back to article iPhone 6 will make you fork over with Apple Pay if you want to BONK

NFC has struggled to get off the ground as a major smartphone feature. And despite Apple finally deciding to include it in the upcoming Apple Watch and iPhone 6, it doesn't sound like Cupertino will be doing the tech any real favor – because third-party app developers won't be able to access it. Citing an Apple spokesperson, …

1. Anonymous Bullard

As was expected of Apple.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge

To be fair, we expected no less.

I seem to get the feeling this Pay by Bonk outing by Apple will be their Bridge too Far. Time will tell.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is normal

They want to do a controlled test of the technology and make sure their APIs are as good as can be, before releasing them to developers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is normal

nice spin

1. Peter 39

No - it's actually pretty normal for Apple. You do know that they have "header police" that manage what goes into header files, the naming of functions and variables, and a lot more. They are very, very picky.

And even more so with changes to an interface after it has been publicly "released" and made available to developers. That's why some APIs are known but still not permitted for use on iPhones. If your app uses a "private" API then it will be rejected.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's not spin, it's exactly what they've done with TouchID and other features before. As the sole user of this new API, they can make whatever changes they want and not worry about killing third-party apps. Once they've released the API, they have to support it, pretty much forever, so it makes sense to get it right before releasing it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Its spin. Apple still dont support Bluetooth profiles yet, only the ones that suit apple, not what suits users.

If you want good Bluetooth support, android is your only choice (windows phone is z bugfest of bluetooth horrors even on the limited profiles it supports)

Nfc waa put in the iphone purely to make money for apple, not so you can pair your speaker.

1. cambsukguy

Hmm, I wonder if you have a WinPhone to test that statement on, I do.

I use BT all the time to play music via A2DP over headphones.

It happily lets me connect two devices, one for music and one for hands free, correctly routing the sound and the commands (this is not such a strange use case if you have BT as a music system in your car).

It happily allows music track control via a headset, voice commands via the car headset and even works when I connect it to a laptop whose sound is connected on to a decent audio system. Windows then pops up an AV control dialog which also works.

I regularly transfer files to and from other phones using NFC/BT or just BT, this also works well and seems to use BT4.0/1 features such as high speed too.

I have sent contact cards over BT also.

Still, not having looked at BT profiles lately I suppose there could be ones that I need, just not sure what they are. The ones I have seem far from bug-infested.

3. Velv

Catch-22

There won't be widespread uses for NFC until it's easy for developers to leverage, and Apple won't open it up to developers until they come up with new uses.

1. Topperfalkon

What, you mean like the uses Android have found for it?

4. Peter 39

third-party usage

Remember that third-party apps can use Apple Pay. Target has already said that it will do its own app, and perhaps others will too. It's just "naked NFC" that's not allowed.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: third-party usage

Which is a shame, my Yubikey NEO works a treat as second factor authentication for my LastPass safe on my smartphones (Galaxy S3 and Lumia 1020).

2. Velv
      Pirate

Re: third-party usage

Target - now there's a company that inspires confidence when one thinks of payment handling...

5. Richard Jones 1
    WTF?

Another reason Not To Use NFC?

NFC has had a long lonely road so far and this apple idea is not going to make it any less lonely.

I see that transport in London is now trying to push it on buses and its trains but that is another don't care for me.

Who is the person who wants NFC anyway?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Another reason Not To Use NFC?

For payments at least, that last line reflects my own reason for objecting; anything the banks 'want' is usually far more for their benefit than for customers, and can on occasion bite back at those customers. Like the Natwest customers who had money taken via telephone banking in unauthorised transactions, for with Natwest refused to compensate. In some cases the customers claimed they hadn't even enabled the service.

I personally don't struggle to find way to pay in shops as it is with the methods available, and cash has the advantage that it's quick, impersonal where personal details are concerned, and for larger transactions the shop will waste more of my time with queueing than the extra 3 seconds it takes to get my card out and put it away.

