back to article Apple iCloud storage prices now ONLY double Dropbox, Google et al

While the world+dog was focused on Apple's new iPhones and shiny new smart(ish)watch, the firm quietly cut the price it charges for the iCloud storage system. The revised price plan on the iCloud website shows that Cupertino is still offering the first 5GB for free, but the next 20GB will now cost US$0.99 a month, 200GB will …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And Google

Yea it sucks when you use weak passwords and your account is hacked. Also it looks like Google got hit with something as well this week!! Better rest your Google passwords as well!!!

2. RegHandle0010

All this time and idiot-geeks don't get it!

1. Breen Whitman

Apple users aren't geeks.

They're hipsters. Faux geeks who wear "nerd glasses". Geeks have degrees in CS or maths. Or have dropped out to code. And work hard.

Apple users drop out of their marketing courses to drive around europe in a combi van then flounce about in some job that doesn't actually create anything.

1. whatevs...

You're confusing 'nerd' for 'geek'. What you are describing is a nerd, or a Register commenter. Yes, me included.

1. Indolent Wretch

Whatever he is confusing with whatever.

The typical Apple users is neither a geek nor a nerd.

1. Stretch

no they are what we call "twats"

3. Alan Denman

And I thought it was Freemium...

....in that they could have made a mint charging third party snoopers who want to see your illegal big assets.

Did they boob?

4. johnnymotel

Same old, same old faux vitriol from El Reg.

5. Financegozu
    Thumb Down

Some people seem to never grow up ...

... but it's OK, it's all about clicks

6. HungrySysadmin
    WTF?

Actually it's about the same

I subscribe to Google drive and since you can ONLY pay in USD MONTHLY we Brits get hammered by currency charges.

Google Drive 100GB @ $1.99

+ $0.40 tax + £1.00 card currency fee = £2.44 per month

iCloud 200GB @ £2.99 per month

I have an Android so I'm not switching but gig for gig I'd be better off with iCloud!

1. Tom Wood

Re: Actually it's about the same

That's hardly Google's fault. Get a better credit card. They don't all charge for foreign transactions: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. HungrySysadmin

Re: Actually it's about the same

I'm offshore so they're not available to me.

Hardly Google's fault? I pay for every other Google subscription and purchase in GBP, so why not Google Drive?

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. 45RPM Silver badge

Wow, shilling much?

But who are you shilling for?

I don’t dispute that it would be very nice if Apple’s prices were lower*, especially since iCloud backup doesn’t even work with the lowest (free) subscription. It would be nice, for example, if the ‘free’ subscription capacity was tied to the capacity of your iOS device. Bought a 16GB iPhone? Get 16GB free, in perpetuity. Bought yourself a 32GB iPad to go with your 16GB phone? Add 32GB to your subscription. Very soon, a regular upgrader would have more storage than they could possibly use (bragging rights only) - and it wouldn’t be as prohibitively costly to Apple as it might first appear because very few people would use anything like their allotted allocation.

The Celebrigate fiasco is so irrelevant to the discussion that I don’t know why you even brought it up (except, perhaps, to give the lie to the rest of your piece). The breach was caused by piss-poor passwords, an error that could trip up any platform - yes, even Windows or Android. Apple’s ‘fault’ was insufficient alerting to web logons, and I imagine that it’s a ‘fault’ that other platforms are vulnerable to too. Apple has fixed that hole - and I imagine that the others have too, whilst thanking the FSM that it wasn’t one of their users that got tripped up first.

1. JaimieV

Re: Wow, shilling much?

"since iCloud backup doesn’t even work with the lowest (free) subscription."

Rubbish - I've been backing up my phone and ipad to it for free ever since it was offered. Currently using 3.5gig of space.

Otherwise I agree with everything you say.

9. Old Handle
    WTF?

Wait...

You mean you have to PAY for the privilege of having your nude selfies stolen? I'd assumed that feature came free with the phone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like