kryptonaut
      Angel

Re: uh oh!

I reckon it's a Noodly Appendage

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: uh oh!

There could be more truth in that than most may think. There is nothing that says the " filament" could not get much longer and break away from the sun starting at one end and end up having a whip snapping effect of some sort that accelerates a condensed amount of plasma directly at earth. It doesn't take only a space rock or ball of ice hitting this planet to cause a significant amount of damage, but our puny brains make it so much more plausible because we've been here for such a short time. Rock fall from sky, hit earth, go boom, things die, start over. There could be also, sun spits a massive and concentrated "ball" of plasma, hits earth, goes hiss, then boom, things die, start over.

Over time, we live in a very dangerous neighborhood. We just haven't been around long enough to know precisely how dangerous.

1. Sureo

Re: uh oh! (dangerous neighborhood)

I'm glad you're staying up at night worrying about this so I don't have to.

10. bitten

Filament?

The sun is just falling apart to form two separate stars. The filament story is just for the panick prone.

1. Vic

Re: Filament?

The sun is just falling apart to form two separate stars

Nah. It's hatching to release a space dragon or something.

A new one of the same size will be shat out before anyone misses it...

Vic.

11. itzman
    Mushroom

Are we doomed?

I think we should be told.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Are we doomed?

Yes.

1. Alien8n
        Alien

Re: Are we doomed?

Judging from what most people seem to believe according to my Facebook news feed, we don't need the sun to explode to doom the human race. We're quite capable of doing it ourselves...

12. xeroks

Interesting use of the word 'filament'

I've always associated it with long, thin things. Where 'thin' is on a human scale, not a solar scale.

1. Mpeler
      Paris Hilton

Re: Interesting use of the word 'filament'

Have to wonder too, where is the 6.3V filament transformer to keep it lit?

(Paris can't seem to find it either... ;) )...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ok

So there's a long stringy bit of heat sitting on top of the rest of the heat. So what does that mean? What happens now?

1. Ashton Black

Re: Ok

Dooomed... Dooomed I tell ya!!!

1. Duke2010

Re: Ok

"Dooomed... Dooomed I tell ya!!!"

Sounds like it.. Unless you are another bit of heat, then you will be fine.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So..

If this thing is 100 times as big as the earth and Im standing on the earth right now then how big is my wiener?

1. Ashton Black

Re: So..

One would imagine, two short plan(c)k lengths.

15. JoshOvki

First...

First the moon, now the sun?! Next you are going to be telling me we are actually on the back on a huge turtle.

1. Alien8n
      Alien

Re: First...

It's elephants all the way down...

16. evs
    Coat

How long is it?

> would measure some one million miles across from end to end.

It doesn't look that wide in the photo.

17. alwarming
    Mushroom

Not sure if I see the filament...

But I noticed that Baphomet is about to emerge for hellfire...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. doomsday

Hmm. So the resulting doomflare as the filament collapses resulting in the biggest CME since early 1859 knocks out:- GPS, power AND internet over half the planet allowing Ebola to run rampant.

Great, just great.

(scuttles off to figure out how to kludge together a time vehicle using salvaged pinball components, assorted exotic metal oxides, Russian VFD tubes, a few radioactive materials and a not-so-recent somewhat rusty Getz)

-DocBrown

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like