The most stupid justification for NFC is that you might lose or be mugged for cash; fine. I'll be a hundred quid light, but thats as bad as it gets afterward.

2. eSeM

Re: Another reason Not To Use NFC?

Err ... me! I use it almost every day to pay for stuff. One of the most useful things I can do with my phone.

6. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Slip a Canadian Debit card into your iPhone 6's case, behind the phone

Bonk away, straight from your chequeing account.

It'll confuse onlookers anyway...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Slip a Canadian Debit card into your iPhone 6's case, behind the phone

Why Canadian? I can do this with my NatWest debit card.

7. bpfh
    FAIL

$300 mobe?

What are you smoking, and can I have some?

Sign up a NEW contract and it may "only" cost you 299 - up front. Get it nicked a week later, trust me, your telco will not cough up a new one for "just" 299. And they may even screw you out of the insurance they sold you too, probably due to exposing it in public and making a display" or some other BS answer to wriggle out of their obligations and still sting you for a swift $900-1000 for somthing less capable than a laptop half it's price...

1. Russell Hancock

Re: $300 mobe?

Whilst i agree about the whole "less capable than a laptop..." line i would love to see you take a laptop out of your pocket to answer a call!

It is the same for any top end phone - they all cost as much as, or more than, a very nice laptop and are all less useful to me in one way or another (can't run Visual Studio / SQL management studio on any of them)... But then i wouldn't try and carry my laptop in my pocket either...

Cheers

8. Chris 171
    Holmes

As with anything apple...

Try to get any of their devices to work with another manufacturers thing and the NFC becomes aptly relevant. No F#cking Chance.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: As with anything apple...

Hmmm, isn't that the point of Apple Pay? i.e. it has to work with other bits of kit that has been made by lots of different copmanies?

Secnario:-

Walk into store with iPhone 6/6+. Merchant has Brand 'X' Point of sale. As long as it is NFC enabled, it will work with apple Pay.

Walk into next store and use yopur iPhone on Brand 'Y' POS.

rinse and repeat.

1. Fluffy Bunny
        Mushroom

I don't think that's how crApple Pay is meant to work. A non iDevice won't work on a crApple Pay reader. It may have a compatability mode that allows a regular chip on a card to work, but it will block an Android or other competing smart device.

The point is that native NFC payment works fine. Only crApple needs it's own dedicated payment system for fill it's own pockets.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
          FAIL

The retailer's NFC card reader is standard, if the retailer needs a new card reader it's because they don't have card readers which deal with NFC at the moment.

While this means little change in Europe as iPhones will use the same terminals that you can already use for paying with contactless bank cards, it means wholesale card reader upgrades in the US which is expensive as NFC card readers have yet to be rolled out en masse. iPhones and contactless bank cards don't work in Walmart or Best Buy because they won't upgrade to NFC card readers, instead Walmart and Best Buy have their own mobile payment app called CurrentC which doesn't use NFC at all.

Apple came to a deal with retailers, maybe that deal included subsidising card reader upgrades in the US or maybe they just sold them stories of hoards of fanbois paying by bonk in their shops.

Apple's deal with the banks is if they're willing to have their cards registrable in Passbook and willing to pay Apple a commission of 0.15%. Apparently they view Passbook with Touch ID as secure enough to warrant such a high (in the banks' view) commission. I'm sure Apple's commission will be recovered by the banks by raising merchant fees anyway.

9. returnmyjedi

This isn't an issue as Apple users have been telling us mere mortals for years that NFC is good for nowt and just a gimmick, so why would they want to make life that little bit easier with quick Bluetooth pairing and such like. Tis just a gimmick, fools.

10. jai

and this is a bad thing?

/IF/ you are inclined to use NFC for payments, then you have to trust someone not to be stealing your money while you're doing it. Personally, I'd be more inclined to trust a massive company to at least be making it as secure as possible, . The alternative is that you're placing your trust in some unknown 3rd party developer who's released a payment app for free, but for some reason, it also asks you to take a photo of your card and type in your social security number...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like