back to article Intel's DDR4-friendly Xeon workhorses bolt for workstations, servers

Intel's latest-generation Xeon E5 v3 processors first showed up in systems from the likes of Dell last month, but Chipzilla made them generally available on Monday – with all of 32 different parts heading for OEMs and the channel. The new Xeon E5-2600 v3 and E5-1600 v3 chips are all based on Intel's x86-64 Haswell …

1. ColonelClaw

Disappointed that Intel didn't increase the value proposition of the V3s over the V2s. Instead they just made the new higher core count chips proportionally more expensive. If you spend, say, a thousand quid on a Xeon V2 and a V3 you get very nearly the same amount of processing power. (source: Scan Computers who have them in their store)

Guess that's what happens when you have no competition.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Firstly, cock to clock frequency comparisons don't tell the whole story as Haswell is a micro architecture update over Ivy Bridge and therefore provides up to twice the FLOPS/clock using AVX2, updated AES-NI encryption, better virtualisation support, etc.

But, using Scan...

E5-2650 v3 (£865) costs 2% less than an E5-2650 v2 (£882) and although the base clock speed is lower (different micro-architecture) it supports 25% more threads (10 vs 8)

E5-2660 v3 (£1070) costs 2% more than an E5-2660 v2 (£1050) but has 18% higher core clock frequency (difficult to draw a direct comparison due to micro-architecure change, but it's only going to be better...)

E5-2670 v3 (£1178) costs 1.5% more than an E5-2670 v2 (£1161) but supports 20% more threads (12 vs 10)

I'd argue that the price/performance is not the same.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

cock to clock?

raises some interesting lines of imagination?......too busy to edit eh?

2. Bronek Kozicki

DDR4

It may be a big deal for some, for me this means change of platform. This I'd rather stay with previous generation Xeons E5 v2 running in "old" LGA 2011 socket with 64GB of DDR3 I already have (and do not use - but it was relatively cheap!).

3. John Savard

Baker's Dozen

Eighteen cores. I like that; this means that units with 16 cores might be available (relatively) inexpensively. Although at present, the mass market apparently will have to be satisfied with a measly six cores, with eight cores only available to enthusiasts with deep pockets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like