back to article This is how I set about making a fortune with my own startup

I'm not a brilliant businessman nor a star academic nor a rocking developer, but I'm reasonable at a couple of those things and currently have a well-paid contract in the City (i.e. banking) where I have spent most of the last 20 years in a variety of BigCos. So why would I give it all up to save the planet and have fun, and …

1. The Axe

Trying to save the UK, whilst the world carries on regardless

Good luck with trying to save the world. Read this presentation and think again about the point of your project.

http://www.bishop-hill.net/storage/ECMA.Aberdeen.actual.pdf

1. Joe 35

Re: Trying to save the UK, whilst the world carries on regardless

File not found, try again?

1. Simon Buttress

works for me.

1. Joe 35

Interesting. It works if I cut and paste the link, but not if I select it and right click "open in a new tab"

Page Not Found

The page /storage/ECMA.Aberdeen.actual.pdf could not be located on this website.

We recommend using the navigation bar to get back on track within our site. If you feel you have reached this page in error, please contact a site operator. Thank you!

Return to the Front Page »

1. The Axe

Try this link instead - http://www.bishop-hill.net/blog/2014/8/25/kelly-on-the-engineering-challenge.html

2. BillG
          Go

Are you actually interested in and engrossed in your idea? It'll feel less like hard work if you are!

That should actually be bullet point #1.

2. Joe 35

Its somewhat disingenuous to state that you "saved £1,000 a year on you home electricity bill" when it turns out that what you actually mean is that you saved £1,000 a year on the bill of a small ISP with a shed load of computing equipment. Hardly what the average or even keen hobbyist might have, how many have Air Conditioning fitted in their homes to cool their PCs down?

1. stucs201

Indeed. For me to save that much on my electricity bill the electricity company would be paying me.

3. Daedalus

Nothing Duff about this guy

Don't underestimate the effect of the name "Hart-Davis" in getting yourself heard....

4. Clive Summerfield
    Meh

What's in a name

So being the son of Adam Hart-Davis, grandson of Sir Rupert Hart-Davis, nephew of Duff and indirectly related to both Elizabeth II and David Cameron didn't help to open any doors to receptive listeners then?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's in a name

Thank you for pointing this out for us Americans who wouldn't recognize a member of the British upper class unless they were competing in Monty Python's Twit of the Year competition.

2. Daedalus

Re: What's in a name

If Damon is really Adam's son, then Lordy be I may have met him many years ago back when A H-D was working for YTV and complaining about not being able to mention the word "molecule" on air. Got invited to sup, don't you know. Wasn't invited back!

5. mark 63 Silver badge

not a problem , i dont have a well paid job

6. Bruno Girin

Side projects

On a related note, those who want to start a side project and make it into a real business could do worse than reading this book: http://www.rachelandrew.co.uk/books/the-profitable-side-project

7. Peter Johnston 1

Good for you, Damon. If you live in (or can get to) the Thames Valley I'd love you to come and tell us the story at Thames Valley Startups in Reading. Our Internet of Things Group would be interested too.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't understand why so many people have such a 'down' on CO2, the natural plant food without which we would all be starving.

It is not even the primary greenhouse gas - unless it is actually used in greenhouses to increase cropping - water vapour beats it hands down.

The only reason that I can see why they make such a fuss about it is because bankers are trying to make big money from carbon trading. If they do make money on it it will be the 'small' people that will be paying it in raised prices.

1. MyffyW Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Personally speaking I refuse to get overexcited about CO2 levels, appreciate there is a difference between climate and weather and that the science of both is complex.

But it also seems to me burning stuff that comes out of the ground and will run out in a few hundred years time (best case) is probably not the wisest long-term plan. It also makes sense to me to reduce ones energy bill provided it doesn't require a hair-shirt.

9. Gordan
    FAIL

Oh, the embarrasment

http://opentrv.org.uk

Error establishing a database connection

10. a well wisher

Does this get over the basic issue of normal TRV usage which requires the boiler to be 'on' 24 hours a day ?

i.e can it switch the boiler on when ANY TRV is calling for heat and leave it off the rest of the time ?

EDIT : RTFM !: Yes it does

"That implies thermostats per heating zone, possibly even per room, controlling local TRVs to regulate temperature and able to bring on the boiler ("call for heat" or "boiler interlock" are common terms) if any zone needs heat "

11. Benjol

If you've got the option of building a new house, you could do worse than this: http://www.tonyshouse.cowlings.org.uk/

1. future research

I did that built my own house. Underfloor heating throughout. Only heated by solar thermal, of logs in a boiler stove.

I put in lots of temperature sensors everywhere so I could do my own heating control. It turns out the difference in temperature between the rooms ends up being minimal, so I may not bother. Manually turning it on when needed seems to work fine, the fire has to be maintained away. Generally only downstairs is heated unless it is really cold.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

If you've got the option of building a new house...

Could also google Mike Hillard Tranquility Houses...

12. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit
    Pint

Ah, sanity

This sounded interesting but I remained sceptical until I could establish whether it was another damn Nest. Thankfully it didn't take many clicks to find this:

- OpenTRV should not require the Internet or smartphones to operate; it should be possible to do basic operations with a simple UI physically at the radiator or its associated control unit.

Excellent. Good luck Damon

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like