back to article Hackers-for-hire raided 300 banks, corporates for TWELVE YEARS

A band of hackers for hire have raided some 300 banks, corporations and governments undetected for 12 years, possibly the longest campaign of its kind. The German hackers registered 800 front businesses in the UK to target and fully compromise organisations in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria at the request of customers. …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Welcome to the UK

I get on average (after passing a fairly comprehensive antispam filter set) 1-2 emails a day that look like they originate from a fully legitimate UK company. They are extremely well done. No grammar errors, professionally drafted letters, content looks 100% legit. The only give-away is uninteligible one-off domain name under co.uk.

I have not noticed any spears in them - they so far do not have attachment and I never visit any of the links advertised, but I would not be surprised if some of them are spearfish too.

1. Test Man

Re: Welcome to the UK

Doh!

They're probably legit - lots of companies use marketing companies or marketing IT systems that run campaigns behind alternative domains.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

German Secret service?

My guess is this is GCHQ getting a bit of revenge on the Germans by outing their spying.

4. tony2heads
    Black Helicopters

Crooks spent $150,000

This is clearly very organized crime - or maybe government 'black op'?

5. M7S

Did they by any chance have red hair?

As I seem to remember this being a feature of House Harkonnen

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0008386/quotes

1. frank ly

Re: Did they by any chance have red hair?

They certainly have some twisted mentats working for them.

6. dan1980

What this shows is that it is very difficult to protect against a professional, organised and well-funded attack.

1. Tex Arcana

"What this shows is that it is very difficult to protect against a professional.."

It also shows how corporations undervalue their need for security, not to mention underpay their security wonks...

7. Donkey Molestor X

Harkonnen missile approaching

The Harkonnen always did have the best special units in Dune II. Ma'fuggin' Death Hand. Ordos, keep your stinkin' saboteur in the stable. Atreides, stop greasing Hark' tank treads with your Fremen!

8. Elmer Phud

Familiar

Seems very similar to how 'legitimate' banking works.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like