back to article NASA on Curiosity bot: Mission accomplished (for now at least)

NASA and JPL scientists have declared the first stage of Curiosity's ongoing mission to explore strange new places on Mars a success, after the laser-equipped space tank reached the foothills of Mount Sharp. The road ahead for Curiosity The winding road ahead for Curiosity (click to enlarge) "Curiosity now will begin a …

1. WildW

I understand now

NASA have confirmed that Mars once had water oceans and had the right conditions to support microbial life. I see their next lander, InSight, will land on Mars and drill deeper into the surface. I'm now convinced that the Americans are looking for oil on Mars.

2. Kaltern

Still rolling... still astounded.

I posted a while ago about how truly amazing it is to see high quality pictures from another planet... I'm still amazed now, and am in utter awe of the minds and hands that designed and built everything to do with this mission...

Our world might be one fucked up place, but Curiosity is enjoying the peace and tranquillity humans can only dream of.

1. DuncanL
      Coat

Re: Still rolling... still astounded.

Curiosity is enjoying the peace and tranquillity humans can only dream of.

No, Tranquillity is on the Moon...

2. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: Still rolling... still astounded.

It give you hope, for...

If man survives for as long as the least successful of the dinosaurs—those creatures whom we often deride as nature's failures—then we may be certain of this: for all but a vanishingly brief instant near the dawn of history, the word 'ship' will mean— 'spaceship.'

- Arthur C Clarke

3. Grikath
    Happy

curioser and curiositier

Very excited about this one. :)

Even if curiosity does not find any (direct) evidence of extraterrestrial life as such, a decent slice of extraterrestrial planetary history is basically priceless already for so many scientific disciplines.

Drive on, brave chariot!

1. Rustident Spaceniak
      Happy

Re: curioser and curiositier

You never know, they might hit upon the Martian equivalent of the dinosaurs in the next weeks. And then of course, Steven Spielberg won't take long to make a movie about them!

4. breakfast Silver badge
    Angel

At least we're not losing touch with serious science.

Often new technology is quickly twisted by our obsessive minds towards some sexual outcome, so it's good to see that NASA avoid this by having sent a robot to Mars to drill some buttes.

1. MarkTheMorose
      Go

Re: At least we're not losing touch with serious science.

Drilling the butte in a heavenly body, even...

2. MarkTheMorose
      Trollface

Re: At least we're not losing touch with serious science.

"Often new technology is quickly twisted by our obsessive minds towards some sexual outcome..."

There's another reason for new tech?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like