back to article Goog says patch⁵⁰ your Chrome

Google has dropped 50 patches for its flagship Chrome browser plugging holes and handed $30,000 to a lone bug hunter who reported a dangerous sandbox-busting attack. A clever chained combo of multiple flaws, reported to Google and patched, allowed attackers to crawl out of Chrome's security sandbox and execute code remotely. …

1. MrT

"lokihardt@asrt the rare "

I thought that was his full title... mobe pagination and stray eyesight leading to Medieval titling timeslip.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "lokihardt@asrt the rare "

"Goog says patch⁵⁰ your Chrome "

Or just delete it and use IE instead for fewer holes / patches and not being spyware by design...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sometimes I wonder if any of the fuckups MS make are by design. Spyware by accident certainly fits the bill though. These are the people that give you a BSOD in a regular update cycle and make Windows 8.1 an mandatory upgrade while making you unable for you to upgrade to it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

haha, QOTW: Or just delete it and use IE instead for fewer holes / patches and not being spyware by design...

I actually thought you were serious, until I read it again.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I actually thought you were serious, until I read it again."

Pretty sure that was serious - IE does historically have far fewer security holes than Chrome if you look at the patch / CVE lists.

"like NSA backdoors, etc.."

Thought that was Open BSD?

3. revdjenk

@AC

Running Linux, so MS keeps me from IE and its own set of problems, like NSA backdoors, etc..

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sure..where in the android store did MS put ie....

Hmm not in the apple app store either.

Mac app store...

Nope.

Git hub?

Nope.

Not very popular this ie is it...

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Google or Apple?

was out of the ordinary for Cupertino

Google is normally referred to as being from Mountain View while Cupertino is reserved for Apple…

3. The Vociferous Time Waster

Cupertino?

Mountain View and Cupertino are a little way from each other. Perchance El Reg has been writing too much Crapple related click bait recently?

1. DrXym

Re: Cupertino?

Mountain View and Cupertino are practically next door to each other though Google and Apple's HQ would take you about 20 minutes to drive between. Yahoo is closeby too.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprise!!

Why is it that when we see the word "exploit" or the phrase "security problems/issues", the article is always about Microsoft?

People need to give themselves a shake and stop using MS products!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surprise!!

What are you going on about? No where did they talk about Microsoft beyond stating that they now support 64bit Chrome on Windows.

2. Ikkabar

Re: Surprise!!

Please explain how an arcticle about Google Chrome has suddenly been transmuted into one about Microsoft products? I seem to have missed it somehow...

1. ratfox
        Angel

Re: Re: Surprise!!

Whooooosh!

5. Buzzword

Silverlight still works

Silverlight works fine in this new 64-bit Chrome: I've just tried it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

64 bit Chrome doesn't play with Flash

All a bit pointless then...

EDIT: Realise now that the built-in Flash player does work. Ignore this post!

7. thomas k.
    Megaphone

loads cat vids FIFTEEN PERCENT faster!

Booyah!

8. DrXym

Built-in flash isn't necessarily any more secure

It just means when a vuln is discover Google are more in control of the patching cycle which is an extremely good thing.

The problem with Flash player is not so much the player as the execrable update process. Adobe's Flash updater makes users run a startup process, go through half a dozen clicks (while their browser is closed), avoid installing crapware toolbars by accident and generally does everything to discourage people from using it at all. Is it any wonder people don't keep their plugin up to date?

9. Yugguy

Are there any browser that just browse?

Are there any? That just browse? No pointless plugins or toolbars that I neither need nor want?

1. Uplink

Re: Are there any browser that just browse?

Lynx? NetSurf?

Lynx is text-only. NetSurf is graphical, but has no Javascript. What level of "just browsing" do you need?

1. Yugguy

I'd like one that doesn't try and second guess everything I do.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Chrome or Chromium - just don't install the plugins.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Not Chrome, Iron...

3. Jes.e

Well, the browser in BlackBerry 10 is so good that I wish I *could* run an ad blocker and Ghostery and automatic cookie disposal like I can run in Firefox and Chrome.

Fast and slick and beats everything but Chrome on the HTML5 test. (as of last week)

Lovely minimalist interface too but a bit of a shock.

In fact, the OS comes with Flash but I keep that disabled.

Lest this sound like an ad-

Plugins and extensions come with security risks:

Adblock Plus 1.8.3 on Chrome comes with "Access your data on all websites" and "Access your tabs and browsing history".

These two permissions are very common in Chrome world.

Do you trust your plug-in author?

And text only browsers such as Lynx aren't very useful on today's Web. They would be if Web designers coded for disabled folks using Web standards but they don't as evidenced by viewing pages on the obsolete Android browser or in Lynx.

Sorry I got away from the topic there but yes, the best "just browse" browser is on BlackBerry

You might want to see if you can still grab a copy of Opera Mini or iCab for your platform.

Opera Mini will strip out ads and compress your graphics to reduce your bandwidth.

iCab (for the Mac) came with a button informing you how compliant the HTML on the page is. [and that's another story]

10. Roby

The sooner Netflix goes to HTML5 instead of Silverlight, the better.

1. phil dude
      FAIL

netflix, html5, trojan horse...

Well it turns out that the lovely DRM that google is going to stuff in chrome will let Netflix run on linux.

I think it is a trojan horse, to allow the <insert expletive> companies from getting us to run their crappy walled gardens for them.

DRM should be used SOLELY to verify the code, not hide it.

If you want to hide your code from the serfs, that's what SAAS is for...

P.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm seriously thinking of switching from Chrome. With every update and release the thing seems to hoover more and more memory. It does this on my OS X device and my Windows 7 device. Really can't understand why it has become so bad, but it is getting to the point where Firefox seems like a viable alternative unless they fix this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I'm seriously thinking of switching from Chrome. With every update and release the thing seems to hoover more and more memory"

Chrome also eats battery on Windows laptops, tablets, etc.

2. Skoorb

Not a bad idea actually

I've noticed the same thing; rediculous RAM usage on desktop systems and have had another look at Firefox as a result.

Firefox seems to have improved from a few years ago, and most of the same add ons as in Chrome seem to be readily avaliable as well if you are after them.

In terms of this article though, Mozilla currently only release a 64 bit version on Linux, though someone has forked Windoes Firefox and compiled it for 64 bit, with pretty decent results (as long as you are using an Intel processor) https://www.waterfoxproject.org/.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not a bad idea actually

Another 64-bitter is Palemoon (http://www.palemoon.org/) which I've used. I've been on Chrome for a while and it's hitting the wall on every machine save the 32+ GByters

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've been using Pale Moon for some things; not bad. It's a mod of Firefox 24.x, so no newfangled GUI, and readily available in 64-bit. Only problem is FF24 is becoming obsolete already (it's a whole year old) and FF29+ is crap... what to do? Oh nice - fork Firefox! (http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5440)

Still using Chrome/Chromium for development though... it has the best devtools and the most users, by far. That's the way it is...

12. dotdavid

Chrome engineer and "Embiggener of Bits" Will Harris

Show-off.

13. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Did they fix the endless crashes yet?

Google's Chrome browser, running of Google's Android OS, on a Google Nexus Tablet. All fresh and clean and up-to-date. Move your finger too quickly between tabs (details omitted) and the browser locks up.

So I tried Firefox for Android. Gawd almighty, what a pig's breakfast that is.

14. julian abbs

how do you do the superscript "⁵⁰"

in windows, i can do "²" and "³" (alt+numpad"+"+numpad"0178" for "²") but i can't seem to reproduce other superscript characters without copying and pasting

sorry if it's off topic but enquiring minds want to know

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like